I Forge Iron

Scot sword ban

JPH

Its been said so often it sounds like a cliche, but it remains true: the price of freedom is vigilence. In our case(s) that means being registered to vote, knowing where candidates stand on issues, and voting your beliefs. Nothing else you can do takes the place of being an informed voter.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I shoot you with a gun or stab you with a blade all you will hear about is the weapon.
If I burn down your house with you and your family in it and kill all of you / all you will here about is me. / you will not hear one word about the match that I used to commit the crime.
Common sense is in short supply and that supply is deminisioning with each generation.

Mike Tanner
PS
I would have never thought that I would ever post to a SWORD thread :) :) :)

If I recall correctly:

Didnt the Rulers of of SCottland try banning all weapons before? I.E. no one except the kings guard could have swords. etc. but that didnt seem to stop Robert the Bruce at Sterling Bridge... I guess he forgot to register his army:D

The first thing they teach you TFT(one of combat systems used by several armed services) is that the only weapon a person carries is their mind everything else is a tool. Be it your fist, a machete, a paper clip, a rifle, a dinner plate, or the cord of your computers mouse all these things are tools that can be used to cause harm but without your mind they are merely inanimate objects that will sit there until the end of time unless used. It is unfortunate that crimes are committed with these objects but what I find truly disturbing is that a person that has been declared a hazard to themselves or others is not contained and treated in the proper facilities that ALREADY EXIST! There have been several tragedies that could have been prevented if action was taken when it was found that these people were a danger to others.

Humans are the most dangerous animal on the face of the earth and the only one that will kill its own kind for reasons that do not include it's personal survival. Every other animal that will kill it's own kind does so for the survival of itself or the pack/herd not because it doesn't like what part of the world the other's ancestors came from, or because the other is of a different faith.

OK rant over. Off to do something constructive. Think I'll try to make a Gardeners Pal.

I wonder how effective this will be.. It's not like banning weed was super effective. All those people (and possibly more) that want to do it are now just breaking the law..
At least thats how it is here in Oregon anyway..

But I guess it is totally justified, I visited my aunt and uncle recently who are way into martial arts so the topic of swords was brought up.. They pointed out a place in the canyon near Mt. Baldy where a man was brutally hacked at by a few punky teenagers with swords because they were tresspassing and got freaked out or something.
(This is in Southern Cali so..)

maybe a ban on cheap swords would do it.. not alot of criminal blade weilders would spot the 3k for an expensive katana just to rob a grocery store..

Here in South Africa the law favours the criminal. Its extremely hard to get a licence to own a firearm legally for self protection, yet not much is done to lower the amount of break ins and highjackings by criminals with illegal firearms.
Bb

its so weird.. rules and ban's are really only for the people what follow them.. If a criminal decides not to, then they have a leg up on the rule abiding citizens..
I personaly would not relenquish my heritage related blades to anyone.. even if it meant storing them in a burried vault.

will they ban kilts next? They could be used as weapons.. I think..:D

I think that instead of banning guns, or in this case swords, everyone should be issued said weapon. The criminals already have access to weapons, so you might as well even the playing field.
Some one would be less likely to attack someone knowing that they have a .44 strapped to their leg.

Once at an NCO school we were going through required courses one of which was splice a commo wire which is hi tensile steel. The Sr NCO did not have any type of pliers or strippers and said that it was to be field expedient anyway so use your pocketknife. It was pointed out that not everyone carried a pocket knife and those who didn't may not be familiar with the safe use of them. PISH POSH came the reply and by the end of the day one soldier had 6 stitches along his thumb and there were a bunch of REALLY dull knives.

I believe in being armed but I also believe that some are better suited to it than others. A free society is defined by self determination. Without that it is no longer free. Whether removing all weapons or issuing all weapons.

We have yet to ban, abolish or limit the most vile, dispicable, dangerous and outrageous weapons in the world. The Weapons of Mass Destruction: Lawyers, Lawmakers, Stupid Politicians and self serving activists.

:) they have prolly killed more inocent people than any others.

I believe in being armed but I also believe that some are better suited to it than others. A free society is defined by self determination. Without that it is no longer free. Whether removing all weapons or issuing all weapons.

I agree. The government making available a decent rifle and/or pistol to each eligible citizen once they reach a suitable age for little or no money makes a lot of sense... though I wouldn't neccesarily want to force people into it.

I am like RITHBEAU-- The only way you will get my guns is to pry my cold dead fingers from them. I have no intentions of harming anybody with any weapon I have. I have in the long-ago past-- hurt several with nothing but my hands, feet, legs, and head. Now that I am on the other side of 66, I would have to resort to the so--called "weapon". As I most certainly would, if me or mine were under attack. The weapon of choice might not be close at hand, but what ever is close to hand would be the weapon.

chuck

As a British citizen this move by our neighbours in the North just saddens me. I agree completely that a gun, sword, knife, rolled up magazine, whatever, is NOT dangerous in the least untill you chuck a human being into the mix. INTENT to use said item for nefarious purposes is what people need to sort out. I've been stabbed (didn't enjoy it much, but it could have been worse) and I've been on the wrong end of a gun too and speaking from a purely personal point of view the Gun scared me a lot more. Hard to disarm a bullet mid flight :D.

I think that it's retarded to do this...

what next? banning pipes, baseball bats and all hard long objects?

Maybe they will not sell you flat stock if they know u have a grinder. . and can sharpen it?. .

I mean .. one can buy scythe blades. . .lawmower blades, saws . .axes ..etc ..

.. even a hammer would do the job . .

Can;t they realize that if someone wants 2 kill someone ..not having a proper sword won;t stop him?

• 3 weeks later...

To IronFist and Mende, Don't think someone is currently working on a scheme for an End-Use License for the above. More and more items are starting to go along that route, or require ID/signing for (like various chemicals, etc) because they could possibly, with 6 other things, and a variety of equipment, be used for, bad stuff. Heck I have to sign for my Claritin-D(little TM thingy) because someone can use an active ingredient in it to make Meth. What the gov't wants is enough interconnection between all businesses and a large enough database system that every transaction that ever takes place can be recorded and analyzed to determine potential uses/misuses of the items by the purchaser.

-MJ

Seperate rant, considering how much Claritin-D costs, can someone really make much money after processing to convert it to Meth? Personally I'm wondering if buying Meth and converting it to C-D wouldn't be cheaper ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...