I Forge Iron

Origin of the word Upsetting?

stevenha

I'm a beginner hobby blacksmith, and several times I've forgotten the word "upsetting" or "upset"  when I want to make a  thicker bulge.  Can someone who knows, explain the origin of that word, so it 'makes sense' somehow?  Or, tell a cute made-up story that explains it.

I suspect that the original term was not English.  We'd need to know what the term is in Greek/Aramaic or some other early language.  Latin might be good enough, since a fair bit of English is Latin based.

For instance, in brewing we use the term sparge, which in turn comes from the French espargier, which comes from the Latin spargere to sprinkle.   Smithing is nearly as old as brewing and so the language is going to be old as well.

Geoff

I believe it was discovered a long time ago, it involved a woman coming into the forbidden area, and the smith needing to make a point, he slammed the end of a hot piece on the anvil, and thus the discovery was made, and the forbidden zone has been inviolate ever since!

Divermike, as funny as that may sound, I want to remind you that there are female smiths out there that may not like that too much. If any female smiths took that to heart, your neck might get "upset" haha. But in all seriousness, I personally don't like to see gender bias, even if it is meant to be a light hearted joke.

-Crazy Ivan

Divermike, as funny as that may sound, I want to remind you that there are female smiths out there that may not like that too much. If any female smiths took that to heart, your neck might get "upset" haha. But in all seriousness, I personally don't like to see gender bias, even if it is meant to be a light hearted joke.

-Crazy Ivan

the modern language translation would be "to set up" meaning preparation beforehand or get ready. but as with most things it is never that simple, we set rivets to fix or fasten them so I guess upset "before set" is forming the head of the rivet.

Welcome aboard Steven, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header we won't have to keep asking you. Getting together with an experienced smith will flatten the learning curve a LOT and if folk don't know you're in the neighborhood . . .

Describing how you feel trying to get the process to do what you want is my first guess but seeing as it's already been mentioned I won't make up an amusing story.

Breaking the term down you get Set and Up. In general setting at the anvil refers to starting a process so there's a definite isolating shape, element, etc. For instance setting a shoulder is often done on a radiused edge though a butcher makes cleaner sets. So upsetting means you're setting the iron/steel larger than it was, the dimension is going UP.

That's just MY take and heck I'm questioning it myself while I type so it means whatever.

Another FINE blacksmith's axiom you're running into now goes thusly. Ask two blacksmiths a question and get three (or more) answers.

Frosty The Lucky.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=upset&allowed_in_frame=0

"mid-15c., "to set up, fix," from up + set (v.). Cf. Middle Dutch opsetten, German aufsetzen. Modern sense of "overturn, capsize" (1803) is that of obsolete overset. Meaning "to throw into mental discomposure" is from 1805. The noun sense of "overturning of a vehicle or boat" is recorded from 1804."

To me it makes sense as "setting up what we need for later".

In my language it's "Stuke", which originally meant "being stiff", and is related to "Stokk"(log), and thereby also english "Stock" (as in: "you need more stock if you wanna make that")

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning,

Think about taking clay or Play-dough and pushing it together to make it bigger.

Now do the same thing with hot metal.

If it doesn't work exactly how you wish it to, You become UPSET!!!!!!

Ain't Langgwich One-der-Full!!  :) :)

If you are making it smaller, you are making it longer, like Toffee. You are Drawing it out (without a pencil & paper).

If you are making it shorter and fatter, you are getting UPSET!! (the material too)

Neil

• 1 month later...