I Forge Iron

Are you Left or Right???

i hit with my right and facing the anvilhorn usally to the left but if i need it theother way i just pick up the anvil and the oak stump and turn it of corse its only 130 pound anvil i guess its around 200 all together i'm still using the muscle over brains some day i'll learn

I swing a hammer with my right hand and have the bick or horn of the anvil oriented to my left.

This allows me to chamfer eyes and do bevelled scroll work -where I have to move completely around the bick - without interfering with my hammer hand.

I would prefer the hardy to be to my left over the mass of the anvil. This is not a safety concern as I rarely use a hardy cut off - favoring a hot-cut chisel, but a pragmatic want to get more return to my hammer blows.

Alas I have a London Pattern anvil and the hardy hole is in the heel and so to my right.

I'm right handed. When I started out, I turned the horn to the right. I found that handy for some things, like keeping my hammer hand away from sharp hardie tools.....But I seldom used the heel of the anvil for any thing. It was just awkward, I guess. I rarely turned the anvil the other way because the old shop was so cramped.

When I moved to a larger shop, since I then had room, I began turning the horn to the left. I started using the heel more since it was much more accessable.
I still like the 'horn to the right' for some things, but I was surprised that it was so easy to get used to 'horn to the left' as well.

I may twist my anvil and stump around a couple times a day, searching for what 'feels right'
I learn something new every day!

Right handed and use the horn on my right.
I have an old 400 lb Wilkinson anvil sitting on a hard wood stump buried 3 feet into the floor, it took me a long time to make up my mind on this one!
Moving that thing is not something I want to do often.
If I need the anvil the other way I simply step around it, the metal ain't gonna cool that fast.

My anvil (having two horns) is placed such that the position of the hardy hole is closest to the hand that holds my tongs - away from my hammer hand and lessening the risk of injury when cycling from the anvil to the cut-off hardy when it is placed in the hardy hole. This also puts the upsetting block toward me and the preanvil at the far side of my manvil face.