I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Pantagruelian! 

How Rabelaisian of you.

I hope it,  soon,  rains for you

(water that is), 

and not more Prime ministers.

We are watching, Pilgrim.  (at least some of us are).

Regards,

SLAG.

p.s.  I'm holding Gargantua on a tight leash.

• 2 weeks later...

This anvil followed me home from a job cleaning up an old farmstead. I haven’t built a stand yet, but this tub is knuckle high. I got to keep anything I wanted from there while I was tearing everything down. :(  Too many absentee landowners that are just looking at the bottom line. Everything I didn’t want was pushed into a pit and burned. Then it was covered over with topsoil and will be farmed in the spring.

C2D3A5C6-FF5E-4123-9BFB-69B3CAF5F9D4.thumb.jpeg.f237e81a2589427c38fb6579452ad721.jpeg7D576F0D-DC95-4D53-9AFD-EB8EB6970115.thumb.jpeg.f332e39dd23724527317a77b3e29c070.jpeg89C81A1C-6F8A-4146-8141-5A49AAC57146.thumb.jpeg.c85a361f78d923be09f14166a558aae6.jpeg

Nice score on the Arm and Hammer. Shame about the torch mark but atleast its just on the tail end. 

Those kinds of teardowns and clean outs are rough. There would be more I'd want to save then burn.  Ah well. Make a stand for that anvil and give it a job. :)

Somehow I can't see how throwing away about US$500 is only looking at the bottom line; I would rather factor in some "lack of intelligence".  Like when a NYC family was developing a farm near my house in NJ and bulldozed and burned the barn---which was made of chestnut and black walnut and was over 150 years old...I told them that they could have sold it to a company that recycles barns for around US$50K.  They turned a bit green.   I did salvage 1  2"x12" 10' long of black walnut with hand forged nails in it. from the burn pile.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Somehow I can't see how throwing away about US$500 is only looking at the bottom line; I would rather factor in some "lack of intelligence".  Like when a NYC family was developing a farm near my house in NJ and bulldozed and burned the barn---which was made of chestnut and black walnut and was over 150 years old...I told them that they could have sold it to a company that recycles barns for around US$50K.  They turned a bit green.   I did salvage 1  2"x12" 10' long of black walnut with hand forged nails in it. from the burn pile.

This was buried in a pile of rotten hay and the collapsed roof.  I was able to salvage most of the lumber in the house- true 2x’s in the entire house with balloon framing-20’+ boards.  There weren’t many solid boards put into the burn pile. Lots of elm saplings, shake shingles, and a ton of trash that the last tenants left. I’m surprised that the anvil was still there, as every scrap of metal was ripped out of there(too many meth-heads around here). 

I will get the serial # when I get home. I will probably have to grind the numerous layers of paint and junk off to even see the stamping- took 20 minutes to just clean off the side to see the markings. 

On 9/4/2018 at 1:36 PM, Daswulf said:

Nice score on the Arm and Hammer. Shame about the torch mark but atleast its just on the tail end. 

A shame ?!?

I wish mine had that much left !!

His shoulder to hammer head location is like mine.

I'm jealous, I live in Ohio, lived in Worthington (suburb of Columbus) prior to the Corps.

These were made by Columbus Anvil & Forge .

I initially thought & was led to believe that my anvil may have been a Hay-Budden.

I'm actually quite pleased that it's a local anvil given where I live.

I didnt know they weren't as plentiful as others.

Im trying to learn all I can about these anvils but I've yet to buy the AIA book.

IMG_8715.JPG

IMG_8781.PNG

IMG_8778.PNG

I mis-posted 33557 and was told 1918 but when I went back thru my pics o realized I'd mistakenly posted the wrong serial number.

Mine is 38557

My wife & I stopped exchanging gifts 10 years ago but she mentioned buying the AIA book this year for Christmas.

its taken all my strength not to just order  this book & hide it !

IMG_8716.JPG

J.L.P.,

Give up television,  (or drastically curtail viewing),  and you will have plenty of time for reading and other pursuits.

Mr. Powers has opined several times,  (on this forum),  that he does not own a television.

Regards,

SLAG.

I picked up my first anvil today, a JHM Sharper 160 lb. 

I bought it from my local farrier/blacksmith shop.  Its a lightly used anvil and I paid $600.00 for it.  Think I got a pretty good deal!

44746127711_b1e871f000_b.jpg

New Anvil by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Now I just have to line my forge with refractory, cure it and I am all set to start learning how to blacksmith.  I'm pretty excited!

Hey guys! New to the forum.

I received this from my grandfather, after expressing some interest in novice blacksmithing. (Thanks!)

I'm planning on keeping it in the family, however, I'm still very curious as to the value of this anvil? I've searched the forum and can't find exactly what the "110" weight equates to, or what the "2" stands for.

I also thought that it was interesting that part of the stamp was upside down! Is that common?

Lastly, my stomach dropped after reading the "read this first" thread. I have already made the mistake of taking a 320 grit flap disk to the surface... AHHH:( have I removed too much of the face for this to be usable? I wish I would've stumbled across you guys beforehand, but too late I guess. Oh well.

thanks!

IMG_20180918_215344.jpg

IMG_20180918_215451.jpg

IMG_20180918_215410.jpg

IMG_20180918_215301.jpg

IMG_20180918_215432.jpg

IMG_20180918_215314.jpg