I Forge Iron

hey ladies! show us your bits!!

i was having a chat with a member on this site (who shall remain nameless) about female smiths, and the view from this fellow was that "women can never really be smiths"
i disagreed whole heartedly, and would love to open up a show and tell of the fabulous work out there from lady smiths....
so prove me right!!!!!

has our friend not considered that giant muscles are almost irrelevent in mastering blacksmithing skills ( i presume that is the advantage he percieves he has over females - not always the case like green beast rightly said.. ) more important are the non gender specific skills of determination passion patience good eye tenacity and humility you need in order to learn. even MORE so for women, due to the boring years of people with attitudes like his, muddying the water. thank god people tend to use their brains more on the whole these days, when assessing a female in the craft ...

shona johnson who works with her family in rathobyres forge in scotland certainly knows how to move metal, and could probably arm wrestle the plonker who commented on women smiths too if she could be bothered :)

post-4935-0-86249900-1329993255_thumb.jp

thats one neat shoulder on that job!
if the offender has seen any of these posts, he sure will be hiding now!!!
thanks for the support! i knew i could count on you lot!!!!
this was his reasoning!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_LA_R4ifYk
while this may be a great video of sheer grunt, i think beth said it best!

Hi All,
Just to add my thoughts. I watched Alison Finn from Freedom Metals in Colorado come to our Bonneville Forge Council Conference and do some amazing forging. I think that thoses that put forth the effort practice, practice,and practice and have the desire to always to better will become great. No matter the gender.

Gaylan

(Aimed at Beth's post #5.)
Now THAT'S a tennon! LOL

Of course ladies can be smiths. If a woman turns out nice work, then by golly, she's a blacksmith! (I hope it wasn't a mod that said that though, because some of us are liable to dissappear! LOL OK that was a joke!)
Linda Metcalf (Elmer Roush's wife) can turn out some very nice designs. I took a class under Clay Spencer and Julie Clark was in that class. She did a very nice piece, and forged the socks off of nearly all the other guys. (Including me!)

Dorthy Steigler was president of ABANA.......Gender is no reason to slight your own potential as a smith, what is persistence and a love of what you're doing.....I'd love to see the reaction if a man were to state here: ''Women can't really be smiths'', I'd be the first to jump in his face..... :ph34r:

What IS a "Blacksmith" ?

Today, the term is bandied about quite freely, ... and is applied to anyone who works hot Iron or Steel.

But traditionally, a "Journeyman" Blacksmith, was expected to posess and exhibit ALL the skills that are associated with the Trade.

Many "Ornamental Ironworkers" are referred to as "Blacksmiths", ... even though they have no interest or experience in "Tool-making", or in the Fabrication of Mechanical devices.

So basically, ... there is no single description, that adequately defines a Blacksmith.

I don't see that anchor making video as sheer grunt. It is pure teamwork and coordinated cooperation. A group of equally trained women would have no problem doing the same job to the same quality, although a group that size of equally trained women probably did not exist at the time of this video.

1842, this article mentions women chainmakers and blacksmiths
http://books.google.com/books?id=1Q0z_FHJVLEC&pg=PA297&lpg=PA297&dq=woman+blacksmith+chain+maker&source=bl&ots=aGcgvj5ZpU&sig=SuzsCiiAlGO2kjdE58_K0a7ZO3k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=x1NGT7e7BIbm0QGE3JHxDQ&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=woman%20blacksmith%20chain%20maker&f=false

a thread from ABANA
http://www.abana.org/resources/discus/messages/4/261.html?1329232263

Also remember there were laws in England that a women could work as a journeyman smith only in the shop of her father, husband, or brother. These laws were there because women were fully capable of the job, and society (the men in charge) were nor willing to let women have the power of business ownership.

Phil

I remember reading about a woman smith in colonial-ish years (can't remember the specific date) who was making a name for herself at sixteen. So much so that a contemporary poet penned a poem praising her milky white skin (when it wasn't covered in coal dust) and powerful biceps.

has our friend not considered that giant muscles are almost irrelevent in mastering blacksmithing skills ( i presume that is the advantage he percieves he has over females - not always the case like green beast rightly said.. ) more important are the non gender specific skills of determination passion patience good eye tenacity and humility you need in order to learn. even MORE so for women, due to the boring years of people with attitudes like his, muddying the water. thank god people tend to use their brains more on the whole these days, when assessing a female in the craft ... shona johnson who works with her family in rathobyres forge in scotland certainly knows how to move metal, and could probably arm wrestle the plonker who commented on women smiths too if she could be bothered :) post-4935-0-86249900-1329993255_thumb.jp
Wow! That picture says tons! Awesome hoist set up, Great control. It proves its not all about brute force but ALL about skill, training, common sense and a fine attention to detail. Beth, that was awesome!

Funny we have Guild Regulations from the Medieval/Renaissance periods restricting women to working only in the blacksmith shops of their Father, Brother or Husband---so we know that women were smithing centuries years ago as people tend to not make laws against something that's not happening...

Beginning my smithery school in 1970, I had very few women students for the first 25 years, although a number of women inquired wanting to be horseshoers. Dorothy Stiegler was an exception, coming to Turley Forge in the early 1970's. A little prior to the turn of the 21st century, I began to get a greater proportion of female signups. One Turley grad was Kathleen Holmes who was already a skilled welder when she took my class. She organized and curated a successful, national show of women's art smithing work in 2005 titled, "Women Do Iron," which took place at two galleries in Aztec, New Mexico. Finesse in smithing is an essential. I sense that women learn this finesse before most men do. Men who are neophytes tend to think it's all the work of the biceps and eventually, they may gain finesse. I think the same may be said for design sense. Not that men don't get it; it just might take longer.

oh good grief, really??!!!

I think they should be named (and shamed!!) I challenge that person to come forward and express their views to me directly!!! I'm surprised that someone really believes that you have to have a penis to be able to swing a hammer!!!!! :P

Go and ask my customers whether they think I'm a blacksmith or not. To me those are the people that I care whether they believe I can deliver the work they want. And guess what, they pay me well for what I do, so go on, call me a blacksmith!! :P