I Forge Iron

Idle talk, Who is your favorite Blacksmith from the movies?

PCornett

I don't remember Burt in Gunsmoke. Orlando in Pirates of Caribe tended to be forging on swords that were already hafted. Another I've seen many times is the "blacksmith" beating on something be it knife, horseshoe or whatever with a top tool held upside down.

The smiths in Lord of the Rings were dwarves weren't they?

I think I block out the really stupid blacksmith scenes in whatever media they appear in. My favorite has to be Fly Away Home, shot in a working blacksmith's shop and it looked like he'd actually learned enough to make it seem he knew a little of what he was doing. Beat HOT steel and took it to the anvil after using the big tilt hammer to straighten and dress a bit. I was bummed more of the movie wasn't shot in the smithy. <sigh>

Guess I might have to rent "Train Your Dragon."

Frosty The Lucky.

On little house he wasn't bad guy he just was mean for a while bEcause people picked on him because he was burned bad they thought he eas a monster. But he was really nice. Remember when Laura or her sister where blind and gigot lost the smith found her ant nursed her back to health.

My favourite worst film and film blacksmith managed to get just about every thing wrong, with smithing and English History.

Alan Ladd in the Black Knight.

Opening scene is the glowing fire and out comes the orange heat sword straight into the slack tub; lots of steam; out onto the anvil ting ting; hold it up to the light and it is...mirror polished, hilt and all; set up a beaten breast plate (which probably represents a weeks work for a few people) and slice it in two with one blow. Priceless.

The rest of the film got better and better combining Vikings, Saracens, Druids and finally the destruction of Stonehenge by Alan Ladd tying his lasso to the his saddle pommel backing up and pulling over the sarsen stones, better than priceless!

"What do we remember from English History?.... Oh yeah chuck that in!"

Alan Hale was the blacksmith when Clint Eastwood came to arrest him in Hang'em High, he looked the part but I can't remember what he was doing at the anvil now that I think of it....

The worst was the "new" Rambo, Stallone kept heating this bar, and beat on it once in a while.

Elvish smiths, of course, they're also responsible for Mithril as in Bilbo's mail coat. Whitesmiths maybe?

I'm a bit surprised at how many guys here watched Little House and Doc. Quin. I only watched one episode of either when I heard they blew up the town as the series finale of Little House. Darn, a perfect example of not judging a book by it's cover.

Frosty The Lucky.

Elvish smiths, of course, they're also responsible for Mithril as in Bilbo's mail coat. Whitesmiths maybe?

Gotta love that Mithril powder flux, works like nothing else and really wows the crowd at a Ren Fair demo......Just a little Magnesium dust and they'll believe anything....lol

I'll tell you what......I loved the highlander movies, ( except that one...you know what I mean ). Then I met Great Grand Master
Kwang Duk Chung. He ruined most of the sword movies for me, by teaching me " The Way of the Sword ".... dang ! .. now I'm a critic of hollywood schlock

LOL, ok i had never noticed the post vice in the backround of LOTR! That is hilarious, and I had forgotten Robert Lee. He was a good man. I think I will compile a list of these here in a few days or so (perhaps more if people keep adding) and have a vote of the best and worst.

PS> Highlander movies should have followed their own mantra. THEIR CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Ok did anyone see the last Rambo. He.made.the prop for the boat and he.made the knife. Also Conans dad in the most recent Conan the barbarian. And yes I did watch dragon tale and how to trail your Dragon with the kids and loved it. And of course you can't forget the Hilander movies.

Actually, the dwarves were responsible for Bilbo's mithril shirt. Thorin Oakenshield, king of the dwarves, gave Bilbo his mithril maille-shirt after the battle of the Five Armies at the foot of the Lonely Mountain.

The Elves made Glamdring, Orcrist, and Sting, as wielded by Gandalf, Thorin, and Bilbo/Frodo respectively. Being of Elvin make, they are all supposed to glow blue when orcs/goblins are near. However, in the movies, only Sting has this attribute, and Orcrist is not shown.

If I remember correctly there was a western with Oliver Reed playing a rancher and in one scene a smith was hammering away and Oliver handed him a flatter and told him to hit harder but for the life of me I cannot remember the film.
Given the choice I will go for the young lady in knights tale ;)

To Wayne, I cant find the western you mentioned but it did just make me remember that in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Oliver Reed played Hepheastus the Greek God of Blacksmithing. Uma Thurman was his Aphrodite. Wierd combo but then very appropriate given the mythology.