I Forge Iron

SOFA Quadstate 2013

The SOFA Quadstate 2013 conference registration info was posted today on the group site. 

http://www.sofablacksmiths.org/conference2013/2013index.htm I have also attached the info.

I went last year and have been looking forward to the next one since then. It is September 27-29 in Troy, Ohio. I took a quick look at the seminar leaders and noticed that Brian Brazel will be a presenter who I think I have seen on IForge Iron.

I searched through the regional groups a couple times bud didn't find an appropriate group to post this under and so I put it in everything else. At one point I thought there might have been a Kentucky group that I posted under but I don't see it now.

2013 Demonstrators.pdf

QS 2013 registration form.pdf

General Information.pdf

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going back this year. I went last year for the first time and had a ball. Now that I am retired, I do not have to beg for the personal days off from teaching. They do not like to give out days so close to the start of the year. This years, I just have to kiss my wife and leave. See you all in Ohio....Josh Kavett

The two largest groups at this sort of event seems to be (1) old grey-headed guys and (2) old bald guys. (My demograhic.) Hard to stand out, which is why Thomas wears his Disreputable Hat and Hawaiian shirt.

Rarest would be, in no particular order: young guys, females of any age (outside the vendor tables and food court), and Clan Utilikilt.

I plan on being there this year for the first time, if the Creek don't rise. Any recommendations on other sights to see in the area, never traveled to that part of the country.

Old guys and bibs at least 400 of them. Wondering if we should get there tues night for an extra day. Those that think it starts Fri nite like the program says miss most of the event.
Big airforce museum off I70

I got there around 7 PM Friday night last year and they had already closed registration for the day and were setting up for opening ceremonies. So this year I'm taking off Friday so I can get there a little after lunch. I'll set up my tent and start looking around at the vendors.

I will be there, wearing my IFORGEIRON shirts, I try not to miss it, this year my bud Bob Trout is going to be demonstrating his awesome coppersmithing, so I bet I will get drafted to help haul his crap around, heh heh, I will manage to sneak out and drool on the biggest swap meet for blacksmiths in the US. LOOKIN FORWARD TO IT.

If you go to google maps and type in "hotel near Troy, Ohio", the map will show red dots for all the hotels. Click on them for details and approx. prices. Some people stay 1 exit up I-75 at Piqua to save $. It's plenty close enough. We're splitting a room 3 ways, some places have small suites with 2 beds plus a sofa bed in 1 room for about $100. Good luck!

Yeah, Travelocity keeps showing me stuff in Dayton at the airport starting at $31, or further south, that is why I was asking for personal recommendations.

Is there a place where the 'ususal suspects' stay, or stay away from? I don't want to be 'entertained' by a rowdy crowd's all night activities in the adjoining rooms, or parking lot. Not when I'm too old to join in. :(

hmmm, I would only be able to swing friday - but don't make plans on account of me! I'm not even entirely certain I'm going yet.  

Actually I was going to skip this year, until I saw that Brian is demoing, and now I really want to go... but I have final exams Thursday and Friday morning (last exam Friday at 7:30-9:45 AM).