I Forge Iron

Are you Left or Right???

Righty, hammer with right hand, tongs in the left, and my anvil faces to the right, partly because i like it that way and partly because of shop space requirements, this way i can go and work on very fine curves on the tip of the horn from the front, and it just feels more natural.

My main anvil came with a very heavy thick-walled iron stand. The inside surface of the stand tilts down and away from where I stand. As the result the horn is to my left. Any other placement and the anvil's surface would be at an impractical/impossible angle. I have tried to level the anvil with sand, but the anvil is heavy and gradually works itself down into the sand and back to where it wants to be. A previous anvil I tried pointing to the right, and that worked OK because I could see what was happening on the horn better, but with experience, I can now work just as well with the horn to the left and also have the benefit of better posture while working. The slanted anvil stand's surface is interesting. The smith that used it was probably my height because with my arm extended the top of the anvil lines up with the face of my hammer when my wrist is at a comfortable angle.... the angle that mimics that angle of your wrist when using an axe.

also pointing directly towards me and directly away from me.

I am right handed (hammer right, hold w/ left). I usually end up with the horn pointing away from me. Please reference attached, um, diagram. My anvil has a fair bit of a sway-back/saddle-back to it. Therefore the area of my anvil that is the flattest and least likely to introduce unnecessary curves to a workpiece is perpendicular to the anvil's main axis of symmetry (i.e. across the face).

Add to this that at area *A* I have a fairly well rounded edge that I use as a fuller for drawing out and it only makes sense for me to stand where I do, I think. Your mileage may vary.

-Aaron @ the SCF (and yes, I am one of those people who does most of my general drawing out with half-face blows over the edge of the anvil)

Me_at_the_anvil.jpg

I am left handed, with the horn left. Works good for a heavy anvil.

With a 100-150 pound anvil you can find the anvil turned all sorts of directions, including horn pointing up, horn pointing down, and even with the anvil on its side.