I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

I know of two wests out here in NM but both are over 700 pounds---I've never seen a "baby" one! (and one of them was *given* to a friend of mine, grr grr...)
Thomas, I wonder if the Kohlswa anvils are made with the same steel as the West vanadium cast steel anvils. I also wonder what the qualitative differences would be between the old West manufacturing technology and the modern Kohlswas.

That's a very good quality of anvil, and it's in mint condition. The question, though, is do you need it? Are you just starting out? Are you planning on doing any moving in the near future? Will you be doing demonstrations at fairs?

At $3/lb, it's a reasonable purchase. Not a great price, but the quality of the anvil is as good as you can get and I'd be hard-pressed to pass it up.

• 8 months later...

Just purchased my first anvil. Didn't think I should create a whole new thread for it. It is a 120# Peter Wright which has a chip as you can see. I've been looking for awhile and finally found this for $250. Any thoughts on it? The guy I got it from was great and showed me all his metalworking tools and even some super rare tractor that he restored. ceM2Q.jpg

tim some of us do need to be able to move them now and then my shop has to have everything moved to a wall if we have to bring a tractor in and split it so vices forges /table saw/ lathe /anvils /drill press/ welder/ chop saw/ band saw/ grinders welding tablex2 20ton press are all on wheels or movable with a hand truck its not perfect but when we build the shop we thought 30x30 would be big enough i sure wish i had had the cash to chip in to bump it to a 40x30 but thats the way it goes so long story short if you need mobility you have to sacrifice stability to some degree

and i have yet to really be happy with a mobile anvil stand my 120lb fisher is on a 200lb stand and i still make it jump around but when stripped down it weighs about 220 or so and can be moved without much trouble

on a side note with a little work you can have a anvil stand with the wheels just off the ground so that you can tip it to one side a roll it far better than having it rest of the wheels all the time