I Forge Iron

SOFA Quadstate 2013

Well it looks like I missed connecting with most of the Iforgeiron guys that were there. Maybe next year. I did stop and say Hi to Wayne Coe. He is hard to miss. 

I spent Saturday morning learning about copper smithing. That was interesting since I went into it not really knowing anything about copper smithing. Maybe next year they should have a tin smith.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there selling some stuff out of my shop, had a U haul trailer hooked up to a black ranger along tailgating row. I thought afterwards I shoulda put up a sign so people would let me know they were on I forge.Bet i met some of you on here and never knew it, There is always next year 

Maybe we need a button we can wear?

Now I think I know why Bad Rodger wears tie-dye, and Thomas P. wears lederhosen, an aloha shirt, and a red hat with horns.

Hard to get noticed in a crowd that big. And I wore an IFI shirt and my Clan McPherson ball cap with the tartan bill.  

Maybe next time I will break out the black Utilikilt and the orange T-shirt. Or maybe a pink shirt, just for the keenjunkies out there. :D

The final attendance was 950 people. I thought it was neat to see the increased numbers of spouses and families that were there in comparison to last year.

Wayne Coe, the first thing I saw of you was a sign with your name on a table in your booth. After I recognized your name I looked up to see if I could pick you out and figured you were the only guy with a white beard.in the small crowd of people talking to you.

Well darn, I wonder how many others I missed. I did get to talk a bit with Tim Miller, and saw Clifton Ralph, Aaron Cergol, Dave Custer (who's team won the nail forging contest) and Bad Rodger 781 (not like you can miss him in that tie-dye). 

And if I had 10X the cash I brought, it still would not have been enough for all the toys I wanted. 3!!! monster 200+ pound post vises, and a couple of the chain drive Fishers. Collections of 50+ tongs, whole sets of sheet metal tools, row upon row of anvils, cones, swage blocks..... I've got to stop, the drool mixed with the tears is hard on the keyboard.

As someone noted on a hand written sign: Welcome to blacksmith Christmas.

It was great to meet you too John.

I just got back from Quadstate. This was my first time, and what an event! I saw people that I haven't seen for years, and a lot that I've seen all over in my travels. It is the biggest and best event like Tom Clark always told me. I look forward to the next time I can return and encourage others to go and be a part of it! I'm sorry to say that I have no pictures to show, but maybe others can share some here.

Thanks to everyone for having me there!

Brian,

Great to see you there as well, it was my first SOFA also.

I got to meet so many great people there, sell some stuff, and even found some deals to bring back home.

It was really nice to put some faces with names that I've read and heard about for some time now.

I also learned a lot for doing it again next year....

I'm new to blacksmithing and this event was amazing. I learned more in 2 hrs then I have the last 4 months reading on the Internet. Everyone was so nice and helpful.  The beginner class was great, good group of instructors took there time and made it easy to learn.  Answered all our question and we had about 2 hrs worth of non stop question for our instructor.  The tail gate was over the top for us, we walked about 6 miles Friday. The stuff that was available we just don't fine around our area. I picked up what I need to finish my gas forge and my friend picked up a coal forge, railroad anvil, coal, tongs and everything else he need. I'm amazed my minivan made it home, we bottomed out real hard a few time from all the weight in the back. Hope to be up and running with a forge this weekend.  

Thanks you to everyone that put the event on. 

Jacob

Yup I've been to Q-S with temps in the 90's and temps such that there was ice in my water bucket in the morning.  One was cold and windy---I had just picked up a pair of army surplus wool overpants that saved me from hypothermia that one.  Rain is common ranging from light to a DOWNPOUR.  I'd take the worst weather if only I could attend!

There were 3 sets of bleachers and standing room only at Brian's area. Luckidly I was paying attention and watched him Thu might and some Fri before the schedualed start. Also bought several of his pieces at auction.

Don't plan on seeing what you saw at SOFA at any other conference.

I was in the same boat as 781. I was lucky enough to get to watch Brian on Friday for about 3 hours while he worked on his fire rake and the crane/bird statue. I wished they would've had him mic'd for the demo's because it was hard to hear from the back rows.

This was also my first trip and hopefully not my last!

It was good to meet a few of the people from here and get a chance to talk with them in person.

Seeing Brian forge an aluminum bar was an eye opener. It had never occurred to me that aluminum could also be forged.

Also I like his method of slitting and punching a hole. I had to watch it again on Youtube a couple times after the weekend because I didn't quite get it when he explained it in person.

So on a more personal reflective note; I spent Saturday morning watching the copper smith. After seeing him make a couple items I think that I could also make them. However, observing him do all the decorative stuff also brought me to the realization that I am not really that interested in the artistic side of things. I like a well formed pair of tongs or a well designed and executed knife. But I don't see myself getting into making roses or sea horses. Of course the reason that many of the demonstrations focused on those sorts of things was because that is what the public is buying. So it's probably a good thing it's just a hobby and I can spend my work day designing machines on my office computer.