I Forge Iron

Scot sword ban

JPH

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most dangerous weapon I know of is the human brain. If it decides to inflict harm or death it will find the required physical object to carry out such intentions. Besides, guns and knives do not kill people........husbands who come home early do.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a current member of a martial arts group in Kansas, and I can say this. If they want me to surrender my sword, I would rather shatter it out of honor than disgrace it by giving it up to the likes of them. It is ok, that I dont have a lot of money, it is ok, that I dont meet sociseties stuck up shallow standards, but if they want to go a step further and take my sword, I cannot allow them to do that. My sword is my way of life, and they will not take that away! I pray that America (with its principles of freedom) holds its own by not allwing this tyranny to reach ITS shores. :cool::D

• 2 months later...

all mis-guided logic and idiotic fascism aside... this story really makes me think of mel gibson in face paint saying something along the lines of "they can take our swords, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!". man, how am i ever gonna get a genuine Scottish claymore now?

The Government can have all my weapons: firearms of various kinds and vintages; blades of many sizes and shapes; axes, 'hawks, clubs, hammers and other items both offensive and defensive in nature.

After they pry my cold, dead fingers from them.

rthibeau... i have one thing to say to that...

HOOAH:D:D:D

I see the original post is nearly 2 YEARS old at this point.

Does anyone know what the CURRENT status of the ban is? Did it pass, get hung up in their parlement/legislature, get voted down?

It may also be interesting to note that Ireland proposed a similar ban on "Oriental" swords. Unfortunately, it was worded so broad as to be a sword ban too.

We now have a national ban on 'Samurai swords' [sic]. Badly defined, certain exemptions for collectors of genuine blades, certain martial arts etc. Well, it's not a ban, it's a ban on buying them (swords bought before the ban are grandfathered in).

As far as having an impact to a maker in England goes I see little here to concern me. Illegal to 'BUY', seems to be the big Hoohaa here, I see no mention of the word 'Sell' :D

Beside which, if I do make a japanese style Katana then purely by dint of being a hand made replica I think it falls outside of the 'wall hanger' bracket this legislation is aimed at. I'd also guess my prices would keep non serious collectors/enthusiasts away.

As far as having an impact to a maker in England goes I see little here to concern me. Illegal to 'BUY', seems to be the big Hoohaa here, I see no mention of the word 'Sell' :D

Beside which, if I do make a japanese style Katana then purely by dint of being a hand made replica I think it falls outside of the 'wall hanger' bracket this legislation is aimed at. I'd also guess my prices would keep non serious collectors/enthusiasts away.

I don't think so. AKCT - New Sword Legislation

I've spent a fair amount of time looking at various pieces of legislation from various countries dealing with various areas. A lesson I've learned is to never assume that the official reason for the legislation and the indended outcome, or even the actual outcome are in any way related.

Also, don't forget mission creep/thin end of the wedge/boiling a frog. According to statue law in the UK we are able to carry a knife with a folding blade with a length of 3" or less, without having to jstify ourselves to whatever authority has been appointed to 'look after' us. Since a certian piece of case law however, that covers locking folders. It's quite clear what the intention of the statute was, but a 'clever' lawyer decided to further his career by arguing that a locked folder is a fixed blade. This legislation was perhaps intended to stop 'Genuine traditional stainless steel Samurai Katana Kill Bill Movie Weapon

I'M NOT SURE BUT; A CURVED BLADE MAY BE WICKED LOOK'N! LIKE A RIFLE MAY BE A ASSAULT WEAPON? [the musket was used as an assault weapon for years.] The anti everything crowed eat's the elephant i scary bite at a time. :(

• 11 months later...

Dodge: the curved blade means you can cut deeper faster and with less work. a straight blade is more for thrusting and stabbing, so easier to block. also a curved blade is just way more intimidaiting. just my .02 cents worth. i may be a smithing noob but not a weapon noob. hope the conecticut commies (the uber liberal folk and peta) don't ban big sheath knives. i made a few of thoses :)

I read somewhere, can't remember which version of the press it was in(news paper etc.), that after the banning of firearms in a general capacity in England that the rate of violent crime in concert with a robery actually increased.

I tend to believe this!

The bad guys could still get guns, but the black market price went up, so a lot of the "low level" crooks(see tweekers etc) had to do with what they could get.

There were and I am sure still are many reports of persons holding up a store with a broken off and sharpened broom handle!

Now imagine being the crook for a second, if you have a GUN pointing at the clerk then you have a magic sort of power. That is the instant and intense fear produced by someone pointing a gun in your face with ill intent!

Now imagine holding a sharpened stick to the clerk! Not too empowering to say the least.

This has a sort of ripple effect, the clerk looking down at the sharpened stick thinks, "Not today buddy!", then while trying to stop the crook becomes impaled via the crooks pointy, laughable looking but still VERY deadly stick!

I have been robbed at gun point, it is not exactly fun. However I never really felt threatened, not in a sense of, "He is going to kill me!".

I have also had someone TRY to rod me bare handed. That was a bit more disturbing actually, seeing as his buddy was waiting a few paces off. I managed to convince him without violence not to attempt to rob me, at which point he tried to convince me to help him rob other people.

Oddly I envisioned the latter experience going sour much more quickly then the former, there was a MUCH greater intensity in the latter(no gun, just fists and mabey some hidden knives) then in the gun in face incident.

One thing that really disturbs me is that when a program is presented, such as gun baning, the results of that very thing in other countrys is not mentioned! It is always proposed as if it were the first such idea in history!

I can not remember the exact quote, but Hitler said something to the effect that he would not have been able to propel himself into power, while spouting his manifesto left and right, had the people not been so ignorant as a whole.

With all of the "information" out there now, one would be led, and generally is led to believe that the general population has a vast knowledge of all political going ons. I have not found this to be the case and personally know that I don't pay nearly enough attention to which new laws are being placed into effect without proper notification of the public or voting of the public for that matter.

They installed "public security observation" cameras in near Chicago for the lessening of police presence and to "fight" the crime. What actually occured after their installment was that the crime rate increased in all of the locations that they were placed!

I don't know if this is a physcological response of doing what is expected of you. That is, they place cameras in front of your apartment complex "expecting" you to commit a crime. Well, if that is what they expect of the public what do you think you will get!?

It might also be from their generally firing police officers to compensate for the pricing of the camera work and observation of said cameras.

Then they installed the cameras here in Rockford and the same thing happened. The crime went UP in the places where they put them.

Caleb Ramsby

Edited by Ramsberg