I Forge Iron

the watering can

ausfire

I have been blacksmithing for only a short while with mixed success. I use a stone forge with a cast iron blower and I always use charcoal for fuel. It's free, clean and easy to get.

There are no smiths working around my area of Australia so it's hard to find good information or help. Books I have read all say part of the blacksmiths' equipment required is a can with holes in it for watering the forge. I made one, but am not sure why. I have had no cause to use it and things seem to go well without it. Am I missing something here? Why would you want to sprinkle water on a forge fire???

Charcoal tends to burn up fast, and a little water around the edges can help slow the spread of combustion outside the working zone. Charcoal can not be made to clump because it has no volatiles left, but if you wet it, you can keep the top of a deep fire from burning up as fast.

Raw coal is known as green coal, before it gets made into coke. Dampened green coal can be made to stick together in a beehive shape roof, which helps reflect the radiant heat. The tarry volatiles will boil out, fuse and connect the lumps into a temporary rigid structure. Thus giving you a hollow fire chamber inside the shell in order to get an even soaking heat on a small part. Much like working in a gas forge, even heat on all sides.

If you are cooking big iron you need a big fire... small irons... small fire!  I control my fire size and shape and the overall heat level by adding damp coal or by sprinkling the edges of my fireball.  I would call my sprinkler essential, though I use it only once in a while on most days!  I use coal and it often has LOTS of dust... which when cooked at the fire edges while wet becomes nice large glowing hunks that can be used to roof a fireball or to spread heat out to heat longer pieces of metal! Without water the dust would just blow up the chimney... WASTED!  By keeping my fireball HOT and concentrated while keeping the edges of my fire cooler I am able to get quick heats just where I am working on the metal... this is a big advantage of coal forging that requires skilled fire control... MUCH HARDER to do without a sprinkler can full of water!  Charcoal is different but has the disadvantage of putting out much more ambient heat (the heat that cooks the SMITH)!  This can be limited a bit by keeping the fireball sized appropriately for the work at hand.  Even barbecue grillmasters keep spray bottles handy to manage their charcoal fires!

If you use a cast iron fire pot you should not use a water can. You should be using a wet mop. a water can can cause the fire pot to crack. You are using charcoal I have never used water while using charcoal. Now on the other hand with green coal it is very handy. but again caution when using a water can with a cast fire pot.

Thank you for the advice. My forge is made of stone with an ant-bed base and one of those hand driven blowers, so I have no worries about cracking fire pots.

The comment above about charcoal's ambient heat 'cooking the smith' is dead right. In tropical Australia, I often find myself working in 40+ degrees. Perhaps a little water on top of the charcoal would help keep the heat where it belongs and not too much heading in my direction.

Thanks again for the information. Much appreciated.

• 6 months later...

hey mate, i'm in gordonvale,

i prefer charcoal, rather than coal or coke.

i don't work as a blacksmith full time, (i'm a cane train driver), but i did my industrial blacksmith trade in brissie, i'd be happy to come and give you some tips some time,

woody.

I forged with charcoal for years and a watering can was essential to controlling the fire and not burning thru too much fuel too quickly. Switching to coal I find I use the watering can a lot less, but still need to control the fire and often times cool off the end of what I'm working on. especially if the piece is in a long, soaking heat.

When I used charcoal I limited the size of the fire by moving the fire brick I used instead of a fire pot. Fire depth is more important than width, just wide, long enough to heat the iron and deep enough to consume all the oxy is perfect.

A potential problem you can run into with a variable fire is if you make it really small. Seriously, I messed with it till I could make a coffee cup size fire and weld. If it gets less than about 3-4" across you have to break the charcoal up more or it won't consume all the oxy without being really deep. Corn kernel size is about as small as I found "practical" but even a little puff of air can blow burning coals out of the fire so be really REALLY careful. (go ahead, ask how I know. <grin>)

Frosty The Lucky.

a soupcan on a handle with some holes punched with a nail on 1/2 the solid bottom---so you scoop water on the un-holy side and apply it by twisting the wrist and shifting it to the holy side...

Me I use a ladle I forged but very little as I don't have excess charcoal on the forge---it's all in the raised sided firepot or in the lidded charcoal store or bag away from the forge---or in the campfire till I need it.

• 3 weeks later...

I do have a nice looking watering can. The hole size and number of holes is the key.

I seldom use it. I don't have to. I use coal and it really doesn't seem to make much difference to me/in my opinion. I can make an oven w/o the water by simply sprinking green coal over the fire. It coaks together right away and creates that dome to hold in heat.  That is to say when I feel like I need a dome. I seldom use one.

I have used a bit of water to control the size of the fire when I need a real hot fire. It grows in size with a lot of air flow. Thus the water assists me to keep it controlled i.e. smaller.

• 3 months later...

I saw a smith using one at a demonstration years ago and made one for myself.  I didn't punch holes in the bottom, but used it to cool the rebar handles I weld to billets in my gas forge.  So far I've rusted out two cans, quick and easy to replace.  The third one I punched holes in the bottom for use with my new coal forge.  With a gas forge you don't heat just one spot, you've got a flame coming out the front that makes your handle hard to hold on to.

We had a fellow from the states, called Steve Christiansen, who showed us the water can trick. I use an empty 'homebrew' extract can that holds a litre of water with holes punched through the bottom. I forge with coke, and when forging small items I use the shower can to cool the outside of the fire, as it spreads out wider than I need. I have found that it saves a heck of a lot of coke as well. 

I like to give the fire a light sprinkle over the top when welding, as it contains the heat, stops excess radiation and saves fuel. The only downside is the intense sulphur smell in the steam. A good flue will help in that department.

Rob- A.B.A.S.A

• 3 weeks later...