I Forge Iron

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Anvils in America has 2 shots of the Centennial Exhibition Stack with the 1400# Fisher in it, good clear picture on page 155.

I'm restricting my purchases until after I get power in my shop as I expect it to be $$$$$ and my job could end at any time.

Thomas, power to the shop..  :)   I just got the sign off on the NG now I just have to pay them 1000.00.. 

Since you are a reader..  I thought the book was splendid and recommend it for a good read.. Love the layout inside it too. 

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

1550829982_SaltcorrodedFisher.thumb.jpg.293eb592eb32df4d01eff13afca81755.jpg

Many Fisher anvil have stood the test of time, and more.  This Fisher anvil served as an anchor for an offshore mooring for many years in salt water.  The lugs were worn off, and a lot of the steel corroded.  But there is enough left of the faceplate that the anvil could still be used.  This was the first Fisher anvil in the collection many years ago.  It was a great buy at $5 at an auction next to Sandy Hook Bay, NJ.  For the complete story of this anvil plus lots more, please consider my book, "The History of Fisher & Norris, Eagle Anvil Works".  Available at shop.fishernorris.com.

• 4 weeks later...

Newest addition to the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum collection: #4 Fisher Parallel Screw Vise, great shape, made around 1920.  It is at least 100 years old.  This vise is 120 lbs, heavy enough to use as an anvil.  Finding these is getting harder, and finding ones that are affordable is even rarer.

The extra steel has since been removed from the mounting area.  It is nice to find pieces that are ready for use.  The missing leg is an easy fix.

204355789_4vise2021.thumb.jpg.89badc115d3269bd34a5975299a90db2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Josh: Your computer would pull the pic from the file on your computer so you'll see it even if it's not working. Other folks are seeing it but It's still blank for me on a PC, running Windoze 8.? and Chrome. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice matching pair of 130 lb. Fisher anvils on marked factory stands added into the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  The left one was made in 1912.  The right one was made in 1917.  Interesting that the stand on the right has "130" cast into it, indicating the size anvil it was made for.  It also has the logo with USA in the middle.  This style was only done around this era.

1432646917_130pair.thumb.jpg.c3ed3c0f695c6fbdbee0c500d1818999.jpg

5 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Great pieces..  Love to hear some history of where they came from too.. 

Was it a boys school or something me wonders? 

I believe they came out of a small factory.  I will follow up to try to get more information.