• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got a laboratory oven today from up at the John brown university in Siloam, a friend of mine picked it up an brought it to me!

it’s got a temperature controller on the bottom and a thermometer on top, 

the walls are pretty thick I think some kinda ceramic? 

anyways it works an it only cost $60 bucks, it runs on 115v and has a small footprint

they said they think it goes up to 450 F but I don’t have a manual so I dunno for sure, I’ve plugged it in an turned it to the highest setting so I’ll know shortly

I thought it might come in handy as a tempering oven for an adze or tomahawk?

I dunno if it will work for that or not but i figured for the price it was worth trying!

Worst case scenario, if it won’t work for a tempering oven then I got a fancy oven to dry out welding flux and keep welding rods in!:P

I was too slow they had another one that could go over 1000 F for $160 but it done sold, 

2CF49C2E-19F4-4330-B08B-27347910228A.jpeg

F27CFA99-C1DA-4956-9F00-A8C1D9212872.jpeg

35A89936-9A90-47E1-9AB3-A7A38B5ACA05.jpeg

0C5FFE95-5CB7-4D96-A011-0745E7AFDDE3.jpeg

26F1513A-240C-4929-9468-5F4E2E694617.jpeg

B98DAD9F-E73D-457D-9B72-31716D386354.jpeg

103A9AE5-871F-4C55-BF3F-A5625E3BE7C4.jpeg

27A08029-4D09-44E0-8530-522437EB42DE.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up! 

i Inquired what it was used for and they said it was used for heating up samples in the engineering department where they work with metals on cnc stuff,

so I don’t think it had many dangerous chemicals in it, 

but just to be on the safe side how would you recommend cleaning it? I wouldn’t want to cause some explosive reaction by spraying the wrong cleaner on it! 

The part that looks like it needs cleaning the most is the kiln shelf. I would pull it out and start by scraping lightly to see if it will come clean or get small samples. Of course wear nitrile gloves and a respirator at the least.

If you can get a small sample, try an alkaline cleaner like baking soda on the sample. If that doesn't affect it, try acidic like cleaning vinegar. Might also look into a replacement shelf.

We use water and soap for all cleaning, and then other stuff if needed but that's only to prep it for new analysis. Just stay away from stuff like bleach and ammonia you indeed never know what can react. Seeing it was used for metals I wouldn't worry to much. And since it's an oven I doubt any volatiles will be in there. 

~Jobtiel

Ummm Hmmm, I've folded two slices of last night's pizza closed an grilled them. When I didn't feel like cold left over pizza that is. I LIKE cold left over pizza. Mmmmmmm. However a grilled pizza sandwich is pretty tasty too.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're welcome. :) I'm just glad it got there in time. Are you and Ash getting any peace? I almost got him one last summer instead of the story book but your story of the Christmas train visit convinced me the whistle was a better choice than the electronic drum set.

Maybe next Christmas.

Frosty The Lucky.

I received two books I have been wanting for several years and a nice custom made touchmark to replace my homemade one, that is getting worn out and not doing a good job.

I have to give thanks to IFI member Stampman, and his crew, on the help they provided me with ordering my touchmark. I had looked on his website, but I had a few questions so I sent him a PM one morning. Less than an hour later a very nice lady called and we discussed what I wanted and I sent her a picture of my homemade one. in less than 4 hours after sending my PM to Stampman I had approved the proof of my stamp and was waiting for it's shipment, which was intercepted by my wife and delivered Sunday. If you are considering ordering a touchmark I recommend contacting Stampman.

Books.thumb.jpg.d3c488c2038ea03f22d1399a5a0e0767.jpg

TouchmarkIMG_1413.thumb.jpg.1c0fac866959a2b018c7158c7e99dd3b.jpg