I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

"Blacksmiths can't listen to other peoples' ideas about what's obsolete, or we'd have to throw out our power hammers, shapers and camel backs! Shucks, I'd be left with nothing but an anvil and a welder.  Nope, scratch that--just a welder!"

-- Sanderson Iron (I don't have a real name to credit)

Give a $130 hammer to a newbie and he will only be able to produce to his level of knowledge, skill and expertise. Give a $3.00 hammer to a blacksmith and he will be able to produce to his level of knowledge, skill and expertise.

Tools do not make the blacksmith, the blacksmith makes the tools. Glenn

A hole in the ground has been used as a forge for several thousand years now; good clay soil just makes it better!  In reality many modern forges could just be considered to be a way to elevate a hole in the ground to a convenient height and to make it more portable.  Thomas Powers

"I time almost everything I do and I work in lots, 5 of this, 20 of that.  Before I started keeping track, I under priced a lot of stuff.  It's appears to be a universal trait of craftsmen, we think we're pricing well, but we consistently under estimate how long something takes to make." - Gerald Boggs 

A very wise advice for every blacksmith new on the pro line.

Bests to all:

Gergely

Rule #1 - You can't hold Hot Metal with your Bare Hands. Use something, that will hold your work. There is no Law that you "HAVE TO USE Tongs", But they are very forgiving. Rule #2 - If in doubt, refer to Rule #1. BUT....... Do it with a smile!!!!! Neil    Swedefiddle

I've come to the conclusion that anvils are herd animals:  They tend to gather in herds when you provide the right accommodations for them to be happy.  Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out what those accommodations which grow a herd actually are.  From what I've seen of others, many have developed a magic pheromone which seems to make an existing herd attract more iron livestock.  I guess anvil herders just have skills. Kozzy

11 minutes ago, Glenn said:

I've come to the conclusion that anvils are herd animals:  They tend to gather in herds when you provide the right accommodations for them to be happy.  Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out what those accommodations which grow a herd actually are.  From what I've seen of others, many have developed a magic pheromone which seems to make an existing herd attract more iron livestock.  I guess anvil herders just have skills. Kozzy

It's their animal magnetism.

13 hours ago, Glenn said:

From what I've seen of others, many have developed a magic pheromone which seems to make an existing herd attract more iron livestock.

It is called 'QuenchTestosterone', the manly fragrance exuded by portly, balding men in bluejeans and IFI T-shirts, covered by powdered scale and coal dust.:rolleyes:

The exact opposite of 'Poindextrose', the whiny odor of keyboard warriors.