• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure what these were originally (light fixtures?), but I think there’s enough sheet metal in them to cobble together side panels on a spark catcher for the torch cutting table I made the other day. One man’s trash….

176D9F10-51F8-4CA3-BD96-097DCE3EA42E.jpeg

Yes, those are reflectors for 4" fluorescent lights, the tube contact / carriers extended around the ends in the little gap. The white knobs were either key type locks or screws. I'll bet the recycling centers and dumps are filling up with these and the rest of the fixtures.

I saved my old reflectors a newer style in hopes of adapting them to LED strips. I didn't want to spend the extra money to buy the adapters to use LED strips in the old fixtures.

Frosty The Lucky.

Studs are on the fixture casing holding the ballasts, wirings, etc. That lets you screw the fixture to the ceiling and wire it to a junction box the cover it with the reflector. I've seen male screws and key hole latches from different makers. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I haven't thrown any of my old fixtures away yet but I don't have too many in the house to start with. The one built into the ceiling in the kitchen is going to be a hassle regardless. The shop is too cold in winter for fluorescents so there aren't any. The LED strips are great I just need reflectors, I'm thinking of buying white rain gutter, it's cheap, UCH cheaper than LED reflectors.

Your old reflectors should come in handy John. I think welding and torch spatter might really stick to the enamel paint, though anti-spatter spray might do the trick.

Frosty The Lucky.

Great Stuff and anti-spatter spray are different products and I wouldn't recommend eating either of them. In fact, I think both cans have the number for poison control on them. 

Giving either one its own food group might be sending mixed messages. 

Thank you BillyBones!
Thomas do you have any pictures of yours I’ve never seen any other like this until now?                          Does anybody have any clues to who may have made these? Or were they hand made? I’ve been dragging home vises of all sizes, shapes and types for years but I’ve never seen anything like a mini post vise before. this one will hang on the wall in my shop with all the other rusty treasures that I’ve accumulated, but I’d still like to know any info about it if anyone knows anything.