Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JHCC,

Another source for lead are dive shops that rent equipment.  (many of them do).  The belts contain lead. Some of the shops have weight belt leads that tend to get banged up, dented with some paint peeling off.

Many of these are replaced, and the old stock should sell for a good price.

Paint remover will get rid of the remaining paint, and you are good to go.

Please do not inhale the lead fumes for a high.

Regards,

SLAG.

2 minutes ago, SLAG said:

Another source for lead are dive shops that rent equipment.

Interesting. My boss’s husband runs a dive shop. I’ll ask her, if I need some more. At the moment, I’m thinking what I’ve got will probably be enough.

Oh, forgot to mention: picked up a 36” piece of heavy-walled 1” square tube from the side of the road. 

On 2/11/2018 at 5:47 PM, Daswulf said:

stainless oven belt,

Das, that stuff gives me nightmares.I worked in an onion ring factory. the 2nd worst thing I had to do was change the belts on the friers in the middle of a shift, above 300 gal. of 360deg.f oil. The worst was fixing the belt in the flash freezer at -40 deg f.

Quote Daswulf: Well 2 of the belts followed his brother here to end up with me. :rolleyes: they had sold on the house the stuff was in and had to move the rest of it to storage. I think it was a conspiracy between his wife and brother. Now I almost feel bad. 

I know the feeling. When the county trashed $15K of my personal property it was gut wrenching. One question would be is if he still refurbishes the machines or if that stopped with the move. If he still does, than I will leave the decision up to you as to what you want to do. If you move it on, just shoot me a PM with the width, wire spacing (pitch), and a close up picture of the edge loop. If it will work I will work on my end to get you the best price.

I did my weekly Las Vegas Valley neighborhood exploration and garage sale hunt. Picked up a 1900-1920's straight razor with original box in great shape for $1, a bunch of punches,chisels, hammers, etc to add to the pile. Found some items to resell, so the expenditures may be a wash, or possibly a decent profit when all is said and done.

I now have a computer back at the house, and need to locate my cables for my camera so I can post some pictures of the goodies I bring home.

sfeile , this was a totally random find. He had a bunch of kitchen knives in a bin.  I love to cook, and I am always on the lookout for good knives that I can use or resell. I pulled a couple out and saw this black box in the bottom. I opened it up, and got all excited to see a straight. I got really excited when I pulled it out and saw how nice it was. Then I asked him how much, and he said that bin was $1 each. I also picked up an Estwing  ax from him for $5. I have been hitting garage sales since the 80's, and I have only seen a couple in that time. They are not that expensive $10-$15 in the antique shops, but $1 was especially nice. My best razor score was a Gillette Executive in the faux ostrich skin travel case for $4 at a thrift shop. I recognized Gillette as a good brand and gambled on it since it had a case. Turns out the Executive was only made in 1949 and 1950, and cost $10 when other safety razors were $2. It is also the only fully rhodium plated Gillette razor. Value on the razor alone is $200-$300 depending on condition. Mine is in beautiful condition. The one in the picture is one from a Google search that has all of the items that came with it new.

I have been asked how I find these great deals at garage sales. I ask them how many sales have they gone to, and they say 10 or 20. And I say that is your problem right there, my business partner and I have hit 95 in one day alone. It is all about odds. The more you play the better the odds.

image.thumb.png.fa6b4a74d399db5cf7e983a5e865717e.png

That gillette is a great find too. I find a few around, but there aren't many people around here. My collection of about 60 razors (DE's, SE's, and straights) about 22 brushes, and 25(ish) soaps, is like a museum for this area. Most people around don't even know there really is such a thing anymore. I enjoy using them though.

Closest I get is that I have a couple of old microtomes that look like straight razors for a Sweeny Todd production.  One is Bausch & Lomb IIRC.

I'm trying to remember when last I used a razor: Lets see I shaved both beard & moustache for my job interview and the 6 month probationary period in 1989/90.

I shaved my beard for for my job interview in 2004.

I didn't shave anything for my job interview in 2013.

I'll probably grow my beard out and braid it for my retirement...

So except for surgical shaves done by others while I'm out, 2004 would have been the last time I shaved.  Now I demonstrate the dragon's breath on my propane forges by burning the hair on my forearms with it.  (Makes students pay attention to the "Do NOT bend over moving your head through the dragon's breath if you drop something in front of the forge!")

On 2/13/2018 at 3:29 AM, Stitch said:

Come and get my propane lead melting pot!

I ended up putting the one-pound chunks into the hammer head, melting the foils in a tin can on the forge, and pouring the melted lead over the chunks. Worked great, and the head weight is perfect. Thanks anyway!

Stitch, lots of info on the web for the razor. Just Google Myatt ladies razor.

I finally figured out what the odd looking "puller" I bought awhile back was. I have seen these offset leg items around and no one who had one knew what it was used for. The other issue was that they were not marked except for maybe a country of manufacture. I finally found another one made by Craftsman with a PN. and looked it up. The puller is actually a valve spring compressor for when the head stays on the engine.

image.png

Reminds me of reading my great-grandfather's memoirs (he was an Episcopalian missionary in Alaska in the late 19th and early 20th centuries) about his listening to the BBC news broadcasts on a cat's whisker radio. The signals came over the North Pole with perfect clarity, and he found when he would go back east on furlough that he was often better informed on European affairs than the folks back home.