I Forge Iron

My resignation to black smithing.

Today I was in my back yard working with my break drum forge for the first time. I was just about to take the hot metal out of the fire when my neighbor popped her head over the fence and said "do your parents know what your doing" I responded yes because they support the idea and she said you should really stop playing with fire wearers to close and I think you should stop also the hammering is quite obnoxious so I told her "what do of want me to do" and she said just please stop with the fire. So I took every thing down and put it in my garage so I am done with black smithing until they move or die. :(

I am done with black smithing until they move or die. :(

Funniest thing I have read in a while.

Calmly explain to her what you are doing, tell her to take every precaution, you keep a bucket of water beside you at all times.

Also to quiet the sound of the anvil, secure ti down real tight, wrap a chain around the waist, stick a magnet under the heal, or glue it down to your stump using silicon caulk. If you do that she should not be able to hear you, and might not be bothered as much.

True you don't want problems with the neighbors. And I support the advise of Jim Coke. How ever if you live in the US your neighbor cannot dictate your hobbies. If your parents own their home as opposed to renting, I would smith anyway. If jim s advise didn't work first. The neighbors won't like you but you are undertaking a hobby that will teach you allot and could prove to be a life changing endeavor and when you think of it like that, your neighbors opinion has little to no impact. But if your parents rent there is a problem in that they can call the landlord and have you removed from the residence. Plan slow and act fast. Good luck and hopefully we see some work from you.

A gas fore would be nice and I have made the anvil quiet but she doesn't care I showed her the water bucket and I was wearing goggles a leather apron boots and some welding gloves I don't think I have ever seen her leave I don't even think she has a car.... And I am in school all day and my parents have already talked to her but I will see what they can do.

Wow, what would she have you do; throw parties in the back yard with that loud obnoxious rap music.  No, the advice for quieting down your stuff is great advice as well as working within daylight hours.  Talk to your parents and if they don't have a problem then hammer away.

Life is full of roadblocks and those who would hold you back, just like that steel resist the hammer if you keep at it something beautiful will come from it. 

Of course this comes from someone whose nieghbor put up a 8' privacy fence. :rolleyes:  

Good advice above.  I'm fortunate as most of my neighbors are my best customers.  I'm also the one they come to when they need things welded and I either help for free or a nominal fee.  I'm not the only noisy one on the block either, 2 neighbors have Harley's, and others do wood working.  Their saws & power tools are louder than my hammering. 

The most complaints I get are from my wife, she's been very sensitive to noise lately so I've done everything I can to quiet my anvil (including sand & oil in the stand's legs), and save what I consider heavy forge work when she's gone, or midday when she considers the noise more acceptable.  Right now I'd rather be in the garage working on projects but such is life.  It doesn't hurt much that I take some of the extra money I make from selling my things and either give it to her to pay bills or surprise her w/ something nice.  Your neighbor, I doubt you'd ever convert her, follow your passion and try to be considerate if possible.

I think if you have all the safety you say and done the work to make it quieter and she still complains than its her problem not yours.  I applaud you for wanting to be respectful but don't give up on it that easily.  There are far to little smiths out there as it is.  keep on forging.

Respect her when she confronts you, but its your yard, you are not working  during city quiet hours, usually 10:pm to 6:am...  And she is actually trespassing by looking into your yard and commenting on what you are doing.... She is the problem not you....

Forge on....

Dale

I used to live in in Spanish Fork, UT. It's the next town or so over from Provo. The houses in that area are squished together, but the people seem to be peaceful and kind. If she works in a garden or flower bed, make her a trinket that will look nice in her yard, and see if that will smooth things over.

remember you catch more bees with honey then sugar. I would go for the over the top being nice. I regularly give small free things that I have too many of to my neighbors to keep them onside.

But from the sounds of it I would let your folks run this one, there house that your under their rules, see what they come up with.

Good PR can be tough if you have an unreasonable neighbor. The one just down the hill from us took care of herelf for u. That has nothing to do with your situation though, some folk just wat everything the way THEY want it. You've quieted your anvil as well as reasonably possible, taken good safety precautions and  aren't in violation of codes. I HOPE you're not in violation of zoning, code or covenants, not much to do then.

A large part of keeping gripers quiet is keep out of sight. A sound barrier wall will help a lot and it can keep you out of sight. That may be all it takes. Believe it or not a wool blanket hanging like on a clothes line makes a heck of a sound barrier and you can't see through one

Frosty the Lucky.

I'm just going to move my forge somewhere else I talked to my neighbour ( he's a good friend) and he has had problems with his neighbours snooping and I'm just going to ignore her maybe make her some stuff if no when I get good.

Stick at it! When she talks to you, be nice about it, perhaps overly-nice. It's easy to me angry at someone who is willing to argue back, but less so when that person is being nice. Simply explain that you've taken every measure you can to reduce the noise and that it is completely safe. If she still complains tell her that you're being respectful and that you're working within reasonable hours. The trick is to find a polite way of saying that it's none of her business and there's nothing she can do about it. You could tell her that you're being respectful in not looking over her fence at what she's doing, and you'd appreciate it if she would do the same. Okay, perhaps that's not very respectful, but you get the idea!

A note on safety, remember not to wear gloves on your hammer hand- a flying hammer isn't great for public relations! 

First I would look into what the community noise ordinance is and fire regulations are. When I hammer on an anvil it is 80 Dbl there is an app for that. So as far as disturbing the peace she dose not have a case. Second your parents approve and you are not on her property and its an art. There is a point to be civil and then there is the point where you right to the pursuit of happiness are being infringed on. if it was after 10:00 pm then she would have a right to complain. Try reasoning first and then meet the law and ignore her.  I hate to sound like I am a little intensive of others feeling. I live on open use estate zoning. They just built homes next door and I am having to jump through hoops to make charcoal.  

A couple simple hand forged S hooks might bring back some memories and smooth things over for her.  Especially if she has hanging plants.   IF not I would just ignore her.   Well I would mostly ignore her regardless unless she decides to be a welcome neighbor.