I Forge Iron

It followed me home

And poked your finger too?! :o Oh the humanity! Oh you poor boy, please allow me offer my assistance, if you'll ship all that horrid old JUNK to me I'll see it gets dealt with appropriately. I have a disaster fund set up specifically for the purpose. (Of course the disaster is trying to get my shop clean enough to put anything else in it.)

Yes, I feel much better now, thank you. Keep us in the loop please. How about a better pic of the anvil? We don't want it feeling neglected now do we?

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This will be following me home tomorrow !! oh the ease of moving heavy anvils and any other heavy items... even it close tight areas !! this is the smallest forklift ever made !! its a Clark Trucloader !! made from 1945 - 1967...  it weighs 2500 lbs. with a lift rating of 1000lbs. and 9 ft. max lift height.. its 28" wide and 52" long not including the forks.. takes up about as much space as two trash cans !! and fits through a man door  !!  the orange one is mine, the other two are to show the size better.. the man standing next to his is 6' tall..

16361[1].jpg

fl1[1].jpg

fork-truck-clark-trb-1963-52404[1].jpg

On 8/15/2017 at 5:58 AM, ausfire said:

That seems a bit drastic. A chain would have done to quieten them down.

However, a hornless anvil is still useful in the shop. Here's one I found in the scrap a while ago. It would do 95% of what I make.

was that one cut off or busted off? it looks in good shape other than the horn missing, just interesting because typically when the horn breaks off, it's from someone doing heavy blows with a large hammer or a sledge, and so is edge chipping, but there don't seem to be much if any chipping.

Littleblacksmith

Ah the old days in S. Cal. Dad used to make regular shopping trips to a salvage yard in Burbank (I THINK it was Burbank) and I tagged along every chance I got. It was the coolest place on earth it was about 60 acres of every kind of salvage S. Cal. industry generated. There were ocean mines stacked 4 deep in a double row probably 60'+ long. Ever need a rocket engine? There were no less than 3 Saturn 5 engines. Stacked Aegena boosters, and ore. Ever sit in a Mercury, Gemini or Apollo capsule? I didn't bother to count them. There were decommissioned bombs of all kinds. Aerospace salvage. You name it.

Dad was usually shopping for die making alloys primarily NuDie V. I was looking for, at cools stuff. I'd picked out a small LOX tank I wanted to make into an insulated lunch pail till Dad noticed the beryllium alloy stamps and nixed the coolest lunch bucket in the 10th. grade. 

That salvage yard is the inspiration for the old TV show "Salvage 1" 

If it's even still there I'll bet there's no picking allowed. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh yeah, loved the army surplus store! Dad bought my M1 Carbine at an army surplus store and the 8mm. German Mauser he sportereized at an army surplus store. We visited quite few stores looking for just the right Mauser. It's upstairs, Dad gave it to me when he stopped hunting. Supposedly he was making it for me but I never got to hunt with it, I had to use the 30 06 another surplus store buy.

There is a "surplus" store in Wasilla just packed full of military looking stuff made in China. It takes an industrious people to make brand new surplus eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

20 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

was that one cut off or busted off? it looks in good shape other than the horn missing, just interesting because typically when the horn breaks off, it's from someone doing heavy blows with a large hammer or a sledge, and so is edge chipping, but there don't seem to be much if any chipping.

Littleblacksmith

Doesn't look like it was cut off. Perhaps just a clean break. Anyway, it's still useful.

29 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

Found myself a coil spring on the edge of the highway on my way home from work today. Looked like someone got bumped a little too hard right there. Not sure how the coil spring fell out in an accident that left so little mess.

Roadkill is roadkill!

1 hour ago, Michael Cochran said:

I go to a chuckle when I saw it lying there, first thing I thought was 'I got my roadkill today, wonder if he did?'

No, the only think I saw that looked rusty turned out to be a piece of brown wood.

Oh my dainty little thing isn't she? Beautiful old lady, good for you.

Forgive my ignorance please but are those cup holders built into your bed liner?! Great, now I have bed liner envy! I'm going to have go back to hating you for a while and maybe stop looking at your posts at all.  <snivel snivel>

Frosty The Lucky.

I see the uniform, there. Thank you for your service!

(My wife's uncle is a retired USPHS Rear Admiral.)

9 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Sow what to the pair of silver bars denote in the US public health service, Mr. Clonts? Being ex Army I think Captain and whant to salute...

Lieutenant. The Commissioned Corps uses pretty much the same rank structure and insignia as the US Navy.

Yessir, Lt Clonts, USPHS. Still O-3 rank, but naval ranks. I Picked it up on the way home, still in uniform, didn't wan't it to run away ;)

JHCC, what discipline? I'm a Pharmacist working for Indian Health Services. O-7!!! Thats no joke. 

You could salute, but my return would probably be horrible in form!

Oh, and Frosty, the truck was borrowed... I drive a nissan versa... SUPER-manly