I Forge Iron

It followed me home

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

First thing I do when I get a new grinder is to take the guard off!  They get in the way and the grinding discs will let you know quickly you messed up.

Good way to get a day off without pay where I work... Or a 3 day suspension. Or just sent home. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Gazz said:

First thing I do when I get a new grinder is to take the guard off!  They get in the way.

First time you need the guard, you will understand why they are put in place.  The guards do not keep things from going wrong, they just try to contain or deflect things away from you. Your choice but please choose wisely.

In the 70's and 80's I worked in a shop that used 9" ARO air grinders.  I don't know how many hp these are rated at but they were powerful tools and required a 25hp air compressor that ran about constantly to keep them running.  None of them had guards on them as that is the way the owner liked them as did us folks who used them.  Every now and then, somebody would skin a knuckle or tickle his belly but never anything serious.  If you ever have to grind a complex shape in a tight spot, you will understand why the guards were removed.  If you can do the work with the guard in place, okay.  But if the only way to get where you need to go is with the guard off, you have no choice.  That is why the guards come off on my grinders.  I have been grinding on steel since 1970 so I have a few years of experience to shape my methods and opinions.  Working in this field, it is inevitable that you will get burned, cut or smash a finger.  Work with that in mind and think before you act.

Post photos of all sides, top, bottom, and any markings. A little flower or baby powder may bring out or enhance the markings. Dust it on and remove any excess on the surface of the metal, leaving the powder in the indentations.

58 minutes ago, JDC said:

Does anyone have info on how I might date the Trenton anvil?

Well, get to know it on a casual basis first. Getting together for lunch or coffee can be a great way to get to know each other without the pressure of dinner and a fancy evening. Spend more time listening than you do talking; try to find out what the Trenton might want from a relationship to see if that's the way you want to do as well. Respect the Trenton's boundaries, and don't try to take things too far too fast.

Had a pretty good haul today. Got around 300 pounds of soft coal. All that cost me was the $26 for the two cans to hold it in. Some more brass rod for handle pins and another pack of buffing compound. Some steel to make a rest for my new grinder attachment. And some maple and walnut wood for handle materials and whatever.

DSC_0685.thumb.JPG.0da5ae886943bdb65e259b2b3ef2bacf.JPG

DSC_0688.thumb.JPG.a4ef86280893f676b9a8f529da01dbca.JPG

DSC_0686.thumb.JPG.cf67fb1500c1efcde8ea78626eea6c8c.JPG

DSC_0687.thumb.JPG.4126b056a4b045864724b6ab067f0928.JPG

On 4/15/2018 at 1:25 PM, Frosty said:

Are you sure it's an ASO?

Hi Frosty, unfortunately it was an ASO. After receiving the delivery, I unpack the anvil and did a rebound test. As you see on the picture the ball leaves dent marks on the surface and ends up with lower than 25% of rebound. So the anvil (ASO) will only usable as decoration in the front yard but not for serious use. All the XXXXX for nothing (sorry Glenn, I know the etiquette). Will look further on GL to find a decent one.

DSC00415.JPG

DSC00417.JPG

I would use it as an experiment in brazing or silver soldering on a tool steel top plate.  One method I was thinking of for brazing would be to butter the top with a rosebud, then setting the heated top plate on it to sweat together.  Or doing it in a kiln.

14 hours ago, JHCC said:

Well, get to know it on a casual basis first. Getting together for lunch or coffee can be a great way to get to know each other without the pressure of dinner and a fancy evening. Spend more time listening than you do talking; try to find out what the Trenton might want from a relationship to see if that's the way you want to do as well. Respect the Trenton's boundaries, and don't try to take things too far too fast.

LOL. Same advice I gave to my two daughters entering dating. They did a pretty excellent job.

15 hours ago, Glenn said:

Post photos of all sides, top, bottom, and any markings. A little flower or baby powder may bring out or enhance the markings. Dust it on and remove any excess on the surface of the metal, leaving the powder in the indentations.

I'll go after some additional photos. So far the only visible markings are the ones I've posted up. I tried side angle shots, side lighting, etc, top rub with chalk, wet rub, which seemed the best, using chalk by writing in the indentations w/firm pad wipe off, photoshop . . .

I'm going to use some Naval Jelly to pull off the rust. Perhaps that will help. Wire drill brushing shows the Trenton logo about wore out on the right side, as well as the right side of the serial number past the third numeral, a zero.

Nice find. I have one that I ground to make fit the hardy hole and ground the flat on the top round. It's proven useful many times. 

Not sure if they are just plated or what but I ground mine before I knew more on chrome issues. 

image.jpg