I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

G'day,

Just chuckin' myself into the Aussie roll call.

I am James , up here in Cairns, FNQ. Hobby smithing at the moment , hoping to make something out of it in the future, once the kids leave and I move out to the sticks where the nearest neighbour is a .303 round away.

Got into blacksmithing because I needed to make a tow hook for the 4x4 and one thing lead to another .

I have a craving for of old tools and machinery , so anywhere in the bush where there is something quietly rusting away you'll find me { trying to drag it home }.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day Mates, what a great Forum!

I'm from Barellan Point near Ipswich, QLD; God's country.

I have recently retired from Defence after close on 35 years and can now pursue a number of passions, Blacksmithing being the main one. I have completed the annex to the shed to act as the Smithy and am populating it with 'heavy' stuff. I will be making tools in the first instance and then hope to do some leaf work, baskets, decorative stuff etc. Not Dragons and such but Australiania if that is possible. I have completed a couple of weekend courses at the Cobb and Co Museum in Toowoomba and found them helpful. This is the first time I have ever posted anything on a forum and am finding it great.

Regards to all, Ned Kelly. And yes that actually is my name. And no I don't think I am related to the original. 

Ned Kelly. And yes that actually is my name.

Ha ha, I bet you're sick of explaining that :) Parents had a sense of humour did they?

I wasn't aware of the courses at C&C Towoomba, bit far for me to drive (from Bundy) but could be worth it maybe.

______

Rob

G'day Rob, yes C&C Museum at Toowoomba run quite a lot of Blacksmith courses. Centred mainly on 'tasters' like beginners courses etc, however they run about three Project courses a year, which are more in depth and much more interesting. Terry Drennan is the lead Blacksmith and Tutor there and is a nice bloke. The courses cost a bit, but Smokos and Lunch are supplied as well as all the materials. They have a good web site so check it out. I don't think there is much now till next year as everything fills up quickly. I'm doing the Knife and Hatchet making one in November. Regards Ned

G'day,

Just chuckin' myself into the Aussie roll call.

I am James , up here in Cairns, FNQ. Hobby smithing at the moment , hoping to make something out of it in the future, once the kids leave and I move out to the sticks where the nearest neighbour is a .303 round away.

Got into blacksmithing because I needed to make a tow hook for the 4x4 and one thing lead to another .

I have a craving for of old tools and machinery , so anywhere in the bush where there is something quietly rusting away you'll find me { trying to drag it home }.

hey james, I'm in gordonvale, i like your philosophy, and live by the same. i hope we don't tread on each others rusty toes ;)

woody.

Hey, c'mon Rob! At Bundy you're only a stone's throw from Toowoomba!! I'm doing Terry's course in October and flying down from Cairns.
And Ned, good to hear you found the C&C courses useful. I'm sure I will find the same.

G'day Mates, what a great Forum!

I'm from Barellan Point near Ipswich, QLD; God's country.

I have recently retired from Defence after close on 35 years and can now pursue a number of passions, Blacksmithing being the main one. I have completed the annex to the shed to act as the Smithy and am populating it with 'heavy' stuff. I will be making tools in the first instance and then hope to do some leaf work, baskets, decorative stuff etc. Not Dragons and such but Australiania if that is possible. I have completed a couple of weekend courses at the Cobb and Co Museum in Toowoomba and found them helpful. This is the first time I have ever posted anything on a forum and am finding it great.

Regards to all, Ned Kelly. And yes that actually is my name. And no I don't think I am related to the original. 

hi Ned Im bit further west of you at Minden There is a group that meet twice a month in Brisbane also know of someone in Ipswich that has just started doing courses again. Let me know if you need any more info. Have fun with the addiction 

• 8 months later...

Hi Alex, I live in South Townsville. I have a Facebook page ' Denise Axelsen Artisan Blacksmith ' all my contact details are on there. Always happy to have visitors. I don't know a lot but possibly a bit more than you, and willing to share what I do know.

Alextynan ,

Denise is the person I was refurring to when I said I knew some 1 in Townsville , I was hoping she'd see this thread & chime in with an invite to her shop

Dale Russell

Edited by Dale Russell
fix spelling mistakes

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Daniel,

How's things in the west? I reckon it would be good to post up a map of Australia with a few names on it, showing where the regular posters are. I don't have the IT skills but I reckon it would be possible. Haven't seen any postings from anyone in Tassie. Or the Territory for that matter.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

G'day Stump. Humpty Doo ay? Nice part of the country up there. I hear you're getting big rain. Wet season started here too. Hope you show us some of your stuff on the knife forum. Cheers, mate.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 1:25 AM, Gorō said:

Hey guys anybody with a power hammer or hydraulic press?

G'day Peter. Next rally at Menangle is 20/21th May, 2017. ABA will be there, make contact with the hammer owners. Details at; www.csmm.com.au

regs, Andrew.