I Forge Iron

tips on forge welding

So hard to choose...

For "traditional" forge weld perhaps this test piece, 24 continuous inches of 1/8" x 1", forged to shape, bent in half, welded, partially twisted. Thanks to Chris Winterstein for the inspiration.
post-6738-0-18917200-1330214125_thumb.jppost-6738-0-95994200-1330214155_thumb.jp

In the edge work/ pattern weld area, I was happiest with this one. I'm not a knife maker except for fun.
post-6738-0-52479000-1330214197_thumb.jp

The most mathematically challenging fab weld (modern) job I've done is this stair rail, the rise AND run of the stair was inconsistent as well as going from a straight run (with a landing) at the top to a short elliptical section to an increasing curve at the bottom. Lots of integration with thick glass barriers at the top and fine woodwork at the bottom. Photo is before job was finished, they were moving in and the wood hand rail was yet to be installed.
post-6738-0-69854400-1330214328_thumb.jp

For sheer number of (modern) welds this one is my tops, a 20' by 45' c channel pergola next to a 1/4" plate Corten clad retaining wall that wrapped up and over onto an exterior plaza guarded by a zig-zag steel/cable rail, curved of course, barrier rail.
post-6738-0-47599500-1330214500_thumb.jppost-6738-0-43672100-1330214536_thumb.jp

Forging aluminum is great, make sure your tools are very well finished, near a polish as it is very sensative to any surface texture your tools may have. tongs, hammers and any tools touching it should be well dressed to ensure good suface finish after forging. The pine acts as a sort of temperature crayon, as soon as it smears a black line you have plenty of heat to forge with. You will feel it sieze up as it cools, do not foge too far past as then you may begin to work harden it. I use a pice split out of lumber, spruce will work fine as well, look for the black smear, pulling it in and out of the forge, gas would be preferable. Best of luck.

I suck at electric welding, but forge welding is just fun. I'm good enough with the stick to tack things in place and then forge weld them up. I wouldn't say best welds ever, but here's a couple of recent ones.

This is an arrowhead making tool for the hardie hole.

Wrapped 4 pieces around the center post to make the tenon and forge welded.

post-1310-0-66572000-1330433175_thumb.jp

Forged out shape of upper part with beginnings of the horn and cut off.

post-1310-0-03060300-1330433200_thumb.jp

Tack welded in two corners and jump welded to bottom piece.

post-1310-0-71104800-1330433234_thumb.jp

Finished shaping horn and riveted on some L6 for the cut off piece.

post-1310-0-43043900-1330433279_thumb.jp

There's also the "forge welded hammer" I did in the "Members Projects" section that is all forge welded together from pieces. http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/25909-forge-welded-hammer/

The more you do the easier it gets.

I suck at electric welding, but forge welding is just fun. I'm good enough with the stick to tack things in place and then forge weld them up. I wouldn't say best welds ever, but here's a couple of recent ones. This is an arrowhead making tool for the hardie hole. Wrapped 4 pieces around the center post to make the tenon and forge welded. post-1310-0-66572000-1330433175_thumb.jp Forged out shape of upper part with beginnings of the horn and cut off. post-1310-0-03060300-1330433200_thumb.jp Tack welded in two corners and jump welded to bottom piece. post-1310-0-71104800-1330433234_thumb.jp Finished shaping horn and riveted on some L6 for the cut off piece. post-1310-0-43043900-1330433279_thumb.jp There's also the "forge welded hammer" I did in the "Members Projects" section that is all forge welded together from pieces. The more you do the easier it gets.

that is a magnificent anvil

timothy miller ... i LOVE that!!!!!!!!!!!! i want to do that!! love love love it :) thats just blinkin beautiful... looks so GOOD!...

and david, theres no welder on here that could mend your broken heart, nobodies that clever... at least your smiling now :)

timothy miller ... i LOVE that!!!!!!!!!!!! i want to do that!! love love love it :) thats just blinkin beautiful... looks so GOOD!...

and david, theres no welder on here that could mend your broken heart, nobodies that clever... at least your smiling now :)

you are so rite.
however a good power hammer would go a long way to doing that.
I am currently in love from a distance with 3 french hammers (one a very old lady) and a german screw press (unrequited love is sweet but sad).
The great thing with power hammers is the more you learn the more you love them , the more you love them the more you learn.
I once welded up the heart valve of a massey (a massey with a broken heart) but alas it did break again. sometimes a transplant is the only answer to a broken heart......

This has to rate up there pretty high:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D6-w1g3_30

Not even welding on the anvil, just swinging in the air! Just jump up on it and hammer some more! Wow!

There's also one of forge welding a huge anchor where they're adding pieces to the pile and swinging away. Incredible! Oh, it's about 5 minutes into the chain making video posted earlier.

This spike hawk was welded up from one large piece..Welded the spike first then formed the eye..then the traditional welded bit..
newpics050-1.jpg
newpics052-1.jpg
newpics057.jpg
Then this little bag axe was welded up from three pieces..One for each side then the W2 bit..
100_4729.jpg

Recently I saw a nice inverter welder on Craigslist, and I mentioned it to the wife. She said that I've been doing more forge welding these days, and it doesn't use expensive equipment.

So, I tried something different today with my precious smithing time. Usually, I do something that there is at least some guarantee of success so that I don't finish empty handed. Well, today I took a risk and ended up empty handed. I tried to weld a block of steel to a 1x1 bar to make a hardy block. The weld never really took.

The bar was tapered on one end, and the other end was upset into a scarf. It was then put into a bolster plate and fullered out on the sides for the scarf edges. The block was dimpled with a round punch and then drifted square to fit the fullered tip on the shank. I used a flux made of filings, borax and boric acid. This has worked well in the past. The problem was that it was difficult to get both pieces hot enough at the same time. I burned up about 10 lbs of charcoal in a deep fire. What a waste! I ended up burning the backs of both my hands through my gloves due to the radiated heat. Those smiths who insist that their apprentices don't wear gloves must not have seen the fierce fire. One of the problems was that it was really difficult to handle both pieces at the same time. One would sink in and burn, and the other would tilt up and get heated unevenly.

Technically, the old books say that this jump weld should be a two man operation, but I thought that if I rehearsed it, it would be OK. Not even close!

Anybody do one of these single-handed and have any suggestions? Note, this is a trivial job, almost not worth mentioning, with a cheap buzz box welder and just about any garage sale rod.

Empty handed, but not empty headed, you definitely learned something from this experience

You now realise why hardie blocks are jumped up, ie they use less fuel, and easier to manage on your own, amongst other reasons

What sizes have you been welding prior to this? as this is a fairly difficult task to achieve on this size of materials. particularly as a first attempt.

To get two pieces of differing configurations and mass requires a fair degree of patience, concentration and manipulation, hence the use of two 'smiths and on this size, probably two forges.

You pointed out yourself the difficulty of keeping them in the fire to get them to the same heat, from the appearance in the pictures they were not near the required heat for them to stick, not quite sure all your preparation was necessary, Just a large dimple and a jumped up end should suffice.

Long handled tongs also help keep the radiated heat away,

I applaud you for attempting this not easy task and sharing the experience with us,

Try something a little more handleable next time and suited to your set up and good luck with your future endeavours, if you don't try, you will never get there.

Bruce Wilcox may come in and give an opinion if he sees this,

I would have looked at that from a different perspective and tried to weld a ring around the end of your bar exactly like a bolt head. that way you would be able to heat both the pieces in the fire at the same time. you would also be getting the stem up strait through the body of the hardy block.
weld it up and then upset it back .
I also think that it is always worth considering that the jump weld you are doing is rite at a stress riser, even if it took I think there is quite a probability it would have broken lose under heavy use.
Even really good forge welds are still a weak point in the metal (potentially) so maximizing the contact surface and post weld manipulation to stretch the weld interface are important (where ever possible)

Nice try-tough weld to do. You can also use another method to make a hardy block that I saw Mark Aspery demonstrate. He took an 1-1/4" bar-forged a taper on it and then drove it into the hardy hole with a sledge. Nice solution-hardy tool fits the hardy hole like a glove, and you can do it by yourself. I've seen pics of it somewhere-can't remember where-maybe someone else can help with that.

It wasn't a waste. You learned something. Doing it in charcoal makes it even harder. It doesn't support the pieces in the fire very well. Any time you have two pieces, either the drop the tongs weld or the jump weld you have to learn the dance before you attempt the weld. That means doing it cold first, several times. Start at the forge, swing pieces around, position them, drop tongs, pick up hammer, hit it, cha, cha, cha. Now again... Keep doing this until you know exactly what you're going to do. Make sure the hammer is in the same place and same position each time. If you have to drop the tongs so you can grab the hammer then drop the tongs on the floor. Don't lay them somewhere, you're loosing precious time which translates to precious heat. Now do it for real. Once they are just stuck together, gingerly put it back in the fire as one part, another welding heat and go to it. It's always easier once they are already together. It's then a protected surface weld and a good deep weld. Another problem is just getting them lined up right. If you're off when you first touch them they stick and if you're off you've got a problem. I do the dance and go from there, but if I can I use the stick welder just to tack the pieces together in a couple small tacks and then do the forge weld.