I Forge Iron

hey ladies! show us your bits!!

Size and strength are a relative thing, depending or the work you do. Since the industrial revolution, we all have the chance to "work smarter, not harder". We have had this thing called a "powerhammer" for just ages now, and I don't see anyone distaining electric or air tools in a welding shop.

I took a American Bladesmithing Society forging class from Bill Moran in the 90's. He was half my size and twice my age, and could work rings around me and anyone else in the class. There are female Master Bladesmiths. (They say ABS stands for Asbestos Bra Society.) One not only passed the cutting demonstration, she did it in high heels!

We have had dozens of women come thru our CC welding program and suceed, and dozens of macho guys quit when they were afraid of getting hurt (or afraid of doing work.)

me too woody, i often wear a glove on the hand nearest the heat, ( i dont have many handled tools either..) but usually go without when i can, but i couldnt care a less if someone else does something different, they can still be a top class smith....? i usually wear my ox/ace glasses near the fire just cos my eyes go weird if i dont, and also many times ive had hot coke jump out in my face.. :ph34r:

Where do you get 200years from, evidence for a blacksmiths guild dates back to 1299, Incorporation as a livery company came by Queen Elizabeth the first in 1571

So 700 years plus according to when I was taught to do add up's and takeaway's, and I think its a fair assumption it didn't just happen Jan 1st 1299

Was Tijou a member in the 1700's when he did the original work at Hampton Court and Kensington Palace ?

Incorporated; 1571, subscription surrendered; 1785, i.e. 214 years operating as a proper guild.
And I don't believe there is any reason to think that Tijou had anything to do with the (at that time apparently already moribund) Worshipful Company. I doubt very much that he would have been allowed membership anyway, being French.

Funny we have Guild Regulations from the Medieval/Renaissance periods restricting women to working only in the blacksmith shops of their Father, Brother or Husband---so we know that women were smithing centuries years ago as people tend to not make laws against something that's not happening...

I've seen this mentioned a number of times but no one I've seen has ever sourced it. Do you have the actual source by chance?

I stand corrected, I know nothing.

So the WCB is not a guild after 1785, up to the present day? Just a Livery Company?

I'm just repeating information that I gathered from reading the "history" link that you posted.

And there are no accredited qualifications for blacksmithing in the UK

A National Occupational Standard is being sought by, I believe, NHIG, to redress that situation.