I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I agree, finding quality at give away price allows you to build a great set of tools at an affordable price. 

On 11/22/2019 at 6:20 PM, Old Crew said:

1947 shorthood

Old Crew, forgot to add that I made a “few “ dollars on jobs when “electrictions” asked to use the generator to run their tools (this was before battery operated tools for the younger folks on here) and I informed them they had to have DC tools to use it. Same response every time, “they don’t make a 110 v DC generator!” I walked away with money every time after the smart ones tested it or the others burned their tools up proving me wrong. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got them forks today. These things are heavy! I can’t even lift one off the ground. The head honcho told me they were scrapping a lift and these were not needed. They are practically new. Still had a sticker. They cost me a dozen doughnuts. And the bandsaw I bought from local online for $40 with hopes to convert it to a metal cutting saw. I may lost out on that one. It is classic craftsman. 

502320EB-D81E-4AD4-93E5-F46AC84FB505.jpeg

5F2C41DF-882E-4E50-9265-90FF30D24032.jpeg

55F6FAAF-FE58-482B-9647-1B9D8DBA6E0B.jpeg

D28C367D-32AD-4313-8910-2E0210DBF6CA.jpeg

E93539CF-9596-4E38-BBCD-8F5BBB0256E3.jpeg

That's going to make a great anvil. Mine is roughly 4 x 4 1/2 so you will have more area. You can even leave the guides on the backs and weld the front faces together, if you decide to weld them. There is actually plenty of face on just one. I still say an angle grinder with cutoff blades is going to be the best way to cut them.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Those forks have anvil written all over them. Thomas Powers has a link for making a good one out of them. I don't think you will have much success converting the bandsaw to metal cutting, others have tried and it didn't work very well. Still a good deal on it and a wood cutting bandsaw is an asset in any shop so ya done good.

4 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

if you decide to weld them.

No welding experience. A single standing on end will work wonderfully for awhile I'm sure.

The other...???...Heck, maybe I'll just make two, or four!

2 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

so ya done good.

Thanks IFC. I figured it would be handy. I also purchased a leather patcher last year for my Love(also a maker extraordinaire) since metal is accented so well with wood and leather.

34 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

that other fork! 

Thank you Thomas, this is where I first saw the idea. I have been on the hunt since. I applied the TPAAAT to almost everyone including calling equipment companies and it finally paid off!

Thank you good Sir.

One of the big issues is convincing a shop that you don't intend to reuse a tine for load bearing.  I'd ask if they could cut it off before you got it and specify where.  (Monolithic biavicide)

Also going in person with a picture of what you are trying to do can help rather than asking over a phone.   

I'm embarrassed but the mate to Marco's tine is still in my possibles pile---I even moved it 1500 miles...

This followed me home today. A twin to my TIG welder back home. They are great welders, and very smooth. No radiator, and the gas solenoid stopped working, but for $100 I was not going to complain. Said he has a torch somewhere, and would let me know when he finds it. I paid $140 at an auction for the other one and it had a radiator, but no torch or foot control. The torch was around $125, and the foot control was $160. 

These are big machines , 1,000# and 350A with a 100% duty cycle. If you get a chance to buy one, do not pass it up. Very user friendly.

linde.jpg

I made out like a bandit at our club Christmas party today. The flatter weighs 9 lbs., and I watched the guy make it at our last meeting.  The tongs were made by a farrier, and he threw in a rasp as part of the package.  Heckuva deal all the way around!

Flatter Tongs Rasp.JPG

Stopped by a local yard sale yesterday. Picked up a box of old wrenches and other tools. Some of the wrenches are plated or not suitable for forging, they will go into the tool box, never have too many open end wrenches:). About 25 pounds all together for $5.00 U.S., didn't even haggle.

100_2074.thumb.JPG.61a4ab73f036fa681c81e2f4b3ba3e43.JPG

15 hours ago, 671jungle said:

The STANLEY brand

Not actually Stanley Tool Co.

I just watched a documentary on Chinese counterfeit products being sold in the U.S. Namely make-up products which are not regulated and contain toxic ingredients.

Anywho being someone who grew up in Guam, counterfeit products are everywhere.

Something to be said for an anvil you can use as a table to eat lunch off of...However I understand having the right anvil for the sort of work you do.  I tend to have a 91# anvil right by my 469# anvil just to make use of the very thin heel on the small one and doing the heavy hammering on the large one.