• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would feel pretty bad if you got hurt trying to untangle it from that mess.  Plus, I plan on going to Quad State this year, but I planned on going last year, my plans tend to go flooyey in my face.  I'd hate to have you stuck with that roll on your hands.  Tempting to say yes!  Pretty Rusty!  :)

On 3/3/2022 at 11:23 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Funny I picked up 4 breakers at the ReStore today, I'm going to run a 220 VAC, 10 AWG line to run my Bader grinder. 

I actually used to work for a nonprofit that ran, amoung other programs, one of the largest and oldest materials reuse stores on the Wes Coast. Think your typical ReStore times 4 or 5. I used to bring home stuff like palettes and pallets of cinder blocks, roofing tiles, bulk nuts and bolts, floor tiles for the house, random old tools like hammer heads, a little old bench grinder, and old neck-sizing only reloading press, a hand crank grinding wheel... So much cool stuff/junk. 

Never got any electric supplies, though I'm sure we carried them. I'm in no way qualified to run wiring or install breakers. I'm just barely qualifies to do things like wire on new plugs on cords or change jumpers in a VFD box with very clear instructions. I did get the 27D wired up to 110v at 1.5 HP and found that my unit has the jumpers for GFCI and sensitive GFCI, so I can run it now before getting the 220 circuit wired up. That makes me happy.

My buddy, Ofaye (some of you met him at last year's Quad State) just gave me a sword blade that he found in the trash. I can't find any maker's marks or stamps, but it doesn't seem to be a decorative or ceremonial sword. It has a decent edge and heat treat seems good. I can bend it and it snaps back to original shape. It had a shiny plating but has rust spots. Seems to be just surface rust. The only mark I can find is a small area that seemed to be marked with a vibrating etcher. Might be "Jim" but I can't really make it out. Any experts know what this is?Swordfull.jpg.7cd4a8050e975df83cb522243f566f14.jpg

SwordTang3.jpg

John - I'd just hit it with a wire wheel in the areas I thought I might find something. 

Les - I expect to be there, Ofaye too. There are two things that might stop me. I was offered a surface grinder - 2HP - weighs 1225 pounds, from a machine shop that is remodeling. I'm waiting on word for when I can pick it up. If it's Saturday, it will have priority even though I'm already registered. The other thing is my ankle injury from falling off a roof after Katrina. Later this month they are taking the hardware out, but its been bothering lately. I'm asking them for the plate they remove. I figure it would make a good guard on my next knife.

SwordDetail.jpg

What are the dimensions of the blade?  It doesn't look like any of the users, (military) that I am familiar with.  Also how is the tang terminated?  A flat center on a double edged blade is often a sign of a recent or ceremonial blade---even the Patton Cavalry sabre has a fuller.   

PB. there are a couple sword fora around where you could post a query and pics.  I was able to identify a Sudanese blade I have which is engraved with a double headed eagle as a probable Napoleonic Austrian hussar sword blade that was exported to Africa in the 19th century by posting pics and a description on a sword forum.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Overall L-39”. Blade 29” to Ricasso. 3” ricasso . Tapered tang 6 1/4”. Threaded end 3/4”. Width 1 3/8” at ricasso. 3/16” thick at ricasso that tapers to 1/8” for most of blade.

B52DA211-B8EB-4BA3-B3A0-8A52090E8578.jpeg

0C446271-27ED-4B49-A300-49375DCB6688.jpeg

6E3AA93E-7E90-40D6-932B-9F3DF65B538C.jpeg

George - Will do, but IFI has always got me answers before! Even to questions I never (but should have) asked. <grin>

Could be. I'm still puzzled by no makers marks, country of origin stamps or anything. After watching that guy at Quad State make props for movies I wonder if it may be one of those. They would need well tempered blades to flex for the camera, but I doubt they would sharpen and nickel plate them. I'm guessing its nickel. Chrome has a tendency to flake. This kind of smears when hit with wire wheel or 400 grit polish wheel (one of the few things worth buying at Harbor Freight).