• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be working those angles Thomas, Deb is on a quest to meet spinners and such, she already has Wool Gathering in her sights. Meeting up with steel wool couples will be sweet win wins!

Scott: that reminds me of the opening audio of WKRP in Cincinnati, "Genuine plastic, accept no substitutions!" 

Frosty The Lucky.

22 hours ago, JHCC said:

Oh, but it gets better.

Oh, so now you’re going to rub it in?

Great food, I would love to have a place like that in my area to go to, but it would probably cause a lot of problems at the house, so I’ll just have to look at your pictures and wish 

Das, great finds

Got going later than I wanted to the fleamarket today. I'm sure I missed some deals. I love dollar tables. 

Big straight pein sledge was $5. 

My buddy works on small engines so I picked up the flywheel holder for him. The rest was a dollar or less each. 

Then i heard someone saying everything is free so now I have a large cloths hamper and a box to go through mixed with toys, tools, pans and other misc. stuff. I didn't like carrying it clear across the fleamarket to the car but hey it was free. 

20220731_135758.thumb.jpg.9f577e54404cc7655bd3e2d95925250f.jpg

20220731_141121.thumb.jpg.ac93c0af4e865bcb3ec4339c096d9868.jpg

20220731_141106.thumb.jpg.c16b6a3bdaeb127447529fe77f8a3317.jpg

Speaking of history. Today 07/31/22 is George Jetson's birthday. The show premiered today in 1962 and George mentioned he was 40, so today would be George Jetson's 100th birthday. 

Amazing what you learn watching the news eh? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

A few months ago I bought a 2 shelves full of items from a local museum auction for $25 each.  It was online and some stuff was hard to identify with the pics provided.   There was this one set of items I thought looked cool and bought the whole shelf just to see what it was.  It's a pipe wrench.  I have never seen anything like it.  

20220519_185235.jpg

Those are a type of what we called "pipe tongs," they won't shift like a Stilson type pipe wrench. We used them to break casing joints that didn't want to unscrew, back it laying on the ground in a 48" pipe tong and use another 48" pipe tong with a 6' cheater and two 200lb. guys jumping on it to break the lock. 

If it was an unbound joint we used a pipe wrench and cheater while hanging in the tower but if that didn't work we laid it on the ground and used the tongs. Jumping on a Stilson type pipe wrench resulted in too many bruises and sprains when the jaws turned and slipped.

I haven't used one of the ones in the picture but I have a couple somewhere in the tool resource pile.

Frosty The Lucky.

Got a guillotine and a jig for S Hooks off Esty, very nice construction and got here a week early, then my shipment of grinder belts came in.  My oldest is supposed to be here with her boyfriend today and I've been trying to clean up so that it doesn't look like I've been neglecting the house.  I don't dare take the stuff out to the shop.   I'll end up starting up stuff out there instead of cleaning my kitchen. 

1659383549344498031831419447543.jpg

Scrapyard run today with a couple of other smiths, total out was a bit over 200#. My share was 56#; including: an implement wheel (other one was snagged by my buddy for a tong rack), old thick rasp, piece of angle iron to make my 25# LG motor mount from, Al tray to soak hammer heads in BLO, some dome headed bolts for dishing with, small bearing race---52100, homemade dent puller---heavy wall pipe for a bending jig, and lastly a 12" Lodge cast iron skillet in excellent condition; now to get it cleaned and re-seasoned before Quad-State, it will fit on the propane stove perfectly and I expect a bit of bacon and a mess of eggs, not to mention pancakes will get cooked with it!  Cost of my share was US$11

KIMG0195.thumb.JPG.3bc8c28dfe0bb78d9f262cfb467c28d7.JPG

Yes, I've got a number up on the shop wall as I keep finding more than we use in the kitchen.  We tend to use the 100 year old cast iron as they are lighter than the modern ones.  This Lodge one will probably end up going with a chuckwagon cook set later this year unless someone talks me out of it at Quad-State Sunday after breakfast...

The cast iron bean pots and dutch ovens are on the shelves but the wall currently has 12 pieces, not counting the latest.  The latest I spotted today in a scrapped washing machine---I like to go through stuff folks have scrapped to see what goodies are hidden away,

KIMG0196.thumb.JPG.8289b18123116293b6ade690459a6a32.JPGKIMG0197.thumb.JPG.70792cab409243c540ac744fa398a1dd.JPG

I picked up a beautiful old cast iron skillet at a yard sale some years back for five bucks. It was in horrible shape, so I gave it a wire-wheeling to remove the crud prior to re-seasoning. At literally the very last second, it slipped out of the vise and crashed to the floor, shattering into half a dozen pieces. Sic friatur crustum dulce.