• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the fleamarket today I came across a set of extra long tip cleaners---just what I had needed when some wee beastie had crudded up my burner orifice recently!  US$1  I was so happy I bought the set of regular length ones he had for a buck too!

Also a power screwdriver to 3/8" drive for sockets adapter.  (I have a 1/2" drive one for my brace and bit and once won a bet on who could drive a bunch of lag bolts faster, the brace or a battery powered driver.  It lost umph fairly fast and couldn't torque them all the way end by the end of the race. No my name is not John Henry, I'm still here!)

Also a small carpenter's framing square to cut down for a hook rule, a bit rusty but it was an old one with well stamped gradations and so will clean up nice.

Then picked up a load of wood from my brother's place for our wood stove. I've cut about 2/3 of it with a bow saw and will haul it north this weekend.  Good exercise!

We have a sort of renovation and improvement kinda thing going on at the factory I work in. Keeping a keen eye on scrap, I found these tossed in the metal bin. No idea what the plates were for or what kind of steel they are. The bearings are in excellent condition, they were probably put away only because their calculated operation time was up. I've been asking around if there would be some axle pieces or whatnot I could take with me. We have some heavy duty rollers weighing over 2000kg, I guess an axle part from one would make a great anvil. Is it bad to wish the maintenance guys fumble with the mounting? :D That said, mostly these improvements end up as Schlimmbesserung, an improvement that makes things worse(thanks, @JHCC! My work buddies had a laughing fit over this).

The plates are 200mm(7.9")*200mm*10mm(0.4"). Any suggestions what to do with them? I was thinking of making a face for a portable hardy hole, but I'm not sure if the material is thick enough. Don't know what to do with the bearings either... they're 80mm(3.1") outer dia.*40mm(1.6") inner dia. *30mm(1.2").

LpXZ78dm.jpg

gAKekdZm.jpg

I recently got some rather nice goodies for $250 total. The rusty vice is... useable, it can open about 2" before the broken screw disengages, other than that it just needs a handle and a spring. The other guy is much nicer and is in practically pristine condition, the jaws perfectly mate, it opens up, it doesn't jiggle. It's also quite old, as the leg has been forge welded on and it's been stamped with "H.G.M". The other stuff is a slot punch, the hammer head is a half-round swage, and there is a bolt tong and one for half-round.

The rusty one is probably going into iron-in-the-hat at the next meeting, I'm sure someone will appreciate that as a project.

DSCF4256.JPG

DSCF4257.JPG

DSCF4258.JPG

The plates are 200mm(7.9")*200mm*10mm(0.4"). Any suggestions what to do with them? I was thinking of making a face for a portable hardy hole, but I'm not sure if the material is thick enough. 

Hi MG,

It's very useful to have 10mm plate around in the shop. Maybe not for a portable hole though. (Unless you weld together 2-3 pieces.) But you can build a guillotine tool. I think 10mm is enough for the structural wall thickness. You can find some 10-12mm thick leafsprings for dies, and as soon as you get the sizes of the die stock you can start the build... (I think you also can buy new springsteel, most likely 56Si7 as flat stock. That way once you have the first set of dies and built the frame around them you can buy exactly as much steel as you need. That's the time when new stock is cheaper then scrap :) )

Of course this is just one way to go, that plate is very good for other stuff, too.

Bests:

Gergely

Sorry for double posting, but I had a real "facepalm" moment today.

8fDBCpum.jpg

Ha! This one didn't exactly follow me home, it's always been here. So I've had an anvil for like six years now, meeeh! Though it's only 10-15cm long, not a whole lot of mass. Have to fix it firmly to whatever I'll use as a stand.

I haven't had luck with them yet. I had one place that said they were getting ready to toss one but wasn't quite time. When I went back they didn't hold on to it like they said they would. I hadn't found another yet that had them. Truth is it was a casual search and not as hard as I should've been. But I think that my $17.20 for three came pretty close to your $5 each. :) When I saw them at the flea market a couple weeks back I knew I could do better than the $15 each the only guy I found with them wanted for them. 

If these turn out as good as they are reported to be I'll be increasing my effort looking for a better source. Of course they're all over eBay with a 'Best Offer' button so that's still an option. 

I recently visited my youngest brother in Colorado Springs.   He had picked up the 2 blowers for me for $75 for the pair.  The one on the right is only marked 476 and is frozen up.  The one on the left is marked Royal Western Chief by Canedy Otto.  It turns fine if a bit stiff and needs to be cleaned up.   The chain binder, wrought iron pick and other tools came from the fleamarket for a total of $10.

The big prize was on the way home though.  My Great Uncle was a well known artist (BJO Nordfeldt).   A couple years ago another brother bought an auction lot which had 6 of my great uncle's dry point etching plates.   My brother had found someone to print the 6 plates and we dropped them off on the way to CS and picked them up on the way home.  You really couldn't see what was on the plates so this one was a big surprise.  Research afterward show a print at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC titled "The Forge, Engelhom, Sweden, Circa 1907.  If you would like to see some other prints by my great uncle google search "Philadelphia museum nordfeldt"

IMG_20170906_164432_064.jpg

IMG_20170908_182250_247.jpg

In the "It DIDN'T follow me home" department, I noticed this morning that the cherry pickers were gone from next to the college chapel, giving unimpeded access to the dumpster whence I'd salvaged those ~90 pieces of wrought iron bar. I thought, "Great! I'll stop by later and see if I can get to the parts I couldn't previously reach." 

But alas, by the time I went home for lunch, the dumpster had been hauled away. If there was any WI left in there, it's on its way to the landfill now....

I was at tractor supply this evening and glanced at the book rack as I went by. To my surprise I found "The Blacksmiths Craft." So today, after about 4 years or so going off what I've found on the internet, I bought my first blacksmith related book. I've seen it suggested to many new people and thought it wouldn't hurt to have since I still know so little.