I Forge Iron

SOFA Quadstate 2013

If all goes as planned I'll be there early Friday afternoon. I'll have a couple of old Champion fireboxes, an old champion blower, some tongs, tire making tools. some of my books (A Blacksmithing Primer) and my forged bronze belt buckles. Stop by and say "Hi!". I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new ones!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings ,

Looking forward to meeting you..  Been going for many years ...  If you find Wayne you are close to me..   He and I have been SOFA buddies for a long time.  Are you camping ? 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

No camping.  Staying at a local motel.  I like my bed, shower, and in room can.   I will be parking my 4 door GMC across from where Matchless sets up.  And wandering around all day.

Going down Thursday night and will be bunking with Bob Trout, one of the demonstrators, in a local establishment. I will be wearing the IFORGEIRON t-shirts friday and saturday, stop me if you see me, I will be hanging around the Alabama GROUP and Steve at Matchless antiques.

I thought I was going to make it this year. But as seems to happen most years this seems to be my busiest time of year again.   All the people who didn't get around to ordering things they needed over the summer because they were either on holidays or thinking about holidays order them mid September and want them right away because they should have been ordered in the summer.  I cannot afford to take off Friday and Saturday.

In the past 2 weeks I got an order of 2 large patterns (about 150hrs), about 800lb of steel dropped off that has to be made into scrolls and rings (luckily someone else is doing all the fabricating)  8 pairs of tongs mostly 5' long 8 watermain valve keys and an old corebox will be dropped off tomorrow that needs to be replaced.  As well I have 100 drifts to forge.  It's a good problem to have but all this work needs to be done in the next 3-4 weeks.  2 weeks ago I was a little worried because I had almost no work. 

I'll be there Friday only this year again. I enjoy Quad State. I'll have a out a trade blanket with lots of goodies, and Bluegrass music playing on the boom box, so stop by and introduce yourself !!

My quest this year is to trade for some offset tongs.

Ohio Rusty

My first SOFA event. After a 12 hour trip and camping in the field with the lights on I learned to sleep with a well lite tent.

But the fellowship was oustanding.. Nice to see some of the previously made friends from other events.

So now I am looking forward to next year.

Carry on

Greetings David,

Just got home from SOFA..  I got there Wed. and had a blast...  Been going for many many years...   Sorry I missed meeting you..  I met 4 other IFI folks and it was fun putting a face to my IFI friends...   Next year I hope...

Forge on and make beautiful things..

Jim

Jim Coke, it was a pleasure hanging with you, and you are a really sneaky fellow grabbing our dinner check on the way out, that was a really classy move, it is good to call you friend, and I will get you back for that!!!!  I will be in touch... black frog was pretty cool too, it was nice to see DK and all of the rest of you guys, made it to Atlantic city safe and sound.

Well darn, I wonder how many others I missed. I did get to talk a bit with Tim Miller, and saw Clifton Ralph, Aaron Cergol, Dave Custer (who's team won the nail forging contest) and Bad Rodger 781 (not like you can miss him in that tie-dye). 

And if I had 10X the cash I brought, it still would not have been enough for all the toys I wanted. 3!!! monster 200+ pound post vises, and a couple of the chain drive Fishers. Collections of 50+ tongs, whole sets of sheet metal tools, row upon row of anvils, cones, swage blocks..... I've got to stop, the drool mixed with the tears is hard on the keyboard.

As someone noted on a hand written sign: Welcome to blacksmith Christmas.

Greetings Mike,

The Black Frog  Zipped out and out foxed me on that check...   Pass the thanx on to him...  I spent a lot of time with the newbie and had fun showing him the ropes ..   I had a blast and if you need some help with your new shop give me a shout...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim