I Forge Iron

It followed me home

33 minutes ago, Marc1 said:

Lovely welder. Reminds me when I bought my first 250A MIG, what a difference it makes to AC transformer welder!

One thing I learned is that when it is windy, and the argon get's blown away, you want to use flux cored wire, that far from what I thought it's actually a very good and hot weld. Furthermore if you try thicker core fluxed wire and change the torch bits accordingly you will be able to weld very thick material. 

I mainly weld in my shop so I don't have to worry about wind, but if I end up outside on a large project I'll keep that in mind.  The machine has a good chart inside the access door with all the settings for metal type and thickness and wire size etc. it'll come in handy until I know this machine as well as my Lincoln 135. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Daswulf said:

That's the plan. My small welder has paid for itself many times over. It just can't do the big stuff. So now I can start doing the big stuff. It's an investment. :) 

Now THAT'S electro shock therapy I can appreciate! Good choice Das it's a workhorse that'll do you well.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have pushed the limits of that little welder and it has still treated me right. Now it wont need to be pushed to the limits. It will still get lots of use but now it has a big brother for the heavy lifting. 

Thanks Frosty. It's got it's work cut out for it. :) 

I hear ya. I've done some multi pass welding to get bigger stuff together with my 135. Then I bought a stick welder for the bigger stuff - now that's a learning experience I'll be working on for some time. And with the little MIG, I thought I was getting pretty good at welding - LOL! That stick welding's just embarrassing. :blink:

One of the best investments you can make is taking some night welding courses at a local community college. I took the stick, mig, and tig courses after the blacksmithing classes. Another plus was the tuition included all of the rod you could burn in a semester, and scrap steel that was 10¢ a pound for projects.

Metal detecting I found some stuff I can use.  found what was left of an old Harrow, and what was left of some hanes. also got an old stove lid, and a large gear of some sort. the harrow is all wrought iron except for the spikes. There is a neat forge weld on one of the pieces, and the eyes on the two long pieces that are about 3/8 have facets made from the forging of them. neat stuff.

IMG_5927[1].JPG

IMG_5928[1].JPG

IMG_5929[1].JPG

IMG_5932[1].JPG

IMG_5931[1].JPG

2 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Metal detecting I found some stuff I can use.  found what was left of an old Harrow,

the harrow is all wrought iron except for the spikes. 

Oh, I love the old harrows as forging stock, nice old mild steel or wrought. Of course this applies here, one pond away. Funnily I just found a harrow that has wrougnt iron only in the teeth and none in the body.

That is what it is Irondragon. Thanks for the heads up on hardy tools. I plan on making quite a few things out of this steel. My understanding is that it is very forgiving to quench. I ordered 5 gallons of Parks 50 today, but plan on trying to water quench this in the beginning.

Hey das, glad to see a shiny new machine in the shop. Glad yer feelin better.

Good score with the metal detector LBS.

I followed some advise from here and stopped by a suspension shop the other day.... a couple bucks and a couple rune keychains scored me a few chuncks of leaf spring, about a dozen or so. I emailed the manufacturers tech dept to see exactly what alloy they are made from. Even if i dont find out, it is better than old leaf spring material. After using it for a few small items and having cracks show up when yer halfway through the project is no fun. I finally realized that i need to find some new steel.

20170315_191541.jpg

That's a good score Brian. A friend got me some drops from a spring shop a while ago. One piece wound up the spring for my beefy post vise. 

New steel is always better. Hopefully they can get back to you on what it is to save the guesswork and experiments. 

Good scores, one and all!

Good to hear people like their little Lincolns - I have a 140C that I've only run with InnerShield so far and have yet to get back into the swing of it.

So many things follow me home on continuous basis, that I could never post them all here.

My buddy asked how I intended to get that thing off the truck - Eyegor the Eyesore, AKA the White Crane,  will pick anything my fake pickup can carry.

What followed me home yesterday is going to help me organize a lot of the small stuff that has been following me home over the years - weighs about 300#:

20170315_123043.jpg

20170315_123147.jpg

20170315_124532.jpg

That's a neat crane Robert. I don't have any level ground to be able to use anything like that. 

With your score there, the hardest part it actually organizing it all. I have bins and boxes full of automotive bolts, clips and parts that slowly over the years get organized. It gets used too. One way or another. 

19 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

That's a neat crane Robert. I don't have any level ground to be able to use anything like that. 

Niether do I, dude. What, you live on a cliff?

But  seriously anything on Wheels tries to head for the highway:wacko:

Edited by Anachronist58
addendum

I practically do live on a cliff. At least a hill. I have had some scary moments moving things. The only level space is the driveway at the house and In the house and In the shop. The gas meters down in my yard outside of my shop have had some close calls to being wiped out. I can imagine the terror of seeing something you are moving on wheels heading towards a highway. :o 

7 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

What followed me home yesterday is going to help me organize a lot of the small stuff that has been following me home over the years - weighs about 300#:

Wow, 45 drawers! What a treasure! Or treasure holder maybe... Very nice score. 

The crane is nice, too :)

Bests:

G

53 minutes ago, Gergely said:

Wow, now I'm more envious about  the crane as I was about the chest... :) (What do you call it btw? Chest, cupboard, drawer something?)

Bests:

G

Gergely, I believe the succinct name would be "cabinet of drawers" (correction welcome), or in my trade, a "tooling index".

As for Eyegor, spelled Igor, its main purpose is to help me fulfill my dream of building kinetic sculpture.

In the picture, it was being used to pull 400 feet of well pipe in the neighbors yard, inaccessible to a truck rig.

The tribe bought us a steak dinner.

Cheers -

Robert

Okay, thank you, Robert!

yesterday a book followed me home: A Concise History of Modern Sculpture by Herbert Read. (The Hungarian version) I saved it from the rain :)

And a beautiful and big (~25kg/55lbs) stake anvil did not follow me home for my great sorrow...

Bests:

Gergely

Discovered the drop bin at a local steel supplier and grabbed some 1/4" square and some 1/4" x 3/4" flat bar (all mild) for $0.75/lb. 

My mechanic called to tell me he has some coil springs and axles waiting for me. 

And here it all is:

IMG_2478.JPG