• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Smoggy said:

the calibrated ring from a rotary table

In some industrial circles, known as a compass rose, salvaged from a maritime navigation system. Ain't goin nowhere til the day I die!

Note the very fine gear teeth on the periphery - there's gonna be some engineering goin on alright!

Edited by Anachronist58
Addendum

A friend at church works at a local sawmill, and he just happened to find a few pieces of bandsaw blades lying around.  These are some serious blades!  The shiny circle on the bottom blade is a quarter for size reference.

Bandsaw Blades.jpg

I cut an inch off one end of a big blade to get a full cross-section, heated it to orange and quenched in water.  After placing it in a vise, I tapped it lightly with a small hammer, and it broke in two pieces above the vice.  No visible grain in the breaks.  So yes, it's very hardenable, all the way to the rear edge of the blade.  It did twist and warp like crazy in the quench, though.  Would 5160 be good to stack with it in a billet?

Olfart

Order some thin 1080 to go with that bandsaw blade. Or better yet, O1. Even if your not making a knife, the contrast will look great. 

Zero

That is a fantastic haul! Punches, chisels, knives, oh my!

JHCC

Throw a handle on, and call your striker! That peen would work a treat for drawing out thick stock. 

1 hour ago, Will W. said:

Throw a handle on, and call your striker! That peen would work a treat for drawing out thick stock. 

It's a bit smaller than the 16# Atha stone splitting hammer I picked up last spring (below, on the right), which has been working well as my striker's favorite hammer -- he calls it "The Mastadon". This one has a much more usable peen, though, so I think this will open up some interesting avenues for us. Maybe “The Baby Mastadon”?

1D268C54-076F-44EE-8D0D-FA1274B3B893.jpeg

12 hours ago, Daswulf said:

They sure look used from the photo. Sealed boxes? Sometimes techs toss the old parts in the box the new part comes in. 

Still, great tool material. 

I did think the same when I opened a few but they were all sealed, apparently just been stored for a very long time in some very bad conditions.

The one on the top was out of the scrap bin though. :D 

I try not to buy too much stuff from the scrap bin at work as it usually cost my employer more to gennerate the invoice than i pay for the scrap but i couldent resist when i saw theese 2 bars of 1 1/4 sq 4140 hra 84" long about 80 lbs in all at .09 cents a pound worked out to 8 bucks ish 

so cheap it feels like steal ing ...

IMG_1529.JPG

4 minutes ago, Judson Yaggy said:

They put that in the scrap bin and then worry about invoicing an employee for "scrap" worth less than $10?  Weird.  Penny wise pound foolish?

I have the same issue where I work. I get some scrap pieces on occasion but instead of putting my cash in the cash box they actually invoice it. 

It is a big as in billion dollar steel company we process hotroll toolsteel plate into barstock at my plant there are bars this size come off evry plate but they usually have a hotroll edge which is cut off as to near the edge will have micro fractures theese bars where cut undersize and there was not a smaller size to take them to so i got luckey 

the lady from accounting says it costs the company 44$ when we generate an invoice i guess tgey paid me 36$ to take it off thier hands lol