Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Bear Creek Iron Works said:

Found this big bad blower at a local wood working shop.

Bldsmth and Farmall seem to be right on track. You have what looks like one end of a flexible coupling on the shaft. The other two pieces of the coupling are missing. Those would have included a similar metal piece to go on the end of a driving shaft (such as a motor shaft or a jackshaft) and a rubber/elastomeric intermediate cross-shaped piece called a "spider." Flexible couplings can often tolerate slight shaft misalignment and reduce vibration and shock transmission. It's a pretty large blower, but potentially useful.

Al (Steamboat)

daswulf-----your kettlebell post triggered a flashback----coupla years ago i was taking a load to the re-cycler---i always ask if there is anything of interest headed to the smelter----blacksmith stuff/chain/dumbbells/etc-------turns out that among the pile of hex head chinese dumbbells------a pair of old 50 lb york round dumbells---the classics----got a bit of a deal----.25/lb------25 bucks for the pair-------turns out that the stamping in them confirmed they were "vintage"----and-----the arnold classic was in town -----posted on "whatsitlist"----and yes,confirms ---people collect anything------sold the pair for $175    !!!!

Yt12, Thats it, Kettlebell. Thats a great story and reminder that in hunting scrap or tools, Learn about things. You never know when you can find a deal and turn it around for a profit to fund other tools or stock. It pays to research and be resourceful. My friend that was with me told me weights easily go for $1.00lb at least. 

The last place I cleaned out had some vintage weights that were mine in the deal but as some things go, they disappeared after someone picked up a brush hog that was not part of my deal. They denied knowledge..... ah well. Win some lose some. 

This follows me home the last couple of days, brand new 1lbs French hammer I have to dress, and two 35lbs A16 graphite clay crucibles plus 60lbs oil sand.

Regarding the crucibles I bought them straight at the casting supply manufacturer in Germany (passing by during business trip) for only 55 bucks (each). If you buy them at a Belgium art supply they cost at least 150.  Before melting the first batch I preheat and conditioned them by slowly (and empty) orange red heat up and cool down in the furnace to avoid shattering because of inner tension of the fresh material.

Visited also one of the ‘Forge Tumulus benefactors’ to pick up another 120lbs bronze scrap (worn out centrifugal pump impellors) in exchange for the well-known (now patinated) ‘give a way’s’ and a crat of Belgium beer ;). So I can move on and make bigger (hollow) bronze sculptures.

DSC00831.JPG

DSC00835.JPG

DSC00832.JPG

Visited my son in Townsville at the weekend. He's always doing mechanical work on race cars and keeps likely-looking scrap aside for me. The bearing races I will cut for the balls, the selector shafts would make good punches/drifts and the gear cogs could be scrap owls The gearbox shafts would make great hammers, but that's a bit beyond my skill level. Might try some Damascus with the chains, although that gold plated one (cadmium?) looks a bit dodgy.

It's handy to be on good terms with a mechanic.

gear scrap.JPG

Ausfire, that gold chain, maybe a anvil hold down. I use a similiar chain from the pump drive of a 6t70 transmission. 

Any way hope everyone is doing good, been a while and i have been a busy little beaver. Have not been able to get much anvil time, been house hunting. So let me say that this is kind of backwards. Instaed of things following me home, i followed them home. So with out further ado, let me start bragging:

first little gem:

lightswitch.thumb.jpg.87e13ee49469d669b724e5c77be247d5.jpg

My light switches, many looked like this. You old guys remember these dont you?

doorknob.thumb.jpg.c01245d6bdce10cfcc92840d21f360dd.jpg

The interior door knobs with the old box style locks, again for you old guys.

barn.thumb.jpg.242a16ecb74214ebada8b67b63ac0b0a.jpg

32 x 32 barn.  And a small garage that will become a workshop, truck wont fit inside.

But most interesting to all here is what i found in the basement. The house was moved to its current location in 1900. It is actually much older. And what did we find in the coal chute? Well see for yourelf:

coal.thumb.jpg.6790a0460ee3cea39a0c2a99c8f4daa9.jpg

Yup, whole bunch of coal. This is just 1 pile in the corner it is scatter all over the floor. Once sifted of other debris i am guessing a good #100. Just kind of blew my mind that there was still, in 2018, coal in the coal chute. 

Anyway i thought yall may get a kick out of some of the old fixtures and who doesnt love a barn? But mostly the pile of coal still there. And now that i will not have to stand at an anvil in the blistering sun, or the frigid cold, i can get some more time on it. Which means i will be here more pestering yall more. 

Have a Happy Thanksgiving my friends. 

T. P.,   Frosty,  Mr. Richter et al.,

Tumulus is a word I thought I knew, but really did not know.

I have looked it up,  just now,  and it means, a barrow;  a mound of earth and/or stones often raised over a grave. (usually an ancient one),  a cairn etc.

It is a great find when I come across a word I thought I knew and did not. Such a word is worthy of learning. (for me that is).

I collect English words, it's highly recommended.

It is a cheap, very enjoyable hobby.

SLAG.

Every archaeologist I’ve heard use the word has pronounced it with a hard C. 

My old advisor/Greek professor in college liked to say, “My first job after grad school was working for Merriam-Webster, the dictionary people. One thing I learned: never trust the dictionary!”

And you trusted your Profs?   Of course my Economic Geology Professor did give me the most useful advice for working in the Oil Patch:

"Never turn your back on a roughneck with a hose!"  

It was of more use in my day to day work in the patch than anything my CompSci professors taught me.   Though a boss I once had used to say "There is no such thing as a transparent update!" and after working an extra 30 hours one week recently because of an update  mandated against my protests I feel he was right.

I always rely on the OED myself; and you can look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls! 

Having been in New Mexico for at least a Bisesquiquinquennium; I'm more apt with Mexican Spanish than German these days and have indeed learned a large number of words none of my spanish instructors in school ever used in front of the students! so enjoy your enjoyment of your schadenfreude that my German is now peripatetic , (if not paralytic!) 

I'm trying to remember an appropriate word used by Jonathan Swift (and used by Heinlein in "Number of the Beast" to describe Sharpie),  Unfortunately I have not reread that book since my concussions and so can't even get the spelling even close enough for the net to guess, sigh) Perhaps I can dig it out over Thanksgiving when I have access to the rest of my library. (And so a great example of L'esprit de l'escalier even though there are no stairs around here!)