I Forge Iron

Should I get rid of my old Lincoln welder?

rdennett

I have a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 arc welder purchased from HD in the late '90s.  A couple of years ago, I picked up an Everlast 161st, which I now use for the small amount of welding that I do.  I haven't gotten around to picking of an Argon bottle for mild steel TIG welding and was thinking of selling my Lincoln to pay for it.  Any special reason to keep the old Lincoln?  While it's a beast and unlikely to wear out, I don't use it much, don't have a cart for it and it's basically taking up space.  As mentioned, I only do a small amount of welding to make shop tools (I have yet to go through 10lbs of rod).  Is there any particular capability I would miss if I got rid of it?  How much should I ask for it if I did?

Basically, I believe that if you have a tool that you are not using and can turn it into cash to acquire a new tool that you will use the answer is obvious.  

I can't help you on the technical side of welders or fair market value but I would suggest that you won't get more than 50% of the new price for a machine that is nearly a quarter century old, even if it has been little used.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The Lincoln AC/DC models (and AC ones) are built like tanks and hardly ever "grow old".  They are heavy and cumbersome, pull a lot of power, but are great choices as a starter welder for a newbie welder since used ones in good condition can be bought for a couple of hundred $.  The AC only welders are not in so much demand and can be had used for anywhere from $50 to $150 at yard and garage sales.  The AC only models are a bit more restrictive on the types of electrodes that can be used efficiently, namely the DC electrodes.  Agreed that the newer multi-purpose inverter welders may be more versatile, but for starters, the old Lincolns can't be beat.  If your Lincoln AC/DC is in good shape, I would ask $200 and see what happens.

18 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Basically, I believe that if you have a tool that you are not using and can turn it into cash to acquire a new tool that you will use the answer is obvious. 

Completely agree. For those with unlimited space and unlimited budget, unlimited acquisition is just fine. If you're not using it, it's basically worthless. Better to turn it into cash and free up some space.

I have a old  tombstone welder I would like to retire but will never sell.  I've had it for at least 20 years and it looked old when I bought it.  I put 20' cables on it and have an extension cord for welding outside the shop, kind of handy.  I also can run it off my generator.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

As long as you have stick capability you are fine, but...

I learned the hard way when I sold a Lincoln to buy a Mig thinking I was set...

Found out real quickly I had messed up as the Stick Welder can use stick for Cast Iron, Steel, Stainless, ect.

The Mig was great for thin to medium steel, but...

Found a deal on a Miller 250 and grabbed it!

Lesson learned!

2.jpg