• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got these to day from my local supplier.

20190207_162309.thumb.jpg.beb8a53ba211223454dfa9f8570aa544.jpg

3, 5/16" square bare unknown tool steel. 1, 1 1/2" x 1/2 flat bar, O-1, and 1, 1" round bar and the 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 square both W-2. The numbers on the bars are weight #4 each. All for $10. That 1 1/2" square looks like maybe a new hammer in the future. 

I did use a piece of the 1 1/2 x 1/2" flat to make my first hardy tool. Just a hot cut, but it is my first i made.

20190207_193858.jpg

Hasn't yet followed me home but will be on pay day next week.

While at the local hardware store buying nails today I noticed a bucket next to the chain cutter with the broken links of chain. Always on the hunt for steel to practice on I asked what they did with the broken links and then (and i think this was the most important part) explained why i was asking. After some conversation was offered about $500 in mild steel of various thicknesses and cross sections that had rusted very slightly prior to arriving in the store for $100. All told I counted over 50 4ft lengths of flat, round, angle, tube, and box steel. 

The lesson being that sometimes just talking about smithing will open up opportunities you would have never had. 

That's pretty steep for stock they can't sell. Let's see 200' = 10ea. 20' sticks of low quality "mild" steel in not so handy short lengths. $10/stick? for too short for building with shapes. Flats and rnd. good at the anvil and might get some use from angle, okay. The rest? You'd be paying them to save them a dump run. The angle and "structural" shapes only look like structural steel, it's home handyman, hobby, bottom  of the barrel (quality wise) steel.

I'd counter offer $25 to take it off their hands if they tossed in the chain links and other trimmings.

It costs hardware, etc. stores, especially Big boxes, many times more balancing the accounts if they try to collect scrap prices. That means they have to pay an employee to haul it to the scrap yard and dump it. Pay the accountants AND deal with tax on received $. OR there's a guy who collects their scrap and worries about his/er own paper work.

I get things like steel thread protectors from the local plumbing, HVAC service and supply for the asking. I use them rather than a flare on my burners and needed 5, I came home with a bucket I could barely carry. Plus a couple buckets of nubs of various Dia. iron pipe to short to make nipples. I used to have free rein at the state DOT maintenance shop's scrap bin. Gvt agencies have a worse nightmare accounting for $ received anywhere unofficial. 

Were I you, I'd take my $100 and hit a steel supplier for sizes I will most likely use. At the anvil, 1/2" rnd. is the same as 3/8" sq. A stick, 20' of either runs $21. Alaska price. 1/2" sq. runs $33. last I bought. 3/16" x 3/4" angle IIRC about $25 a stick. 

Buy whole sticks, asking to cut for transport at the counter and they have to charge per cut. The guys in the yard will whack it all in half gratis. I've never been to a steel yard that the yard dogs wouldn't cut for transport. They're also pretty easy about letting a person grab drops so long as you don't get greedy. A box of doughnuts and they'll load your truck till the srings bottom out.

Hmmmm? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Once again thank you for the advice. Thought it might be a bit on the steep side. Plus I had the local mechanic, who I have spoke with a few times during the forge build, drop off two large truck leaf springs to me this am. Said he was In the neighborhood and thought I might like them.

Event,

I rebuild tranny's for a living. We have several scrap barrels in the shop. One is full of clutches and steels, while the other contain parts not going into a trans or aluminum. Many transmission shops i have worked in just give the scrap to the "scrap man". A guy that comes about once a week to pick it up. It is more economical for us to have him just get it out of our way. (we do take the aluminum, brass and copper ourselves) But the "other than trans" barrels will contain axles, coil and leaf springs, sway bar links, ball joints, tie rods, tie rod ends, brake drums and rotors, bearings and races of various sizes, etc., etc., etc. So get your self down to the local AAMCO and ask what they do with their scrap. Keep in mind though that some shops do return it to the scrap yard themselves. So you may have to go to more than one, and even the ones that do may not mind you rummaging through the scrap for a few pieces. Especially if you let them know what you do and maybe gift them a bottle opener or something you make from the scrap. 

I always ask my steel dealer if they have any steel that is "damaged", short, rusty, etc.  I once went home with 90' of 1/4" cold rolled sq stock for the cost of 36' feet of it and they were very happy indeed to clean out their stock bin for it!  (I always bought hot rolled 1/4" sq stock as it was cheaper; but they stopped handling it anywhere local down here.)

Hello all, newbie here and this is my first post. I've never even struck iron with a hammer but it's something I've been jonesing to do for a long, long time now and I've been patiently waiting for the right time to jump. Anyway I happen to ask a local antique mall owner friend of mine if he's seen any recently, said he had one coming up in an estate sale. So I went today and had some things 'follow me home'.

If anyone can tell me anything about this guy I'd appreciate it, I'm pretty sure it's a Fisher and pretty sure the year is 1888. It's in rough shape sure, but I talked them down to $75 for it.

ulqyUtw.jpg

4KmXrty.jpg
All of that for $119. Doesn't seem too bad! Got a vise, railroad chunk, some punches, an old saw and the anvil.

My son is probably more excited than I am, now to design a forge (JBOD probably) and obtain a good hammer, apron, safety equipment, tongs and a grinder :)

Edited by Mod30
resize photos

16 minutes ago, cmoreland said:

newbie here

Welcome to IFI... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

BTW... your little Fisher is in usable shape, just don't do any milling, welding or grinding on it. Hot steel hammered on it will shine up the face just fine.

After looking for way too long a post vice found me.

I was fixing a heater for a customer and we were talking about building things and he asks me if i have ever tried blacksmithing.

So we chat about that for a while and he shows me his shop. 

He has 5 of these. Different sizes, rusty, missing a spring etc...

Then he asks if i want the smaller one for what he paid. Of coarse i said yes for $75. 

4 1/2" jaws. Not sure of the make. I am going back to pick it up saturday.

We are going to make something. Not sure what but it should be fun. 

20190212_143048.jpg

Was out helping a friend and spotted some old steel in a building falling in next to his shop. After getting the story on the building and settling on terms I gathered several pieces and took back to my buddies shop to try to see if it'd be useful. As it turns out, it's all wrought iron, not the mild steel I thought it was. 

It's a shame really, seeing this building full of giant old heart pine and wrought pieces here and there just crumbling.  I made a deal to salvage some of it, but using the wrought is out of my league. Maybe I can find someone around the Mississippi or south east area with an extra post vice that'd  rather have some cool old metal to play with - because as hard as I've looked, one of those escapes me, but this hundred year old out of production iron fell right in my lap haha.

20190211_052448.jpg

20190207_014255_HDR.jpg