I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Picked this Fisher sawers anvil up at auction for $21. They had it listed as a horse anchor. I will get it cleaned up and better pictures. I know...my truck is a mess. Im using my Suburban to haul wood for making charcoal so it is what it is.

20180523_143047.jpg

20180523_143109.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2017 at 7:15 PM, Tom's Metal Shop said:

I can't find much about it or the company that maid it except that Gardiner MFG co. was founded in 1944.  So I know it's no older than 73 years old.   If anyone knows anything about it, I would love to know if it was a good find. 

IMG_7080.JPG

I have  this anvils brother or cousin. I bought mine from an old farmer about 20 miles from where it was made, but know very little as well about it. I did speak to old man Edwards at Edwards Heat Treating in Oakland, he remembered the company and had done some work for them way back. My anvil is in storage now, but I think the markings are identical. The stamped number on mine appeared to be 25460, perhaps the last digit was a C.

Remarkably good small Chinese anvil I picked up for my techs at work to use. I bought it on Ebay for $145 shipped, fully expecting it to be cast iron or low carbon steel, but figuring it would suffice for their usage. It’s an Italian/French pattern, 30kg or 66lbs, 3/4”~ hardy hole opposite the round horn. I usd flap discs on my disc grinder to clean up the horn casting, which was quite orange peely, but the flat face came ground smooth. I originally grabbed a new Johnson USA file to break/radius the edges, only to be met with a screech and now buggered file, hrumppff. Back to flap discs to put an 1/8” radius on most of it, and a greater 1/4” for the first 3.5” on either side nearest the round horn.I don’t have any large bearings to test rebound, but when lightly struck with a small hammer over the sweet spot it will throw it back at you. Both horns ring like the bells of Hades. Long story short, I am NOT submitting an expense report for this purchase because it is coming home to live in my shop to keep my other tools company!

For what it’s worth, I’ve had three Chinese steel anvils, as well as an American anvil. I’ve gotten lucky, one 110lb north German pattern was a good casting and harder than wood pecker lips just like this little guy. Second 110lb was a little less, but still a consistent low 50’s on the full face. A friend got same model, complete dog. Either luck of the draw on the alloy they happened to pour that day, or haphazard heat treatment. However, on a good note none of them was porous, again lucky. One of the 110lb went to my dads property, the other to a custom black powder rifle building friend of mine.

DD942B3F-8D12-41E2-B81B-B0E1D9A5C9F1.jpeg

9DEC3A92-B79E-4119-96EB-EE7087B22449.jpeg

C0B8C916-2480-4721-977C-5E4EEA2CE73D.jpeg

My new 153 pound anvil. I paid 370. I can't find any markings on it at all. Face is in extremely good condition, as if it was never used or was reserfaced. It has a larger radius ground in near the cutting table on both sides. The base looks old, with painted over rust but the face looks new. It seems to have decent bounce with (i don't have a good ball baring to test it with), but does not have a very high pitched ring.

Anyone able to help me with ID? Should I be worried about the not so high pitched ring? What do you guys think of the price?

I was using the anvil shaped object I made in the third picture for a couple of years. This actual worked quite well for me. New anvil has much better rebound than this as expected :)

20180703_111052.jpg

20180703_111041.jpg

20180703_115805[1].jpg

Shape of the ground away area also reads Fisher to me (right edge looks like a Fisher eagle).  There is a Fisher expert on the forum, I'm sure he will chime in if asked.

Any numbers on the feet?  I think some Fishers have the weight cast there.

No, there are no numbers on feet. I have checked very carefully. Even looked on the bottom.

I think your on to something with the ground away eagle. I'm sitting here comparing it with another picture with the fisher eagle and I agree. the upper right area looks like the top of the wing and head. I wonder if someone wanted a flat surface there and that is why they ground it off.

Any idea who that Fisher expert is?

So njanvilman had a look at this and responded through PM saying that this is a 1950's era Fisher. The company was making unmarked anvils at this time for an unknown reason he says. Also, the area we think we can see the eagle he says could possibly have had a paper label.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm super happy with this outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

My in-laws just won the birthday game... the top has definitely seen some use/abuse, but it beats the 50# chunk of cast iron I've been using. There are no markings that I could see about maker or weight, but it feels like it's at least 125#, if not more. Any thoughts on what make or type it might be?

20180714_174903.jpg