I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

Welcome to Oz, Peter.
Post on iForge when you stop by at anew location, we have friends around Townsville, Brisbane, North Coast NSW, Newcastle region (and inland of there). If you get to Sydney, i could suggest a few visits. Mid September I'm probably doing something at a market in Menai, mid October is the Campbelltown Steam and Machinery museum's open day, end Oct there is a do on near Braidwood... on and on it goes!
Then there is surely woodie stuff which i know little about.
enjoy,
AndrewOC

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day to all Gibbo here,I've been on this site for maybe a year and I've only just found this thread I'm a bit slow on the uptake anyways I live in Sydney's west out near penrith ,I'm a backyard basher and all round tinkera ,made myself a coal forge bout a year ago and I'm hooked I'm currently doin a gas forge just have to put the kaowool an a couple of firebricks and she will be cranking.ive made a few knives now I love doin them each one I do I see my skill level increase but it's still a long journey to go, would love to catch up with a fellow steel basher who is close bye and have a couple cold ones and bash something hot
Cheers Gibbo

Gidday All, I'm waiting patiently for some gear to arrive to build my first forge (gas) so I have the whole journey ahead of me yet. I like to make things for myself (my longbow and an arrow in avatar) and I want to get into knife making plus other pointy/sharp objects. I also like toolmaking and did a bit 20+ years ago when I was a fitter in a sugar mill. I've been lurking around for a while and finally have signed up to introduce myself. Looking forward to reading more of your projects on here, fascinating and inspiring.

Cheers........ Rod

Welcome Gibbo and Rod,
Sure ta find some good stuff here. Definitely others around Townsville and all over Sydney.
Gibbo, have you heard of the Campbelltown Steam and Machinery museum? They are having an open 'day' on the 13th and 14th of October, I intend to be involved with the blacksmithing area which has just started out. see; http://www.csmm.com.au/
cheers,
AndrewOC

yer on the right page of the right book...... But it is a saga! As much as id like to help, it is pretty much every man for himself up here :P
once my steam hammer is running you are welcome to come and use it!
You dont happen to know of any one with a boiler!??

Hey Woody have you found a boiler & got that awesome hammer going yet?

Hello Hans here from Atherton , been on the Tablelands since 86 ,and love it ,got my own shop here since 92 , and just bought a......3cwt Massey :wub: ...just hang on... i heard a noise outside..................a yea ...its only Woody, trying to dig under the fence to get to the Massey :P .. hope to hear from others from around up here .cheers and Get it hot and hit it hard.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have been hobbie self taught blade smith/blacksmith for about 8 years in my spair time.

Dont mind making some tools here and then but like to concentrate of forging various traditional weapons

I live down Gosford Way on The Central Coast hour north of Sydney NSW.

Would like to meet up with some other smiths to nail in a few ideas iv taught myself over the years.

Found the traditional tools group in Sydney which seems like it has a few blacksmiths and alike involved

• 2 weeks later...

Gidday All, I'm waiting patiently for some gear to arrive to build my first forge (gas) so I have the whole journey ahead of me yet. I like to make things for myself (my longbow and an arrow in avatar) and I want to get into knife making plus other pointy/sharp objects. I also like toolmaking and did a bit 20+ years ago when I was a fitter in a sugar mill. I've been lurking around for a while and finally have signed up to introduce myself. Looking forward to reading more of your projects on here, fascinating and inspiring.

Cheers........ Rod

which mill rod?

i am guessing a burdekin one?

i work at mulgrave mill in gordonvale

• 4 months later...

Everyone says g'day so let me say that as well.

I've been a hobby wood working tool maker for about 5 years so have had to harden and temper tool steel for some time. I was doing this where I used to work in computer controlled furnaces but also have done some simple heat treatments at home in my shed with a MAPP torch and a few fire bricks. I retired two months ago and did a blacksmithing course - loved it. Then got really excited about the feasibility of tool making using some blacksmithing techniques and have built a forge and eventually found this site with the recommendation from AndrewOC.

Here's a couple of samples of what I do.

post-39957-0-48425400-1367401112_thumb.j

The is a set of woodwork plane makers floats (rasps) these are tools for making wooden planes.

This is a set of tools for a luthier friend of mine

post-39957-0-61867200-1367401137_thumb.j 

I also mill all the wood for the handles - The float handles are pear wood and the luthier set are Redgum and Sheoak.

Looks like your putting together some rather professional looking work already.

Your wood working skills will help you in blacksmithing as a fair few items have some sort of wood aspect.

Look forward to seeing some of the blacksmithing work you do.

Looks like your putting together some rather professional looking work already.

Your wood working skills will help you in blacksmithing as a fair few items have some sort of wood aspect.

Look forward to seeing some of the blacksmithing work you do.

Cheers Toolish,

I really like the look and feel of old school tools and have been bodging a few by welding etc but would prefer to be forging them properly.

Here are a few more I did all the metal and woodwork for.

post-39957-0-90635100-1367404237_thumb.jpost-39957-0-92212800-1367404295_thumb.jpost-39957-0-83774400-1367404337_thumb.jpost-39957-0-62117300-1367404362_thumb.j

Yep those are some nice tools, been meaning to make a few wood working tools, the up side of most wood working tools is you usually only need a small portion of metal (helps if you get the right steel for the job and temper it correctly.

Me personally have always avoided wood work, as I ruin wood much faster then I do with metal work lol 

As with most things I find there is always 10 different ways to go about doing the same thing, you just got to work out the best way to do it with your skills and tools available at the time.

Shame you live in a different state.

• 3 weeks later...

G'day guys.

Im Leon from the Gold Coast, Ive always been interested in blacksmithing yet havet had a chance to do it yet. As i will be finishing my Engineering degree soon (and finally be getting some free time again), i decided to reward my self by learning this age old trade.

Growing up dad always had a garage full of wood working tools and together we have made so pretty awesome stuff. Since then we both have had an interest  in replicating props from movies and TV shows, the more creative we get the more skills we need to learn and recently we have started working with metal and are loving it.

Ideally i would love to make knives, swords and armor (both practical and decorative).  I have an old steel weight, 200x150x100 that i plan to use as an anvil and a 2-3Kg sledge to work with. I still have to make a forge and choose a fuel source (I'm thinking Charcoal because i can make it my self) but if there is a better option please let me know.

Any tips or advice on getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Leon

G'Day everyone i have just found this thread so i have raised it from the dead...

I'm Darren and i'm form the Hunter Valley. I am new to this blacksmithing but i have worked with steel all my life. History is a big interest to me too.

Thanks

Hi darren, Im kinda close to you down on the central coast, just kinda getting all the gear I want together (just picked up a leg vice)

Think there is a few guys up your way, Its where all of my blacksmith equipment seems to come from too, so keep an eye out.

Theres a group called "Artist Blacksmiths NSW" they have a few members near you and seem to do hammer ins and open anvil nights near you, they have a facebook group and site  http://www.artistblacksmithnsw.com/ if you want to get in contact with them.

I'd invite you down to my place but it would be the blind leading the blind.

Theres also a 2 day smithing demo in Redfern coming up in July if your interested

G'day

Lance here from Perth Western Australia.

Just starting out down the path of the smith. Fitter/machinist by trade. I have been doing a bit of cold work and am now keen to get a nice source of heat going and do some heat treating. Next mission is a LPG gas forge shortly followed by some dodgy hot metal attempts at blade forging.

Onya Lance. Lookin forward to see what you get up to.

I'm still in the middle of a kitchen reno - as soon as that is done I will extend the gas line down to my shed so I can get back to the forge.

Bob