• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And can't access any water or make a brine (salt water)?  Must be a dry county...

Now as to large section steel found near a truck place and Machine shop I'd check against 4140 and perhaps 5160 samples.

Most likely to be hammer making material and not blade material. Possibly mild; but I would doubt it for the hex end stock.

1 minute ago, ThomasPowers said:

And can't access any water or make a brine (salt water)?  Must be a dry county...

Still doing my homework. Brine sounds interesting. I have not quenched anything other than fooling around when I first started. Now that I have had some practice with the hammer, and general determining what scrap WAS used for, I feel it is time to start making useful things and testing them. As far as "dry" Utah got some weird booze laws. The grocery now sells 5% as of a couple weeks ago. It used to be 3.2%. Anything more must be purchased at the State Liquor Store (DABC). The limited license bar and restaurant industry consistently gets popped for meticulous violations.

That does look to be the end of a torsion bar. When i first joined the Army i watched a video of a tank flying threw a field guns a blazing jumping hills. The part they did not show was when the tank landed off that hill the crew had to get out and replace all the broken torsion bars. 

Radish juice? I dont think i want to know what worm water is. 

There is a way to get a perfectly hardened and tempered blade from any steel. But it involves 2 goats, a pint of whiskey, and hiking up a mountain side for the egg of a giant condor. 

1 hour ago, 671jungle said:

Still doing my homework

Start with air, after it's cool see if it skates a file. If it does clamp it in the vise cover with a rag and give it a whack with a hammer to break it. Examine for excessive grain growth. Then repeat the process with warm oil and finally brine. I don't have any pictures of the difference in grain sizes to post to show you what good looks like but I bet if you check the HT section you'll find some and I know you'll find better instructions. 

Pnut

If it skates a file after air hardening or oil quenching there's a good possibility it will crack during a brine quench.

Edited by pnut

2 minutes ago, pnut said:

Start with air

simple enough determining process. Thanks Pnut, this is a helpful base line. 

25 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

That does look to be the end of a torsion bar.

Thanks Billy. Some energy taken to snap those babies!

worm farm bins leach a viscous blackish liquid that is used in the garden. Might be a "perfect" quench all.

I have not heard the term "hogshead" in years. Used to have a notebook with a chart of different and unusual measurements on its front inside hardcover. I remember hogshead being on that list.

1 hour ago, 671jungle said:

worm farm bins leach a viscous blackish liquid that is used in the garden. Might be a "perfect" quench all.

That viscous black liquid is humic/fulvic acids. Not sure on its quenchant qualities, but may be an option to get contrast for PWS(pattern welded steel). That stuff will stain your hands for a week

CGL,

Happy Birthday:D

cant wait till I upgrade to a tank that size. I’m still using a couple of 40# tanks that came from my old RV. Still hoping I can get my propane supplier to hook the forge to the big 250# tank that was for the single wife we don’t use. 

The old lady went and did her taxes the other day, she does some kind of extension thing so she does not have to file till Oct. then gets her return for Christmas. I been talking about needing a new welder since mine quit working. It was just a cheapy HF wire feed so i was not real concerned. But anywho, this was sitting on the table when i got home. An early Christmas present she said.

20191119_173355.thumb.jpg.ea1ce1d6cd5f6fdac24e45d2d571279c.jpg

Yeah its not a top of the line but it will most likely do me for a while and seeing as to how it was a gift from the old lady i am happy with it. She also managed to get 7018 rods just becuase they were the ones closest to the welder when she was getting it. Now to make my guillotine tool...and more tongs.