I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

Howdy Marc1,that's for the reply.The one in the  pic is mine and the original base restore was a deliberate chore as this is my 1st Anvil and you have to start somewhere...Best place to start is at the bottom...I may look at a Red Gum platform /stand details to work on.Thank's for Your Time and Info....Cheers, peter.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy graynomad,The day before the Grandchildren were over and right in the middle a storm came through so that was that.They use Grandads chalk and play Hopscotch....Most children don't do this sort of activity now...Cheers.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:06 PM, Dale Russell said:

Hi Peter 

Have you looked at your local smithing  groups ?

Thanks Dale,I will certainly check them out...Cheers.

Hey, fellow Australians. Just caught up with some posts here. Hope you're all well and getting in some blacksmith time. My daily demos at our historic village have come to a grinding halt, but I still get a bit of forge time at home. More time to spend on scrap art now.

Not much to say really, just checking in to say g'day.

Aussies will find this interesting.As I delve into Blacksmithing I will be setting up as to be able to continue/use the gear for Sheetmetal Work.This Pic is My 40 year old working set of  Hammers...The Handles hand Hewn from Australian Mountain Tea-Tree  from the snowline above Marysville,Victoria...(remembering MARYSVILLE was Raised to the ground in the Black Saturday Fires)..  Set with lead wedges they have been incomparable to any Hammer I have picked up...Will be interesting for me as to there performance on the heavier Blacksmith Gear...Cheers Peter.

UPLOAD.jpg

Aussies will find this interesting.As I delve into Blacksmithing I will be setting up as to be able to continue/use the gear for Sheetmetal Work.This Pic is My 40 year old working set of  Hammers...The Handles hand Hewn from Australian Mountain Tea-Tree  from the snowline above Marysville,Victoria...(remembering MARYSVILLE was Raised to the ground in the Black Saturday Fires)..  Set with lead wedges they have been incomparable to any Hammer I have picked up...Will be interesting for me as to there performance on the heavier Blacksmith Gear...Cheers Peter.

Australian Mountain Tea Tree (3)-1.jpg

Australian Mountain Tea Tree (4)-1.jpg

Hey all

Bart from the Gold Coast. I'm not smithing yet but want to start. Still researching the best options to begin without spending a mint and whether to go gas vs coal. I'm on a small property so I can make my own charcoal easy enough but have been reading that gas may be better for a beginner coz you don't have to stress about heat control as much. 

Anyway would love to hear from some of you. 

Cheers 

Bart 

On 4/18/2020 at 5:15 PM, Marc1 said:

There was a guy born in Sweden living in North Queensland doing metalwork and complaining about the heat ... "Platypus gardens" was his nome de plume. 

I guess we aren't quite made for it up north. And I swear it's been getting worse with the years.

It was really nice when I used to do a lot of diving, but mid-summer now I'll go outside after the sun has gone down, grab a file and... Immediately not see a thing because my eyes are full of sweat. It's the humdidity that really gets to me though.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

G'day all, 

I'm on holidays in Cairns and I was fortunate enough to be able to take the family up to the historic village in Herberton to meet Darryl (Ausfire) and catch his demo. He was a pleasure to watch and a pleasure to meet and chat with afterwards.

Thanks Darryl! Love your work!

Cheers, 

Jono.