I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Took the girls to the fleamarket sunday. While they got to mostly ridein the wagon most of the time, I had to pull it. Here are my finds. The girls got some toys tho they took an interest in some of the rusty junk that dad likes. $18 spent on the toys and pictured cost $8. And for most of the rusty old tools I gave the guy an extra dollar just because. He only asked $2. The skillet which is a lodge was $3. And the two little solid metal cans were $1. each. 

20230612_222709.thumb.jpg.d7a2a1e98a60452a674dcbf9b42e8cb6.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fruitfull day at the fleamarket, Aric.  I sometimes throw in a few extra $ as well, just because.  I got a good deal on a scale recently and the ladies junk shop will be getting my business in the future.     It depends on who your dealing with.  I've always liked the word lagniappe.  It goes both ways and it creates good will.

The guy was generous with his offer. Least an extra buck was in order lol. Said he was sick of loading up the stuff. Thats my kinda deal. Give me your rusty, give me your burden, I will lift it so you dont have to again. 

The drill augers screamed jellyfish tentacles so i was more than happy. 

Another stack of rasps from my local farrier. I've been doing a series of knives and rasp hawks with them. 

And yes, I always confirm they are good steel, since many are case-hardened. But the two farriers I get them from always buy high end rasps, usually Heller blue and green tang. I know some have said that they have come across case hardened Hellers, but every one I have gotten from my sources has tested out very good. They run $30+ each for the farrier, versus less expensive for the case-hardened. 

My test, which I do on every rasp before I use it (unless it is from the same lot number as a previously tested one) is to cut off the tang, heat it to orange, quench in water, put in a vise and whack it with a hammer (using eye pro). If they snap cleanly they are good to go. 

For knives I make from them I had been using Parks AAA, but have moved to Parks 50 for slightly better hardening. 

rasps.jpg

Knowing those are worn out and to be used for knife stock still doesn't prevent the cringe from running down my spine at seeing files stacked together.  I'm not  faulting you for it but it still makes me cringe. 

Nothing ruins good files like stacking them so they can bang and rub on each other. One of the farriers I get them from tosses old ones in a bucket and gives me the same cringe reaction every time I bum a couple. He knows and it gives him a chuckle. A cringe is a small price for good steel eh? ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Couple items follow me home from work:

BE113A49-25E9-431F-88C8-D0F08AF38D48.thumb.jpeg.8ab6822780aaaf2e6da14ce83e4ec66f.jpeg

A couple shafts, a few bearings, a piece of 1/4” plate, and a ball screw. (Ball screw was 12’ long before we chopped it up to aid in transporting.)

Keep it fun,

David

Not sure yet… I’ve got a bit of a collection going on at this point. I’ve got on cut up that I’m planning on using the outer race as a bead swage, but it’s something I haven’t gotten around to yet.

They’re 52100 so the races will make good blades, but I really don’t make a whole lot of knives. Time will tell.

The ball screw is also 52100. At least one piece will go to iron-in-hat at one of our hammer-ins. I’ve go a plan for a small piece of it (if it pans, out I’ll share it and the story when it’s done). The rest will probably end up at tools of some sort eventually.

Keep it fun,

David

The industrial surplus place often has ball  screws, and I’ve often toyed with ideas for using one in a vise or a fly press. Alas, they don’t have enough friction for the former and it would be hard to build a sufficiently rigid frame to use them for the latter.