• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A bucket load of these stainless steel discs appeared on my gatepost today. One of my neighbours works at an engineering shop. No idea what to do with them but something will present itself. They would make ideal bases for small sculptures. They vary in thickness from 6mm to about 15mm and in diameter from 20mm to over 100mm.

DSC_7089.JPG

7 hours ago, ausfire said:

A bucket load of these stainless steel discs appeared on my gatepost today. One of my neighbours works at an engineering shop. No idea what to do with them but something will present itself. They would make ideal bases for small sculptures. They vary in thickness from 6mm to about 15mm and in diameter from 20mm to over 100mm.

Or you can try some flowers. With the thicker SS stock a powerhammer may come handy though :)

These are 36 mm dia 3mm thick plate scrap and some bycicle spokes. And some scrap 1mm plate pieces for leaves. - These are pretty easy to forge, but I think a 8mm thick stainless resists the flowering a bit more ;) 

Bests:

Gergely

2016 10 viragos ret06.jpg

2016 10 kis virágok.jpg

13 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

I'm not a black powder expert at all, sooo...

I'm not an Expert either but have made a dozen or so muzzleloaders and the one hanging over my fireplace is a percussion and doesn't have the pan, what you picture might be is a converted flint to percussion?  Many Flints were remodeled to Percussion around the Civil war time. No need for a pan on a percussion rifle. 

Just my opinion here.   

No more advertising their brand and you could tell if someone was trying to do a repair with a different brand part.

Funny thing I took a walk Sunday and out by the back fence line I found a bunch of old farm equipment including a plow and a manure spreader.  I'll have to talk with my landlords...

3 hours ago, notownkid said:

I'm not an Expert either but have made a dozen or so muzzleloaders and the one hanging over my fireplace is a percussion and doesn't have the pan, what you picture might be is a converted flint to percussion?  Many Flints were remodeled to Percussion around the Civil war time. No need for a pan on a percussion rifle. 

Just my opinion here.   

X2 on the conversion.  I shoot muzzleloaders and that one looks like a flint to percussion mod to me as well.

On 2016-12-05 at 3:21 AM, littleblacksmith said:

I didn't think it was a flintlock, don't really have any reason why, I just thought it was a muzzle loading percussion cap one. thoughts? obviously if it was a percussion cap lock plate, than it was missing the lock plate, but if it was part of a flint lock, it missing the frizzen , frizzen spring, etc..

I'm not a black powder expert at all, sooo...

here is a picture-

But now, after looking through google images some more, it looks like it could just as likely be a flintlock. I really don't know though, but it doesn't look like there was a place for the frizzon spring. Any experts in the crowd? well of course there is, on the internet everyone is an expert! That was meant as a joke, there doesn't seem to be really any "know it alls" who don't actually know it all.

Littleblacksmith

Many flintlocks were rebuilt to percussion leaving more or less traces of the original design

Oops already said

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, Gergely said:

Or you can try some flowers. With the thicker SS stock a powerhammer may come handy though :)

These are 36 mm dia 3mm thick plate scrap and some bycicle spokes. And some scrap 1mm plate pieces for leaves. - These are pretty easy to forge, but I think a 8mm thick stainless resists the flowering a bit more ;) 

Bests:

Gergely

Thanks for the idea of the flowers. They look good. I don't have a power hammer but the lighter 6mm discs could possibly work with a bit of effort - especially being stainless. I'll give it a try.

8 hours ago, gote said:

Many flintlocks were rebuilt to percussion leaving more or less traces of the original design

what you said and the others sounds like that's right. I couldn't really find any pictures of percussion cap ones like that, so yeah, now that ya'll mention it, it think you are right. I still haven't had a chance to set up the electrolysis tank, but really need to. Oh yeah, wow, I almost forgot to mention that on that same metal detecting adventure, I found my first piece of gold. Its a 14K gold ring, with (what we think are) 5 small, small diamonds. I've been metal detecting for about 7 years, and this is my first piece of gold, now I've only been metal detecting "seriously" for about 3.

Gergely, those are very nice flowers, and very realistic looking leaves. Were those also made from the spokes? what finish did you put on it? polyurethane?

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5436[1].JPG

IMG_5433[1].JPG

I found an 18k gold ring at a lake once. I haven't cashed it in yet, but the jeweler tested it and said he'd give me 55 bucks for it as scrap. I'm holding on to it in case the value goes up. (or if I marry someone with huge fingers)

OK, now that just ain't right to take a picture of a revolver and not tell us anything about it! (I'm a single action revolver guy.)

Well, in the "It didn't follow me home" department, I spotted a metal-legged workbench put out on the curb around the corner from my house. By the time I got home, got the van, and returned, some guy from the city had picked it up for his own use. Darn!