I Forge Iron

Idle talk, Who is your favorite Blacksmith from the movies?

PCornett

Actually, the dwarves were responsible for Bilbo's mithril shirt. Thorin Oakenshield, king of the dwarves, gave Bilbo his mithril maille-shirt after the battle of the Five Armies at the foot of the Lonely Mountain.

The Elves made Glamdring, Orcrist, and Sting, as wielded by Gandalf, Thorin, and Bilbo/Frodo respectively. Being of Elvin make, they are all supposed to glow blue when orcs/goblins are near. However, in the movies, only Sting has this attribute, and Orcrist is not shown.

I guess I need to read the trilogy again eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

the hobbit will very shortly be 2 films, and we shall see if orcrist and glamdring will glow in the films..... although they will have billy connoly as dain ironfoot....... who knows how it will go.....

im going to propose, that he will be actually good in it........

He was a welder/worked in the Glasgow Shipyards, so he may hold out for authenticity.

Do you remember in the early part of The Full Monty where they are looking at Jennifer Beals arc welding in Flashdance and one of them says "she's not much of a welder either, her oxygen is too high"!

one of them says "she's not much of a welder either, her oxygen is too high"!

He was probably the union aproved trainging officer in his "employed" days, It did bring on a smile at the time, I'd forgotten that! Thanks!

Sorry about the snide chirp but I detest centralised barganing councils and unions(good for members and not quite for employment)

• 6 months later...

Of course Martin's Gendry Baratheon is awesome

And for the record, and I may be wrong here so don't crucify me, but I'm pretty sure Gandalf wields glamdring in LOTR and it does glow. Orcrist, unfortunately, is buried with thorin oakenshield so we can't know both for sure until the hobbit comes out soon

"Orcrist, unfortunately, is buried with thorin oakenshield so we can't know both for sure until the hobbit comes out soon "

You mean beside the book where it says it would alert the dwarves to enemies approaching? All three blades Glam, Or and sting were forged in Gondolin and would glow in the presence of orcs---read the entire series over 20 times over the years and will be reading the hobbit to the grandkids over Thanksgiving!

• 2 weeks later...

"Orcrist, unfortunately, is buried with thorin oakenshield so we can't know both for sure until the hobbit comes out soon "
You mean beside the book where it says it would alert the dwarves to enemies approaching? All three blades Glam, Or and sting were forged in Gondolin and would glow in the presence of orcs---read the entire series over 20 times over the years and will be reading the hobbit to the grandkids over Thanksgiving!

Forgive me, I misspoke. I know the books say the blades glow. I was referring to whether or not the movie will ring true, as they so often do not.

Considering how far they are stretching the Hobbit to get that many movies from it, I'm sure they will include pretty much everything they can and then add in a lot of BS to pad things out.

I plan to read my grandkids the Hobbit over Thanksgiving if they will stay still long enough....

you have beaten me!
i have read the LOTR series at least 15 times, not to mention the other tolkien works, but i guess, i am only 30, i can still catch up :D

Right, the one who likes to heat and beat a beautifully hafted and polished blade.... Somehow that never sat right with me

See my post no. 32 on page two of this thread. They just make that same mistake over and over!

May be they only get their blacksmithing imagery and techniques from other films and the first one got it wrong.

Given the number of films where the art of the blacksmith is so badly portrayed, I wonder what other crafts /disciplines are equally trashed or misrepresented or is it just us metalworkers?