I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Somehow I had a vision of an extremely battered book well splotched with mat grey paint sitting on Charles' bookcase...or would that be a "Primered Speller"?

JHCC did you see the Black Adder episode that dealt with Johnson's dictionary? "Ink and Incapability" where PERICOMBOBULATION and CONTRAFIBULARITIES are introduced into English...

4 hours ago, WestfordForge said:

Noted, and thanks.

If you highlight the words you want to quote, a quote this button pops up click on it. As far as the stand goes, I would keep it and if the anvil rings too much set it in latex calk that will damp the ring. BTW: great find.

6 hours ago, foundryguy said:

My first 200 lb H13 anvil casting. 198 lbs before machining. Anxious to get this tool completed

SWEET looking anvil FG!

About quenching massy steel like an anvil. Somewhere in the stacks of boxes in the basement I have some literature from Soderfors foundry regarding how they heat treat their anvils. 

They were cast in steel molds in an almost continuous line. Depending on the weight and shape they remained in the mold for a set period of time cooling. Then they were removed and placed under a water tank where a specific amount of water at a specific temp was poured on the face through a specific diameter gate. 

Back in the day I was thinking of pouring my version of a Fisher steel on iron anvil I'd planned on doing it next to a lake or river and using a 2" trash pump to provide the water. Soderfors used residual heat in the body to temper the face, the horn and heals were done with a torch later as residual heat didn't do an adequate job of tempering them.

The real trick they were kind of quiet about was how they stopped the temper running. I'd planned on putting the anvil on a stand above the lake or river under the pump outlet hose and when the face was the color I liked drop the anvil in the lake, river, or. . . Keeping the pump running on it to stop the temper.

My Soderfors skates a new sharp file without a mark and will flatten a new cold chisel struck on it. Probably >60 rc. She's my baby, I've never used better.

Frosty The Lucky.