I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Starting to read more about anvil identification... when they bring the anvil over to my place tomorrow, I'll take a few more pictures from all sides, measure it, see what the ring is like, etc etc and post all the info in a new thread. When I posted the picture earlier, I was still in shock (and awe) that they had found an anvil this size, actually bought the thing, and somehow managed to keep it a secret for the last month.

I’d hold a little resentment that someone kept an anvil secret from me for that long :)

it certainly looks Mousehole-ish.  But there were a number of makers from the same area who made similar anvils.  Congrats.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Arm & Hammer inquiry:

This one feels like 80 pound-ish (don't have a scale) and has it markings worn. The arm and hammer looks like it was hand engraved with a chisel.... or is just so worn it has that look. It does say "WROUGHT IRON" an is marked with a "7" and "L" where others seem to have the weight. The front has the serial number 33000. The manufacturer label is not clear.

I picked up the whole outfit from a gentleman who had it in his basement for 50 years and I paid a couple hundred bucks. We were both happy to have it in a good home and being used again. Included was a lever forge that I am getting up and running (under topic Lever Forge). It's been years and I can't wait to make smoke and noise again.

Is it an Arm And Hammer? Any other info  available?

Thank you,

Zeke

IMG_20180720_145323022.thumb.jpg.8c1f676ee607769699ab75bf0668505c.jpgIMG_20180720_144628322.thumb.jpg.499ab6b11eb43abbea1b5dddc84dcd63.jpgIMG_20180720_144109103.thumb.jpg.765e9429e0d3c88152a65c95a27ea63f.jpg

IMG_20180720_144109103.jpg

Thank you for looking ThomasPowers. I don't know what the marks on the underside are....

Can you tell me anything else about the anvil? What the "7" and "L" mean and how old? Where can I research it? It's always more interesting when using a piece of history to understand more about it. Keeps the world in perspective.

Regards, ZekeIMG_20180720_144300323.thumb.jpg.e02bcfb63cac1256fd06de48129bfe3e.jpg

Well the one source you must have for old anvils is "Anvils in America" by Richard Postman; it's what most of us here are working from...

You can see the steam hammer markings on the underside of the heel; most makers dressed them smooth---doesn't affect the anvils use either way as far as I am concerned. However this is a good indication that it's and A&H.  The caplet depression on the base is also indicative of A&H and Trenton as they sometimes shared bases---they were both in Columbus Ohio. (I have a 91# A&H for over 3 decades now with the hammer marks and the caplet and clear stamping.)

As for the date; I'd have to be home to check AinA

BTW the weight is stamped on the side below the Logo in pounds; so I'd read that as 71 pounds. A bathroom scale should corroborate that (though note that scales old and new may be off a pound or two if they are not certified and tested regularly.)

13 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

33000 would be around 1918-1919, (they didn't make an 88000 according to AinA)

Thank you. Now I can imagine the original owner, after a hard weeks work, enjoying the Flappers at the Speakeasy. Gotta love the sense of history.

Looking for help identifying this anvil.  It's been in our family for 5 generations.  We were told it was pre Civil War and that it could have been brought down from Pennsylvania to central Virginia before the war started.  I can't clearly make out the stamp on the side.  The spray paint is from my grandfather putting his initials on either side of the anvil.

Thanks.

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

haven't spent much time cleaning it up yet, only went far enough to figure out what it was. how the edge looks up close it seems like its rolled over not a weld like i initially thought.  so honestly no clue on if the top has been replaced or not...  the rebound feels good but I'm crazy green so take that how you will.

Which is why there is a simple test that gives objective data. Look up the ball bearing test.

Even top brand anvils can get stuck in a structure file and get annealed, the ball bearing test will show it's status.

Note you can use an anvil with a softer face it's just not as efficient. (and should be priced lower!)