OZ roll call

Dale Russell

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day,

Tom checking in from Central VIC here. (Macedon Ranges).

Just starting out, some basic tools, etc, bashing red hot metal when I can. Interested in it as a hobby, and to make some gates/ornaments/etc for the garden and home.

Have to say it's quite addictive so far.

Cheers,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Onya Burkey,
I might drop you a line next time I visit cousins down that way.  You know of the Bundoora guys, of course?
AndrewOC

Can't say I do mate, feel free to drop by and have a beer and a gab when you're in the area.

bundoora guys is my informal name for the Australian Blacksmiths Association (Victoria); http://www.abavic.org.au/?Where_We_Meet
There is also the guys at Mont de Lancey historic site; http://www.blacksmithing.com.au/
I consider you lucky 'cos Sydney ain't so organised.
A.

Ah, I read up about the ABA but found it a little daunting to get involved in.

I've visited the bloke from Mont de Lancey. Hes the guy I picked the anvil up from and a couple bags of coke. Nice bloke, gave me a stump for free and a bunch of plans and a handful of rivits. Lucky he gave me the stump as all the wood here I've bucked short and split for the firewood stack and I didn't really want to use my splitting block.

• 2 months later...

Hey knackers

Luckily for you the best blacksmith in Australia lives in Braidwood, his name is Mr Glen Moon, if I were you I would give him a ring and see if you can wrangle an invitiation to either Hammered or IronCorroborre, (corroborree is in Feb)

The moon has a website that you can get his details from search www.springandhammersmith.com.  (I won't give his phone No out on a public forum such as this)

All the best

Phil

• 2 months later...

G'day All,

Calling on all who have seen their fair share of anvils.

Just picked up a pair of anvils one is a Connellan & Son Brisbane other unknown as yet. Did a quick search of the web and turned up nothing on this maker. Any one know of these?  

See pics.

Regards,

Geoff.

post-26316-0-63824100-1395557485_thumb.j

post-26316-0-43526400-1395557519_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there guys and gals,

Weekend basher from toowoomba Qld, trying to get into it a bit more but hard to find good tools and I just don't get enough time. I built myself a forge from a few bits and pieces and works great.

I would love to get to some gatherings around the place, time permitting.

Wow. 20 pages of Australian stuff. Guess I'd better add my name to the list.
I live in Far North Queensland, a teacher by profession (retired now) but always have a liking for forging things. (Not always successfully.) There is a lot to be learnt on these forums and my skills have improved.
There aren't many blacksmiths up this way so I intend to head down to Toowoomba one day and do one of the courses offered by the Cobb and Co museum down there.
I have the luxury of being able to do blacksmith demos at our local heritage museum - I keep it simple and people seem to enjoy watching hooks, handles, ram's heads, snakes etc emerge from the forge. I never do forge welding (a) because sparks are too close to the barriers and ( B) I'm not good at it.
I guess we all have our particular skills - I can learn a lot from people on this site (and I could teach a few of them to spell too!)
Anyway, good to know there are lots of Australians on the forums. G'day to all of you from the Far North.

post-50874-0-58365600-1398072940_thumb.j 

G'day All,

Just picked up a pair of anvils one is a Connellan & Son Brisbane other unknown as yet. Did a quick search of the web and turned up nothing on this maker. Any one know of these?  
See pics.

Regards,
Geoff.
attachicon.gif2014-03-23 10.24.36.jpg
attachicon.gif2014-03-23 10.26.06.jpg

Hi Geoff,
Snap! My anvil is a Connellan. I got it from Stuart, the Antique Tools guy in Caloundra. He knows a lot about anvils - so maybe he can help with info on yours. Google his website. Eye candy.
Cheers from NQ.

Hey there guys and gals,

Weekend basher from toowoomba Qld, trying to get into it a bit more but hard to find good tools and I just don't get enough time. I built myself a forge from a few bits and pieces and works great.

I would love to get to some gatherings around the place, time permitting.

G'day Jimmyjames

Im about 45 min down the hill from you towards ipswich. If you want to drive a bit there is a club that meets at Pinkenba. Might even be able to team up a day here with you  some day. Send me a message some time if interested.

Wow. 20 pages of Australian stuff. Guess I'd better add my name to the list.
I live in Far North Queensland, a teacher by profession (retired now) but always have a liking for forging things. (Not always successfully.) There is a lot to be learnt on these forums and my skills have improved.
There aren't many blacksmiths up this way so I intend to head down to Toowoomba one day and do one of the courses offered by the Cobb and Co museum down there.
I have the luxury of being able to do blacksmith demos at our local heritage museum - I keep it simple and people seem to enjoy watching hooks, handles, ram's heads, snakes etc emerge from the forge. I never do forge welding (a) because sparks are too close to the barriers and ( B) I'm not good at it.
I guess we all have our particular skills - I can learn a lot from people on this site (and I could teach a few of them to spell too!)
Anyway, good to know there are lots of Australians on the forums. G'day to all of you from the Far North.

G'day Ausfire, If you get to do a course with Terry at the Cobb & Co you will enjoy yourself. And I need heaps of help with spelling :-))

pjh66: Yes, I have heard the courses at Cobb and Co are very worthwhile. A long drive for me, but I think I'll do it. And I know my way around Toowoomba. Did all my school days there. (A long time ago!)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, Rob from (near) Bundaberg.

Done a little smithing before but decided recently to get into it for real so just bought some gear and will start building a smithy in a few weeks.

I see a lot of people in SEQ and some in FNQ but nobody in the middle so if anyone is heading from one to the other we live on 25 acres just a few k off the Bruce Hwy and I'd love to chat around a campfire with a beer or two. Of course if there is anyone near Bundy the same applies :)