• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Caotropheus, I think Frosty is on the right track: I concur that is likely out of a crusher/shredder/hammer mill. We recently installed a couple new hammer mills in the Shred area at my plant (aluminum recycling). Your chunk of mystery metal looks like the "anvils" on the "breaking" side of my Shredders. In this case, "anvil" refers to a large casting that is static during operation, usually directly in the line of fire between the material fed into the Shredder and the hammers on a spinning rotor (they are wear items). The manufacturer of our Shredders told me that the wear plates and anvils in my hammer mills are made from a manganese alloy, but they did not specify the composition. I have also seen AR400 plate used in this role.

Also, I met a man last night who took all the money I had in my wallet...and he has a lot more stuff I plan to get from him. Apparently he is moving back up north and is downsizing. I only regret not knowing he was in my area. I could have learned a lot.

Aug14_purchase.jpg

The crosspeen is a William Bastas, reportedly made back in the early 90's. I was unfamiliar with Bill's work until I started researching the hammer. I feel honored to be the current steward.

crosspeen_billBastos_small.jpg

Scott, the titles are as follows:

Sheet Metal Workers' Manual by L. Broemel, 1st Printing, 1921
Sheet Metal Workers' Manual by L. Broemel, 3rd? Printing, 1942
Art of Coppersmithing by John Fuller, Sr.
Mathematics for the Sheet Metal Worker by Clayton Buell
Copper Work by Augustus Rose
Builders' Hardware by I.C.S. Staff
How to Make Mission Style Lamps and Shades, published by Popular Mechanics, a reproduction of a work by John D. Adams
New Departure Hand Book, Vol. II: Tables - Formulae, Bearing Principles, Load Computation, Bearing Installation for the use of Engineers and Machine Designers

1Had several items follow me home this week, I was helping clear out the shop at the Rock River' Thresher Park and found myself getting a post drill, a welding table, some old wagon parts, and a huge chunk of weight iron that came out of Milwaukee Harbor. Then a nice little rolling cart followed me home from work. 

20230829_172945.jpg

20230829_172904.jpg

19801.jpeg

Went to the fleamarket with my brother today. Picked up some hammers and small wrenches, auger bits, a couple larger auger bits, a big wide jaw pair of tongs that need some love and a pretty large pipe wrench. Largest I've seen.  The pipe wrench hat $25. On it. I was just looking at it thinking i might offer them $20 but also debating if I really needed it. Well they saw me looking at it and said you can have it for $10. There was no debate at that point lol. As it sits it is 45" long. For now it will just get cleaned up, painted and added to my big tool collection. 

20230903_130904.thumb.jpg.1a6582cc3ea9fdf4770ff8c71b8a1cae.jpg

Oh, and also picked up a jack sparrow pirate hat cheap and a taxidermy bullfrog purse. Because who wouldn't need a taxidermy bullfrog to put stuff in?  The lady said she took it to a wedding and had it sitting on the table with her lol. (Same couple that sold me the big pipe wrench.)