• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice work! Would you mind stopping by and cleaning some of my stuff? 

When cutting angle iron you'll find it cuts better if you lay it V downwards. Laying flange up as in the pic is proper for cutting corners and such of course.

I LOVE my horizontal vertical metal bandsaw, it's the only power tool in the shop I'll put to work and go do something else.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:28 PM, Daswulf said:

Man, every time I see a chain on the highway it's in the no-go zone and not on the safe side. Anything fun for that matter. 

That’s why the chain is still there. Haha they rarely last long

Thanks Das!

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

When cutting angle iron you'll find it cuts better if you lay it V downwards.

Frosty, That is an excellent idea . (It really slows down on the flat portions). What about laying it with the ^ upwards? It would seem like it might be more securely held that way.

As far as stopping by and cleaning your stuff. Well, since we are practically neighbors... I'd be happy to pass along any advice and tips I've learned. :rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, HammerMonkey said:

What about laying it with the ^ upwards? It would seem like it might be more securely held that way.

I think you and Frosty mean the same thing: wide (open) side down (^) rather than wide side up (V). In other words, forming a pyramid rather than a seesaw.

Went out for a walk with Lisa and Gucci (feint;)), actually looking for some stone material to make a pedestal for the bronze sculptures. Finally found some Greystone (much to hard) and this two boundary markers (border stones) from chalkstone nearby some roman tumuli. After research I found out that the placed as township/boundary markers in the 18th century. A shame that they hurt by scratch marks of modern ploughs and dig out from the original position.

On top of one of them I even found some engraving in the form of an Y or X.  After reconsidering I think there too valuable to rework to something else. So looking for some easy shaping sandstone now.

DSC00345.JPG

DSC00346.JPG

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

I think you and Frosty mean the same thing: wide (open) side down (^) rather than wide side up (V). In other words, forming a pyramid rather than a seesaw.

Exactly, thanks John. Capitol A orientation, two edges on the table angle pointed up, open side down, so it will lay there without help, not tip over. Etc. etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sometimes I'm not as clear as I think I am describing the pictures in my mind. The voices  are often looking at something else you know.

Requests for clarification are gladly accepted soon as I check the comp.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hammer Monkey, the rule of thumb is that you want at least 3 teeth cutting across a section at all times. With thin stock you can sandwich it between some scrap pieces to get more width to keep the blade from stripping teeth off. By clamping angle in the "A" orientation you also get more uniform blade pressure resulting in straighter cuts.  Thin wall tube can present some problems when it gets to the sides, so match the blade pitch to the material being cut. Get good quality blades too.

DC, the very top coil that is ground flat would make an interesting tool for radius work since it goes from shallow to deep. Cut it off and flip it flat side down. . Not sure if I would leave it round, or straighten it out, but since you have one at each end you could do one of each.

Minor milestone: rather than my usual scrounging scrap and raiding the drop bin at the steel supplier, I finally bit the bullet and bought a couple of 20’ sticks of stock (3/8” round and 3/8” x 1” flat).

47E656A4-0717-47A3-96DB-41EF1064FD4E.jpeg

(In other news, this is why we travel with a hacksaw in the car.)

A vendor that visits my work place every week, happens to be an avid auction goer. He came accross what he thought was antique forge.  He thought of me and bought it.  When he told me about it later, I felt a little obligated to take it off his hands.  I'm glade he thought of me when he seen it anyway.  Just hope he don't spend to much on an item someday thinking I will buy it.

It is a Bryant No. 20 gas "Forge"  I think it was used for heating soldering irons.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it looks kind of neat anyway.  Will make a nice "wall hanger" for the $20 I gave him for it.

bryant forge1.jpg

bryant forge.jpg

bryant forge2.jpg

A couple overhead door springs at work broke the other day.  So when they replaced them I grabbed the broken ones for cheap.

They each are dual coil.  3/8" - 90 coils - 6.25" diameter.  And the smaller inside spring is 1/4"  - 121 coils - 4" diameter.  I paid for 184lbs of scrap at $0.10 per lbs.

So $18 for 294' of 3/8" and 188' of 1/4" spring steel.

Btw - anyone have any idea of the steel grade of oil tempered torsion springs for overhead doors?

springs.jpg

25 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Looks like a swage block to me!

Might be that! I was thinking about a base for a grinder but I don’t really need another one. 

17 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Giant Space invaders ship. :D

I’m not a gamer enough for that.