I Forge Iron

My resignation to black smithing.

You can't win if you get into a war with a neighbor.  I smithed for 15 years in inner city Columbus OH, 100 year old house, brick streets NARROW lots.  I lucked out. One retired neighbor had grown up in Pittsburgh and the smell of coal smoke reminded her of her childhood---she would have liked me to forge more.  The other side was a rental and as owners of our own property we had more pull than the transient tenants.  Behind us was a small sign shop who wasn't there out of hours when I got to smith.

I did have an unknown neighbor who 3 or 4 times called the fire department on me; however  by sheer luck each time I was not forging but cooking with our smoker---a protected use of fire by homeowners!  After the last time the large firetruck wedged itself down the narrow alley only to find me cooking salmon I heard under the table that this person was told there would be a $1200 fine for filing a false alarm---no further problems!

In the same city, a different part, a student ran into similar problems and was told by the code enforcement that he needed to get a burning permit  10 business days before each time and pay $25 per incident...

stuarthesmith, I would do this. but then again I don't care if my neighbors are happy or not. they don't have anyway to control what I do or when I do it. they have called the cops many times when I am out shooting, and the cops always come by ask how i'm doing and see which guns I have out this time...but they never tell me to stop shooting. so if guns are not tool loud and obnoxious then my forge cant be any worse.

Ben Franklin's advice would be to ask her for a favor. Even something small or trivial. Maybe she has something in or around her house you would love to make a recreation of? Or maybe she knows a blacksmith or farrier who she could put you in touch with.