I Forge Iron

It followed me home

19 minutes ago, Jclonts82 said:

JHCC, what discipline? I'm a Pharmacist working for Indian Health Services. O-7!!! Thats no joke.

He's a nephrologist by training, but has done all sorts of stuff. One of his last projects was helping set up a women's hospital in Kabul after the Taliban got kicked out. I think he may have done some work with the Indian Health Service too, so you might know him: his name is Vincent Berkley.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jclonts82 said:

Yessir, Lt Clonts, USPHS. Still O-3 rank, but naval ranks. I Picked it up on the way home, still in uniform, didn't wan't it to run away ;)

JHCC, what discipline? I'm a Pharmacist working for Indian Health Services. O-7!!! Thats no joke. 

You could salute, but my return would probably be horrible in form!

Oh, and Frosty, the truck was borrowed... I drive a nissan versa... SUPER-manly

Okay good, I'm no  good at hating anything anyway. Still haven't answered my question, Are those cup holders in the tailgate liner? Seriously, you have NO idea how many times I've had to put my coffee cup on the ground working out of the truck. It's one of those insulated, stainless steel cups you see at Starbucks and if I snap the cover closed it won't leak laying on its side. Still it'd be nice to have a cup holder back there. <Sigh>

Thanks for serving. I think it's you guys who do more to spread freedom than all the diplomats that ever lived. Healthy people have so much less reason to cause trouble.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Okay good, I'm no  good at hating anything anyway. Still haven't answered my question, Are those cup holders in the tailgate liner? Seriously, you have NO idea how many times I've had to put my coffee cup on the ground working out of the truck. It's one of those insulated, stainless steel cups you see at Starbucks and if I snap the cover closed it won't leak laying on its side. Still it'd be nice to have a cup holder back there. <Sigh>

Thanks for serving. I think it's you guys who do more to spread freedom than all the diplomats that ever lived. Healthy people have so much less reason to cause trouble.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty

Yes they are. I have similar ones on mine. Came with the truck.

Guess they are for tailgating. Works better then trying to set a cup or soda bottle on the ribbed part.

Mel

Naw, my cup holder isn't a forgery, it's the real thing. The pic below is my all terrain cup holder. I made it a few years ago for a get together it's versatile but a handful.

Truth is I keep thinking about it when I need one but I don't remember to make one when I'm in the shop. One that'll hang off a stake pocket would be perfect, maybe put a flash light clip on it too. 

I'll have to write myself a note.

Frosty The Lucky.

Shovelbook02.JPG.5828cc6e6db31074e362b4cbebf55966.JPG

One Quad State a fellow was selling off a pile of industrial tongs; many of them just about right to hold a soda can and smiths were making them into can holders by pointing one rein for driving into the dirt and bending and spiraling up the other rein to be the opener and gravity powered holder.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

One Quad State a fellow was selling off a pile of industrial tongs; many of them just about right to hold a soda can and smiths were making them into can holders by pointing one rein for driving into the dirt and bending and spiraling up the other rein to be the opener and gravity powered holder.

Not to put you on the spot but I have to ask. Do you happen to have any pictures? Sounds like a fun project if I had tongs like that lying around but not enough fun to make any just for that project. 

Makes me wonder about other tools and implements one might could make use of like that. 

Found a post vise on Craigslist today and told my friend in need of one about it. We stopped down after work and got to talking and I came home with these treasures. The block is 2"x4"x9" with 3/4" holes.  Some usable tongs, star drills in all sizes ( great to make into punches) and other scrap art goodies. And a 4ton portapower not pictured. 

Very nice gentleman. There will be another trip to this place as he has much more unboxed. He wasn't sure what I meant by wanting junk gears, tools and stuff for scrap metal sculptures until I showed him some pictures of some things I've made, then a lightbulb when off and he realized what kind of stuff I was looking for. He gave me the braces, hand crank and steel block for free. 

image.jpg

My most recent attempt at talking to people resulting in my turning down a big punch and two big chisels for ten bucks. Each.

(Blacksmithing-related talking, that is. The talking I get paid to do is going just fine.)

Well once you get to making your own tools it is hard to justify certain prices. I have come way down in prices on certain tools with the more experience and knowledge I have gained. 

It comes down to what you can make from what and is it cheaper to buy it. 

Last Sunday my wife and I went for a afternoon drive and a walk on the beach (North shore of Lake Ontario.) With the high water levels this year areas that had 20 to 30 feet of beach can be down to 6, leaving you the choice to either wade or take the obstacle course.  Anyways with the heavy wave action on the shore quite a bit of the shore scree has been churned up. Came home with a piece of wrought iron about 42 by 1 1/4 by 1/4 inches. Either a runner from a sled or part of a buggy tire (two visible forge welds and there could be other welds that are not so visible. Also found a brace or bracket? 3 stamped clips and a cone of 1/8 inch sheet. For scale the pavers are roughly 8 1/4 by 6 3/4 inches. I do want to go back, there's about 30 plus feet of 1/2 inch steel cable washed with the remains of a boat dock.

Don

Beach.jpg

Beach Finds.jpg

both the runner and the tyre will have the curved race on one side.  However it could have been both!  Old tyres were often reused for other projects.  I've seen a lot of things that have the typical curved face of a tyre  now forged into something else.  (through sled runners are not as common out here...)

little trip to the scrap yard for my birthday. got a little metal barrel for a oil quench tub,  quite a few traps, a couple files, a scythe blade, a HUGE wrench, a small ford wrench, a neat cobbler shoe repair stand thingy, I thought it was very fitting as the brand on the side is "eclipse", then a pattent date of something like 1894.also a little pully, and just some other things.

Littleblacksmith 

IMG_6963[2].JPG

IMG_6964[1].JPG

IMG_6965[1].JPG

IMG_6966[1].JPG

IMG_6967[1].JPG

IMG_6968[1].JPG

IMG_6969[1].JPG

Yesterday I went to harbor freight for some tie downs. Did get them.

They had some open box items marked down over 90%.

I scored a 6hp motor for $8.00. I guess it was a surprise to the guy that rang me up.

He did not seem happy about it.

Still sold it too me, reluctantly.

Mel

On 8/21/2017 at 10:29 AM, Melw45 said:

I scored a 6hp motor for $8.00. I guess it was a surprise to the guy that rang me up.

Still sold it too me, reluctantly.

I know you felt just a little bit like you were stealing when you walked out of there!   I would have run to my truck before a manager followed me out to the parking lot.  Congrats on the sweet deal!