Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. Bollards is what they were lol. 

If it is wrought and I get it for just regular scrap price would I be able to sell it for some kind of profit? I don’t really have any interest in forging wrought myself and even if I did that chain is way too big for my set up. 

Also how do sparks from wrought compare to mild steel?

Thomas they had a whole bunch of those too. Also huge. I thought I got pictures of all that stuff but I guess I was a bit preoccupied with everything I was seeing lol. 

Thanks JHCC.

I usually only get to forge on the weekends so Friday nights I literally have trouble getting to sleep bc I can’t wait to get up and get the forge going - kind of like a little kid the night before Christmas lol. I was just tinkering in the garage though looking at this bar of h13 I got. Probably going to try something with it tomorrow but once I set it  down next to my little mild steel collection I realized it’s still almost perfectly “chrome” practically no oxidation or rust at all. I forge outside so I don’t think it would matter anyway but I was just curious does this stuff give off any kind of nasty fumes when forging? Like when you weld something that’s chrome plated it gives off some toxic stuff. I know h13 isn’t chrome plated but just saying

Bollards are extremely unlikely to be made from wrought iron; though the sparks for WI and CI can be similar.  Even if it were made from WI, cutting it down in usable size chunks would take a whole lot of time and  consumables.  I think you would be in the negative profit zone quick---there is not really that large a market for WI.

My wood shop finally followed me home today.   It's been up at the family cabin since my Dad passed and left it to me.   Only thing he left to a specific person in his will.   I finally had space for both table saws, (one was mine), drill press, 14 inch band saw,  various handheld power tools,  a plethora of wrenches and sockets, 2 router tables, enough pipe clamps to come a camel, and other various odds and ends.   Kinda makes it a bigger priority to get a wall up between the smithy and the woods working areas now.  Also shelving and a few work benches are a must.   Really glad the price of wood has come down. 

IMG_20211120_173926_571.jpg

Delivery from an online order. I’m always surprised how sharp they leave hammers. Need a lot of dressing. This is going to be my go to hammer though. Are these plastic rubbery things at the bottom and under the head supposed to stay on? 
Trying out one of these Kevlar gloves. I’ve heard good things. And I got some some brass pin stock. 
Also received the 3 inch tubing I’ll use to hold the dies for the log splitter forge press which is on the way also. Excited. 

02F8DA98-8FD9-4CA3-A0E7-EE78C19E44DB.jpeg

Pat: Dress your hammer gradually, don't try to make it "right" to start with, it will take you time and use to learn what YOU need. Begin with rounding the edges slightly so they don't make sharp dents if you strike with the hammer a little out of parallel with the work or anvil face. Same for the pein, round the ends of the pein so it doesn't leave sharp dents.

Use it for a while and adjust as necessary. 

For myself I like the flat face to have a SLIGHT crown and the pein to be slightly curved like an axe edge but much more shallow.

Nice hammer, use it in good health.

Frosty The Lucky.

Actually came in a couple of days ago, but who’s counting. 

Two pairs of pickup tongs from on line, 1”  and 1 1/2”. They were packaged along with some fire starting material at no extra charge. The 1” seems to be good. The 1 1/2”  jaw tips look to be a little off. Haven’t been able to use them yet, but they are lightweight and springy. Shipping was a little slow, but that is outside of their control. What is in their control is response to emails. They did not respond to the three I sent.

45D60B26-AD40-4526-B341-7610C4E4B7FB.jpeg

CB617E7F-3833-4A7D-965A-6BBB28D51D0C.jpeg