I Forge Iron

Idle talk, Who is your favorite Blacksmith from the movies?

PCornett

Spinning is also mis-represented according to my wife in books as well as movies. A common example is the type of wheel used in "Sleeping Beauty" where modern books generally show a wheel with an orifice and flyer rather than a wheel with a spindle that wears needle sharp in use---easy to prick your finger on compare to a round hole of an orifice and flyer set up!

Spinning is also mis-represented according to my wife in books as well as movies. A common example is the type of wheel used in "Sleeping Beauty" where modern books generally show a wheel with an orifice and flyer rather than a wheel with a spindle that wears needle sharp in use---easy to prick your finger on compare to a round hole of an orifice and flyer set up!

Obviously they must be referring to the origins of the hypodermic needle!

So I'm not the only one that movie blackmithsing scenes drives nuts! The family hates watching movies wiuth me because I pick them apart! Like the hunter one how did he get that spring leaf off of the stack when the center bolt was still in it ? And why didn't he just hammer a blade out of the first piece of iron he picked up ? Yes the heat/quench/hammer thing always bugs me too! And the finished knife/sword coming up on the last quench all polished I'm surprised it doesn't come up in a new sheath while their at it !

• 5 months later...

i thought of this thread last night watching TV and iron man 1 and 2 were on, im not surprised to see it re-surface :)

however i have to disagree with stark being considered with the good smiths!  unless i walked out of the room for a bit and missed something that i am also forgetting from seeing the movie multiple times, the only real smithing he attempts is when he is beating on the helmet of the Mk 1, which he is hammering on cold/at black heat, then quenches and calls it good. 

plus he casts a ring of palladium (which the internet tells me melts around 2825 F) from a non-glowing crucible that was just sitting on top of a pretty tame coal forge, no blower going, not nested in the coals, just set on top like he was warming a cup of coffee.  then his assistant takes like 15 seconds to walk it over and pour it! 

if anything i think Ivan Vanko in ironman 2 has more blacksmithing cred than Stark, at least he hammers on hot iron, even if he pre-taps before his swing, and lets the hammer bounce on the piece afterwards.