I Forge Iron

Hand Iron (Sad Iron)

So I need to make a hand shaped hand iron for my mom for a gag gift for Christmas next year and was wonder what the best way to tackle the project would be.  I know I have a lot of work to do until then but I want to know the basic idea of where to start and what skills to work on now to build up to the project.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not really a blacksmithing project, the 1st thing that comes to my mind is simply cutting the hand out of steel plate with a plasma cutter or OA torch. Then add a forged handle, possibly riveting it on. You could also take teh cut shape and then use the forge to round the edges, add wrinkles and other details.

For a gag gift 1/4" to 1/2" plate would work and if push came to shove, that could be cut with a jig saw if need be.

If you want to go more authentic, and have the tools and skill, you could make a wood pattern for the base in the shape you want.  Take it to Cattail Foundry in Lancaster County, and get one cast.  Drill and tap threads into the iron, and make a handle to fit.

Every sad iron I have ever seen were cast iron.

Mr. Powers, you sir, are a revolutionary thinker. I wish you were a politician. The world would be a brighter place.

Wouldn't that bring new meaning to Presidential Powers? Okay, I gotta stop now or I'll get completely carried away.

Frosty he Lucky.

A pretty hard project from scratch. I would visit the scrap dealer and find a heavy block of mild and then get someone with a plasma cutter or a water cutter to shape the pointy end. The artistry on your part will be to forge a neat decorative handle. Perhaps some fancy scroll work or fullering.
We have a vast array of sad irons in our museum and many have carefully crafted handles.
And what a nice idea for your Mum. She will treasure it!

I have an elderly Aunt who's collected Sad Irons for over 60 years.  They're sitting all over Her house, ... and while I've never paid them much attention, ... they seen to come in 2 basic styles.  The traditional shaped, 1 piece, cast iron variety, ... and the 2 piece, "football" or "pointed oval" shape, that has a detachable wooden handle.  I mention the 2nd type, because the "iron" portion of that type, wouldn't be a difficult thing to make.

It's basically a 1.5" thick, by 6" long, by 2.5" wide, chunk of flat bar, ... with the ends formed into a point, ... and a Handle attached in whatever fashion you favor.   No reason you couldn't make that sort of thing in the "traditional" shape, as well.

I'm sure a GOOGLE search will yield a ton of pictures.

actually on my scrap pile is a torch cut hand out of 1/4"? stock.  Fairly large.

I found it at the scrapyard and my idea was to forge it out a bit and start dishing it for a 3D look and use it as a Halloween decoration coming out of the ground.  My regret is that it's not 6 fingered...

As for running for office---you should meet my cousins Powers of Darkness and Powers of Evil...

And I agree bacon should be chewy!  (and chocolate chip cookies crunchy)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Wouldn't that bring new meaning to Presidential Powers? Okay, I gotta stop now or I'll get completely carried away.

Frosty he Lucky.

Mr. Powers, you sir, are a revolutionary thinker. I wish you were a politician. The world would be a brighter place.

If someone treated him really badly, that would be an abuse of Executive Powers.

On 10/7/2015 at 11:14 AM, SmoothBore said:

One more thought about homemade cookies .....

When other Shortenings began to replace Lard, ... they just haven't been the same..

I've made chocolate chip cookies with bacon grease. Those were some xxxx good cookies.